Being a reg and getting a degree

Lumberjack

Hi I recently failed my pilot recruit test and now thinking of going aircrewman. I want to get a degree in the future in Contemporary military and international history. What's the possibilities of getting the degree while in, also what's the likelihood of being able to go officer after going in. Is it also advisable to finish my reserve phase 1 before I go full time.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi I recently failed my pilot recruit test and now thinking of going aircrewman. I want to get a degree in the future in Contemporary military and international history. What's the possibilities of getting the degree while in, also what's the likelihood of being able to go officer after going in. Is it also advisable to finish my reserve phase 1 before I go full time.
One door closes, another opens. Good effort.

Aircrew selection is quite rigorous - about 5% of applicants who pass the recruit test for aircrewman actually get as far as passing their flying aptitude tests and the initial aviation medical examination.

You can indeed study for a service-funded OU degree whilst serving, through the enhanced learning scheme: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com Bear in mind you undertake your studies in your free time.

As long as a person serving has 5 GCSEs (A*-C including maths & English) and they show the potential, it is possible to go for a Commission. The 'average' person doing this, has served upwards of four years.

The branch manager, granting approval to enter, will advise whether regular service Initial Naval Training is required of Reservists who have completed RNR training. My advice? Stay in the RNR until you have passed everything and been allocated a provisional entry date, then decide whether you want to defer entry until completing RNR training or whether you've already completed RNR training and can join straight into phase two aircrewman training.

A quick note - the RN will pay for a full first degree once you have left Service, if and only if, you don't have one already. So unless you really want a degree in Maritime Studies or whatever nosh they're palming off in your various courses, keep your gunpowder dry and wait until you become a civvy again.

slim

War Hero
A quick note - the RN will pay for a full first degree once you have left Service, if and only if, you don't have one already. So unless you really want a degree in Maritime Studies or whatever nosh they're palming off in your various courses, keep your gunpowder dry and wait until you become a civvy again.
I retired after 22 years in 1985
Am I eligible?:)

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
What the fudge?! Please don't tell me I've used up all of my ELCs doing an in Service OU degree when I could have had it totally funded once I leave?! Which scheme is this @alfred_the_great ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y Being available during application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
A Is the number one uniform also being replaced? The Fleet 14
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16
P Images of T22C's being scrapped The Fleet 6
stan_the_man Just come off a month under pun for being a troll on RR The Gash Barge 22
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Ageing_Gracefully Do you fancy being a book reviewer? The Book Club 5
R failing AIB and being asked back in 12 months but age critical for my branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17