Being available during application

yodsak

Hello

I intend to apply to the Royal Navy, however, in 5 weeks time I will be abroad for a little under 2 months.

Would it be a good idea to wait until I return to begin my application or get it started ASAP?

Thank you.

Ballistic

War Hero
Hello

I intend to apply to the Royal Navy, however, in 5 weeks time I will be abroad for a little under 2 months.

Would it be a good idea to wait until I return to begin my application or get it started ASAP?

Thank you.
The people best placed to advise you would be your nearest AFCO. Give them a phone call, explain your circumstances and take it from there.
Don't worry, they won't bite ;) After all, they want you.

Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Going abroad for periods under six months is fine but be aware you need to at least be contactable through emails throughout to keep your application live.

Be aware that vising some countries can affect your security clearance and check the FCO website to ensure you aren't visiting areas advised against.

Generally European, Commonwealth countries and the US are not an issue, but countries that do not have strong diplomatic links and security protocols aligned with UK can significantly affect timelines for processing security clearance.

It all sounds very cloak and dagger but we have a history of attracting individuals who have attended terrorist training camps overseas, committed serious crimes overseas, fought as independent mercenaries and some who have worked for overseas government agencies.

Not so long ago we had a guy wanted for several counts of attempted murder overseas, another was caught smuggling in several thousand quid in counterfeit banknotes, so the security people can get a bit twitchy about that kind of stuff, for some reason.

fishhead

War Hero
Going abroad for periods under six months is fine but be aware you need to at least be contactable through emails throughout to keep your application live.

Be aware that vising some countries can affect your security clearance and check the FCO website to ensure you aren't visiting areas advised against.

Generally European, Commonwealth countries and the US are not an issue, but countries that do not have strong diplomatic links and security protocols aligned with UK can significantly affect timelines for processing security clearance.

It all sounds very cloak and dagger but we have a history of attracting individuals who have attended terrorist training camps overseas, committed serious crimes overseas, fought as independent mercenaries and some who have worked for overseas government agencies.

Not so long ago we had a guy wanted for several counts of attempted murder overseas, another was caught smuggling in several thousand quid in counterfeit banknotes, so the security people can get a bit twitchy about that kind of stuff, for some reason.
My,my, they are getting picky. You'll be saying a peg leg and a patch over one eye is a bar to enlisting next.;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
My,my, they are getting picky. You'll be saying a peg leg and a patch over one eye is a bar to enlisting next.;)
Yep, strange world in which we live.

For those who think it's only other people who are affected, it's probably worth noting the timeline between here (highlighted in red) and here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
A Is the number one uniform also being replaced? The Fleet 14
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16
P Images of T22C's being scrapped The Fleet 6
stan_the_man Just come off a month under pun for being a troll on RR The Gash Barge 22
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Ageing_Gracefully Do you fancy being a book reviewer? The Book Club 5
R failing AIB and being asked back in 12 months but age critical for my branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17