Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belfast may lose First World War ship

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
Belfast is more interested in seeking funding to restore the SS Nomatic than they are for HMS Caroline.

Full steam ahead for Titanic’s ‘little sister’ Nomadic

By Linda Stewart
Thursday, 20 August 2009

Some 1,600 curious visitors have poured across the gangplank of Titanic’s ‘little sister’ since last week to see the vessel before wholesale restoration gets under way. Although plans for SS Nomadic’s restoration had been delayed due to uncertainty about funding, it’s now full steam ahead after the project won more than £2 million in EU funding, organisers have promised.

Read more:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...lsquolittle-sisterrsquo-nomadic-14461129.html

If it was left to UK.com we would have no historical items to view. No steam trains, No Vulcan it is thanks to all the volunteers in the land that there things to view!!!! Not to mention that beauty "CONCORDE" now a walk on walk off museum piece. Thankfully the French are changing there oils regular and it may take to the sky once more.

A bit nearer home and fresh in the memory box.

What happened to the Onyx and Plymouth at Birkenhead last I heard Toyota had put in a bid. Any updates.

joesoap

Midshipman
personally i think it would be a shame for Belfast to loose Caroline, just when the city is getting back on its feet, and having hosted the tall ships event so succesfuly. Another point raised was the devisive nature of the ship itself, how can it be so devisive if people dont even know where she is moored. Get the fingers out and 'give us the fcuking money' as someone once said

SoylentGreen

Badgeman
"Belfast councillor Lord Wallace Browne said Caroline is no longer suitable for the Royal Navy Reserves because of the amount of asbestos that would have to be removed at high cost."

Nonsense. Our budget was cut ages ago so we couldn't budget for the 10-odd-yearly dry dock and inspection - the Maritime agency waiver we were operating under has expired - this is why we have to move (plus the cost of maintenance and operation has been talked of for years). The asbestos areas (mainly the engine room and ancillaries) is out of bounds but was only made so 2 years ago.

Purple Twiglet said "We can't scrap her" as she's grade 1 listed - unfortunately not, she's listed under the National Historic register's Core Collection of significant vessels but this affords little protection and scrapping may well be on the cards.

I would lay odds on her just rusting away in her present berth in Alexandra dock as due to both her age and narrow beam for her length towing and salvage companies refuse to tow her across the puddle - they will only quote for submersible barge transport a la Endurance - a massive expense.

Tomm90 says Belfast folk aren't interested in the Caroline, only the Nomadic. This is true but most Belfast citizens do not even know of the existence of the ship despite the fact it's been there 85 years. This is because Queen's island has been only made open to the general public for the past 5 or six years and even then it's obscured by several buildings from the road. Even people working in the buildings beside them know little of her due to the time honoured tradition of loose lips sink ships here.
Unfortunately Belfast can only just afford to refurbish the Nomadic, I shudder to think of the cost of restoring the Caroline to pre-1924 glory. Much of her teak decking needs replaced - her boiler spaces were replaced by purpose built compartments - the drill hall and Captain's cabin on the back would need removed - the vast majority of her gear was re-used in other Caroline class cruisers still in service at the time.

Now I've got to go help sew a paying-off pennant six miles long!

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Snr Rates last mess function on board this Saturday night 2000.
HOPE IT'S A GOOD ONE. :lol:

I'll let you know after it finishes............................probably on Sat morning :twisted:

Kittykat

Badgeman
I have looked through all sorts of Belfast websites, to see how I can gain admittance to Caroline, with no result. Totally agree with this article.Titanic/Nomadic its embarrassing.Tourists expecting some sort of "experience" and seeing nothing but decay. Meanwhile Caroline gets ignored.
I don't want her leaving Belfast, but to be honest if we got her to Portsmouth i would have more chance of seeing her.
My late partner had connections with Caroline. If anyone from the RNR knows how I could get our 5 year old daughter down to see her I would be grateful for any info.

Was a good night in the SR Mess last Saturday Sinbad (Who are you?).Clue for me is I'm English and left 15 years ago. Just the Decommissioning ceremony on the 1st December now.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
hissingsid said:
Was a good night in the SR Mess last Saturday Sinbad (Who are you?).Clue for me is I'm English and left 15 years ago. Just the Decommissioning ceremony on the 1st December now.

Can anyone give me any info on the decommission ceremony, I know two members from RNA Bangor would like to attend this ceremony.

Cheers
tomm90

Tomm90. It's from 1330 to approx 1630. Invite only as far as I know. Get the 2 people to have a word with Norman Leslie in RNA Bangor.He can probalby give you more help.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
hissingsid said:
Tomm90. It's from 1330 to approx 1630. Invite only as far as I know. Get the 2 people to have a word with Norman Leslie in RNA Bangor.He can probalby give you more help.

Thanks HS, thats a good time to have it. I wonder will they have a RM band come over for this historic event.

Its very sad that the City Council and the general (even East Belfast public) are not prepared to try and campaign to save this WW1 Cruiser as a part of Belfast's historic connection to the Royal Navy. I hear the Royal Ulster Rifles museum is being shifted to Cultra from Waring St Belfast. Another sop to Sinn Fein and a move towards the greening of Northern Ireland's major City towards republicanism.

Has anyone ever suggested to the N Down District Council to take her. This old ship could really set off Bangor's harbour as a tourist attraction if Belfast does not want her anymore?

Kittykat

Badgeman
I am also trying to get to this and have had help from this forum,unfortunately do not know exactly who to contact by e mail or phone.
i have discovered by talking about this in work that very few (including those from East Belfast know it is happening)

Kittykat

Badgeman
Hi
Don't know what the problem is, but have not received this, come to think of it, have not received any PMs recently (or maybe no one wants to talk to me)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Firstsource Solutions unveil £1 million investment in Belfast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: D-Day 75: Légion d’Honneur presented to D-Day veterans on HMS Belfast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM speech in Belfast: 5 February 2019 MoD News 0
Ballistic HMS Belfast on Channel 5 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9
MoD_RSS News story: £93 million missile project secures over 100 Belfast jobs MoD News 1
soleil HMS Belfast Prepares For 80th Anniversary Of Launch History 4
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Belfast in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 2015 Christmas gift initiative for Armed Forces launches HMS Belfast MoD News 0
P Pussers rum cup HMS Belfast can anyone tell me anything about this? History 4
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Belfast - OTE £28,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
W Belfast Telegraph - promoting their lovelies Diamond Lil's 1
trelawney126 HMS Belfast at 75 years young History 4
soleil Belfast Telegraph: "Voyage Ends For Royal Navy's Longest Serving Woman" Bases / Shore Est 0
S Friends Of HMS Caroline, Belfast Social & Reunions 2
soleil Belfast Telegraph: Time To Give HMS Caroline A Lick Of Paint" History 2
soleil Sun: "Two Injured After HMS Belfast Gangway Collapses" Current Affairs 21
T London 2012 Olympic promoters ashamed of HMS Belfast Current Affairs 1
trelawney126 HMS Belfast Marks 40 yrs in London History 0
soleil Mail: "HMS Belfast 'Used By Triads To Ferry £10m Of Heroin On Her Final Voyage'" History 15
ex_wasp_L2 Oaddy in Belfast Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Belfast Land Ops 0
A Belfast... RMR 11
soleil Belfast T'graph: "HMS Monmouth In City For Maritime Event" The Fleet 0
fluffyspanners HMS Belfast History 22
Naval_Gazer Keeping HMS Belfast afloat History 1
soleil Belfast Newsletter: "Dissident fears halt RM band parade" The Corps 0
O Customer Requirements - £45k - Belfast The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
O Manager - £45k - Belfast The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T Bleedin' great ship next to HMS Belfast The Fleet 20
P Who is that alongside the Belfast? Current Affairs 7
Sapphire Belfast ships cat thrown overboard. The Gash Barge 45
21_Man H.M.S. Belfast Current Affairs 6
chrisjg84 belfast RMR 5
chrisjg84 Joining the Belfast Det RMR 0
chrisjg84 Joining The Belfast Detachment RMR 23
chrisjg84 Joining The Belfast Detachment RMR 3
golden_rivet celebrate St Patrick's Day on HMS Belfast Social & Reunions 1
A HMS Belfast fun days: Uckers & Collars... Current Affairs 0
E HMS Belfast 1950-1952 History 0
E HMS Belfast 1950-1952 Commission History 0
C Belfast Ship Visit? The Quarterdeck 19
E RMR coming to Belfast?? RMR 16
MoD_RSS Past COVID-19 infection provides some immunity but people may still carry and transmit virus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety review of epilepsy medicines in pregnancy - women who may become pregnant urged to discuss treatment options with their doctor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May labour market statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May C report and safety flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK House Price Index for May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May 2020 Price Paid Data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May 2020 Transaction Data MoD News 0