Being a reg and getting a degree

Hi I recently failed my pilot recruit test and now thinking of going aircrewman. I want to get a degree in the future in Contemporary military and international history. What's the possibilities of getting the degree while in, also what's the likelihood of being able to go officer after going in. Is it also advisable to finish my reserve phase 1 before I go full time.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi I recently failed my pilot recruit test and now thinking of going aircrewman. I want to get a degree in the future in Contemporary military and international history. What's the possibilities of getting the degree while in, also what's the likelihood of being able to go officer after going in. Is it also advisable to finish my reserve phase 1 before I go full time.
One door closes, another opens. Good effort.

Aircrew selection is quite rigorous - about 5% of applicants who pass the recruit test for aircrewman actually get as far as passing their flying aptitude tests and the initial aviation medical examination.

You can indeed study for a service-funded OU degree whilst serving, through the enhanced learning scheme: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com Bear in mind you undertake your studies in your free time.

As long as a person serving has 5 GCSEs (A*-C including maths & English) and they show the potential, it is possible to go for a Commission. The 'average' person doing this, has served upwards of four years.

The branch manager, granting approval to enter, will advise whether regular service Initial Naval Training is required of Reservists who have completed RNR training. My advice? Stay in the RNR until you have passed everything and been allocated a provisional entry date, then decide whether you want to defer entry until completing RNR training or whether you've already completed RNR training and can join straight into phase two aircrewman training.

A quick note - the RN will pay for a full first degree once you have left Service, if and only if, you don't have one already. So unless you really want a degree in Maritime Studies or whatever nosh they're palming off in your various courses, keep your gunpowder dry and wait until you become a civvy again.

slim

War Hero
A quick note - the RN will pay for a full first degree once you have left Service, if and only if, you don't have one already. So unless you really want a degree in Maritime Studies or whatever nosh they're palming off in your various courses, keep your gunpowder dry and wait until you become a civvy again.
I retired after 22 years in 1985
Am I eligible?:)

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
What the fudge?! Please don't tell me I've used up all of my ELCs doing an in Service OU degree when I could have had it totally funded once I leave?! Which scheme is this @alfred_the_great ?

Latest Threads