Being Posted away

Professor_X

Badgeman
Hi can anyone settle an argument for me please.

If i go into the submarine service, how long will i be posted away? as this is causing huge arguments with the other half since at the careers office i have been told 4months, and the RN Submarines are based in scotland and on the other hand the missus has been told two years by someone who served in RN

cheers

dondon

MIA
Xav28 said:

If i go into the submarine service, how long will i be posted away? as this is causing huge arguments with the other half since at the careers office i have been told 4months, and the RN Submarines are based in scotland and on the other hand the missus has been told two years by someone who served in RN

cheers

Depends what you mean by posted away , if your drafted to a Faslane Submarine for 2 years & you dont take your wife up to Faslane with you then you could say thats 2 years away , but on the other hand you do take her to Faslane with you & you do a 4 month deployment then thats 4 month's away , sdhe could always enjoy the Scotish countryside , works exactly the same for Skimmers , It's up to you's both wether you accompany each other , you have to look at the pro's & con's , I've been outside 12 years nearly but I do know that there is not many Married Quarters left , General service or Submarine service you still have the same problem , where to live if we go accompanied , !!!!!!!!!! good luck :wink:

mikh

MIA
Xav, I cannot comment on the normal lenght of deployment of black pigs as I was never a sun doger and I have been out for 12 years, but I would like to point out that there is no gauntee that you will make it into submarines, you could end up in the surface fleet where deployments can (very very rarely) be in excess of 12 months. I served on 2 ships, and had 2 deployments the longest was for 7 months. A draft however is something entirely different and this is what your other half has probably been told about, this is where you join a ship (boat) or shore establishment and will generally be as long as the service requires.

G_Rivet

Badgeman
Xav28 said:

cheers
Have a butchers here Xav. http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/ might find what you need. Good luck.

babystew

Lantern Swinger
just looked at g rivets naval link, do the submariners of today really dress like that or was it for the video. most of our time at sea was spent in 1000 milers ( t shirt ) shorts and flip flops, cleanish 1000 milers for going ashore.

Professor_X

Badgeman
just another question and thanks to everyone's replies so far!

If the missus decides not to come to where i am based as her career is going pretty well in Wakefield; when not at sea i will be on base for four months, is it easy enough to travel to and from home on the weekends?or other free time and how is your holiday/ vacation time sorted out

not been able to get too many answers regarding Navy Life and it is the little things ie the logistics of moving around as bought a house together 6 months ago and in the process of fixing it up!!

thanks again

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Most of the time you can "weekend", depending on how your boss feels or what the boat is doing you can get away Friday lunch time, come back early Monday morning. If you're lucky you might get away earlier, come back later. Occasionally you'll have to stay and do a weekend duty (stay onboard, keep the place safe, respond to problems).

theoldti

Lantern Swinger
Commuting sucks after a while though. Your missus might be able to transfer up here. As for earlier comment about going to ships, if you have all your limbs and cn nearly spell submarine, your in.... we recruit direct to S/M now in most branches and the chance to return to skimmer world has been removed from the contract (not that you would take the pay drop to go and scrub out a grey funnelled jetty fender)
There are a few lads who have commuted all their careers cos the missus feels safe at home with a good job and family close, but it is up to you both to decide when you are in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Realities of being operationally posted? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 38
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y Being available during application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
A Is the number one uniform also being replaced? The Fleet 14
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16
P Images of T22C's being scrapped The Fleet 6
stan_the_man Just come off a month under pun for being a troll on RR The Gash Barge 22
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13