Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belfast may lose First World War ship

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
SoylentGreen said:

Thanks SG, at least this news is a relief. 'The 95-year-old warship is likely to remain in commission until at least 2011' Only the RNR are moving out to Lisburn and the RN C/O Cdr Quinn is staying put for the time being.

SoylentGreen

Badgeman
No probs. This link tells something of the work going on behind the scenes to arrive at a - hopefully local - solution.

The decommissioning ceremony went off well - nobody happy about it but at least satisfaction can be taken that we did our jobs well.

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
From what I can gather, many people in NI know very little about HMS Caroline, myself included until I made a point of going down to see her and finding out more about her. The one upside of the media attention she has been getting recently, such as in the Belfast Telegraph, is that more people are becoming aware if her. (Although, I was told by somebody last week that the ship itself was being moved to Theipval Barracks...)

Does anyone know if there is any chance of being able to see around her as a member of the public, or as somebody currently in the recruitment process?

SoylentGreen

Badgeman
There'll be no access after the 11th at all except by certain personnel. There is of course a load of elf'n'safety involved.

Given the security states during the past 25 years odd, it is of course entirely natural that many people in NI know little of Caroline. Although people elsewhere may wonder how this is possible, it's not as if she's sat in a dock right in the centre of Belfast where all and sundry can see her.

If there's any fans of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, think of her as being surrounded by a SEP invisibility field (Somebody Else's Problem). See here. As this object raises too many questions people just don't see it :lol: as evidenced by the gent who wandered up to the front gate and asked a guard "Here mate.. my son says there's some WW1 warship around here... do you know where it is?" "Ummm... just look over my left shoulder..." :roll:

There was talk of normalisation up until the Massereene killings, then of course security became the priority again.

Hopefully now the security implications will dissolve, her cause can be widely publicised and maybe even this gift of a ship can become the centre of some maritime heritage museum. You wouldn't believe the amount of tourists walk the two miles up Queen's Island to look at the Thompson dry dock where Titanic was outfitted and don't see the real history floating 100 yards away. Given all the unrealistic and expensive ideas that have come and gone from Belfast council about how to go about creating a tourist attraction - and feck knows there's chuff all else to see in Belfast unless you're into murals or tattooed idiots rioting - with some luck they'll keep her right where she is (between the Titanic slip and the dry dock - ideal) refit her (estimated half the price of the pitiful Nomadic enterprise, which is dogged by conflicting interest groups) and hey presto - at last a genuine tourist attraction, something unique that anyone daft enough to come here for tourism purposes will want to see and not go away feeling short changed.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
<<<....Campaigners in Belfast are fighting to keep Caroline there once she is decommissioned in 2011.
But naval heritage officials are keen to bring the old C-class light cruiser to Portsmouth, the home of the Royal Navy. Talks are at an early stage between the National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) and Portsmouth City Council.....>>

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/portsmouth/First-World-War-ship-could.6586005.jp

Saved from the breakers yard, excellent news at least now the ship will be seen by millions of visitors every year. Staying in Belfast would have been a total nonsense. Not only would the half hearted City Council not been able to restore her cost wise, most of the Unionist councillors are only interested in Army history in Northern Ireland and have never given a fiddlers for RN history in the past.

Along with HMS Victory, an 18/19th century Battle of Trafalgar ship of line, HMS Warrior a later 19th century (steam/sail) battleship, HMS Caroline an early 20th century warship and Battle of Jutland cruiser will add to the already tremendous collection. I couldn't think of a better resting place for HMS Caroline to end up after she is decommissioned later this year.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
'A spokeswoman for the National Museum of the Royal Navy confirmed it had put in a bid to bring HMS Caroline to Portsmouth. She added: 'It is far too early for any decisions and all options still remain open.'
First World War ship could be our latest attraction - Portsmouth Today

Ex matlot friend of mine visited Pompey and Gosport recently. He was shocked to pay £35 to visit the naval Museums while he was there. Maybe this is the way the National Museum of the Royal Navy is collecting money to pay for HMS Caroline.

It is now january 2011 and no more news on the future of HMS Caroline.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
I'm sure the Caroline was a night club in the sixties, it was just down the road (at the end of the cul-de-sac) as you went past the Stella Maris club.
Anyone else do a tour there late 60's early 70's when you could still have a run ashore without getting shot. 8O

I was on HMS Caroline for a spell in the summer of 72/73, not sure which. Set up an armed security guard on the upper deck. There was another IRA threat. I have written a chapter in my memoirs dealing with this time, but it's rather long. Will it be of any interest do you think ?

v8diver

Badgeman
I was on HMS Caroline for a spell in the summer of 72/73, not sure which. Set up an armed security guard on the upper deck. There was another IRA threat. I have written a chapter in my memoirs dealing with this time, but it's rather long. Will it be of any interest do you think ?
was there late 70s many a young lady was given a private viewing of the golden rivit
you would have been surprised how many young ladys from west belfast would be there to get a little bit of ulster in them

trehorn

War Hero
I getting f*cking sick of this!

What the f*ck is wrong with this country!

A nation built on its proud maritime history can't put it's hand in it's pocket to save the ships that helped make it what it is today!

I'm not one for saving things for the sake of saving them but for heavens sake! This ship is the only surviving ship from Jutland. The surrender of South Georgia was signed on the Plymouth and we cant find a few hundred meters of real estate to put them in.

Portsmouth is f*cking empty. The only ships you see there these days are those waiting to be cut up and you're telling me that they don't have room in pompy for these two lasses.

Makes me wanna boo!

(edited because I just looked at the basin behind the Victory on Google earth and it may be a tight squeeze)

Last edited:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
The problem is that museum ships are expensive to run and rarely turn a profit. The history of museum ships worldwide is of limited success.

trehorn

War Hero
As I understand it the Plymouth was turning a profit.

Pinot has the space sat there doing nothing. They already have the infrastructure in place with all the other exhibits - to have both ships there would surely be the cheapest option.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
The problem is that its just too damn expensive to keep museum ships going. You have to take an object made and designed to be regularly maintained and drydocked and which is designed for work, and not tourists. Find a quayside with good access, publicise it, pay for all the shore support etc. Convert the ship into something that is accessible and which may if lucky get funding from the Lottery or something else. Add to this the requirements to keep it open, keep it compliant with H&S regulations and also keep it afloat. Very few museum ships succeed, not because people dont want to make it a success, but because its extremely expensive to run the vessels and the public interest simply isnt there to make it happen. The only ones that do work tend to be so heavily subsidised as not to be private museums. I'm sad if CAROLINE goes, but equally she's not really got any place in the national conciousness, and I dont think she'd get anywhere near as many visitors as some people imagine.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Perhaps the problem is the seeming desire to spread museum ships across the country? Britannia certainly has space next to it in Leith and doesn't take all day to go around. Perhaps the combination of a ship that does draw visitors with one that can't draw enough in and of itself but would persuade many to go round as well while they are already there could work.

Last edited:

brian23

Ambitious plan to make HMS Caroline another tourist must-see - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
As someone who is involved in the campaign to keep HMS Caroline in Belfast, an additional 1 million pounds has been secured from the NMRN to start the restoration of the ship. A lottery grant has been applied for which hopefully wwill cover the costs of bringing her up to the standard required to allow visitors onboard. It is planned to integrate Caroline into the Titanic project in Belfast. Around 64 million was spent on the Titanic project which is about a ship that sank. Caroline is 98 years old and the only survivor of the battle of Jutland, and is in remarkable condition given her age, and still afloat. She has started to deteriorate since being decommissioned in 2011. I was a serving member of the Ulster Division RNR for 25 years, and HMS Caroline was our base. Due to the troubles she was mostly hidden from the public for over 30 years, but considerable interest has been shown by the public, so hopefully she will be preserved for years to come. The NMRN initially wanted to tow her to Portsmouth, to be part of the historic dockyard, but we successfully managed to keep her in Belfast. The following youtube link shows what she was like prior to decommissioning

HMS Caroline.wmv - YouTube

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Firstsource Solutions unveil £1 million investment in Belfast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: D-Day 75: Légion d’Honneur presented to D-Day veterans on HMS Belfast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM speech in Belfast: 5 February 2019 MoD News 0
Ballistic HMS Belfast on Channel 5 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9
MoD_RSS News story: £93 million missile project secures over 100 Belfast jobs MoD News 1
soleil HMS Belfast Prepares For 80th Anniversary Of Launch History 4
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Belfast in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 2015 Christmas gift initiative for Armed Forces launches HMS Belfast MoD News 0
P Pussers rum cup HMS Belfast can anyone tell me anything about this? History 4
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Belfast - OTE £28,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
W Belfast Telegraph - promoting their lovelies Diamond Lil's 1
trelawney126 HMS Belfast at 75 years young History 4
soleil Belfast Telegraph: "Voyage Ends For Royal Navy's Longest Serving Woman" Bases / Shore Est 0
S Friends Of HMS Caroline, Belfast Social & Reunions 2
soleil Belfast Telegraph: Time To Give HMS Caroline A Lick Of Paint" History 2
soleil Sun: "Two Injured After HMS Belfast Gangway Collapses" Current Affairs 21
T London 2012 Olympic promoters ashamed of HMS Belfast Current Affairs 1
trelawney126 HMS Belfast Marks 40 yrs in London History 0
soleil Mail: "HMS Belfast 'Used By Triads To Ferry £10m Of Heroin On Her Final Voyage'" History 15
ex_wasp_L2 Oaddy in Belfast Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Belfast Land Ops 0
A Belfast... RMR 11
soleil Belfast T'graph: "HMS Monmouth In City For Maritime Event" The Fleet 0
fluffyspanners HMS Belfast History 22
Naval_Gazer Keeping HMS Belfast afloat History 1
soleil Belfast Newsletter: "Dissident fears halt RM band parade" The Corps 0
O Customer Requirements - £45k - Belfast The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
O Manager - £45k - Belfast The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T Bleedin' great ship next to HMS Belfast The Fleet 20
P Who is that alongside the Belfast? Current Affairs 7
Sapphire Belfast ships cat thrown overboard. The Gash Barge 45
21_Man H.M.S. Belfast Current Affairs 6
chrisjg84 belfast RMR 5
chrisjg84 Joining the Belfast Det RMR 0
chrisjg84 Joining The Belfast Detachment RMR 23
chrisjg84 Joining The Belfast Detachment RMR 3
golden_rivet celebrate St Patrick's Day on HMS Belfast Social & Reunions 1
A HMS Belfast fun days: Uckers & Collars... Current Affairs 0
E HMS Belfast 1950-1952 History 0
E HMS Belfast 1950-1952 Commission History 0
C Belfast Ship Visit? The Quarterdeck 19
E RMR coming to Belfast?? RMR 16
MoD_RSS Past COVID-19 infection provides some immunity but people may still carry and transmit virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety review of epilepsy medicines in pregnancy - women who may become pregnant urged to discuss treatment options with their doctor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May labour market statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May C report and safety flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK House Price Index for May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May 2020 Price Paid Data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May 2020 Transaction Data MoD News 0