Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being A Naval Wife

hi im getting maried in feb 2013 and my oh is in the navy
and im just wondering what the benefits are being a naval wife
thanks for any help x

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Lol non I can think of.
Maybe the feeling that you have a new husband after every trip away on a grey ship.
Seriously. Very hard to be a Naval wife. Not many are successful. Good luck to you.

Guzzler

War Hero
thanks for any help x

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Group sex is one that springs to mind.

Thanks Angie and 'Scouse' '80/81', never to be forgotten by any of the four of us I'm sure. I still frequently 'use' the memory as it were.

No doubt your chaps had a good deployment as well.

Win/win.

If you're lucky you'll get to meet the Marines :)

Apart from that you'll get a nice married quarter, a network of naval wives for support, a choir to sing in and as the navy shrinks you'll also get your hubby at home more often.

pie.thatcher

Lantern Swinger
My wife refused to be known as a naval wife, she said she was a wife who's husband happened to be in the navy. When she came out to Hong Kong to join me on my married accompanied draft, our quarter was in an army camp. What joy, "wife of"! What this "wife of" sais she who must be obeyed. What is your husbands rank, sais the man. What has that got to do with anything sais her.
So went the next 2 1/2 years, at one stage the RSM who was a neighbour suggested I sort her out. You try and sort her out sais me. But eventually the system accepted her attitude, she even got a job, working in the camp for the army. She never became friends with the RSM or his wife, but liked the Colonel and had his ear. Made her even more unpopular with certain members of the brown brigade. But we enjoyed it.
But having your husband in any service (except the crabs) is the hardest job you will ever do. It takes an exceptional woman to survive it, statistics show not many do. We have been married 40 years in 6 months time, and it's been brilliant. The one thing you must have is a sence of humour, because pusser hasn't.

Waspie

War Hero
My wife refused to be known as a naval wife, she said she was a wife who's husband happened to be in the navy. When she came out to Hong Kong to join me on my married accompanied draft, our quarter was in an army camp. What joy, "wife of"! What this "wife of" sais she who must be obeyed. What is your husbands rank, sais the man. What has that got to do with anything sais her.

We have been married 40 years in 6 months time, and it's been brilliant. The one thing you must have is a sence of humour, because pusser hasn't.

My wife's most hated phrase of her existence with me was from other wives; "and what is your husband"? (meaning rank).

Still, like pie.thatcher, have been married 2 months short of 40 years and still going strong.

The OP needs to ask is she marrying the bloke or the service. The service is just a job that does mess lives around. Long term however, the benefits are worth the anguish of naval life. Like any relationship, you get out what you put in! Life ain't all roses!

Sumo

War Hero
thanks for any help x

Not as old as some we have clocked up 33yrs next week 18 in the mobile. When ask what I was in the navy her in doors would say he is a sailor, when asked what rank she would say no idea as she got a husband and father at home and the navy gets a sailor.
Not an easy job, the separation for the wife's can be very hard it takes a strong type to sort out all needs to be done and on their own on many occasions
Good look the horrible parting are made good by the home comings, well until you get passed of with a messy sailor in your house?

frogman007

War Hero
My wife's most hated phrase of her existence with me was from other wives; "and what is your husband"? (meaning rank).Still, like pie.thatcher, have been married 2 months short of 40 years and still going strong. The OP needs to ask is she marrying the bloke or the service. The service is just a job that does mess lives around. Long term however, the benefits are worth the anguish of naval life. Like any relationship, you get out what you put in! Life ain't all roses!
Yep, fully agree. The husband has the rate/ rank. Not you stupid (usually) fat whore. Stop clinging on to others achievements. After I registered as married, Mrs Froggers got a pack saying where all the coffee meetings were etc. Seriously, she has ******* doctorate, she is not retarded (actually...). She needs to know who to call int the event of deaths etc not where to get a friggin wet!

tommo

War Hero
You now get defence discount under the new government scheme as a spouse of a servicemen otherwise it's the married service person who get's benefits over the single person per say.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taloolah

Banned
thanks for any help x

Not meaning to be rude, but if you're getting married in a couple of weeks to someone in the navy and have no idea what this sort of life will mean what has your OH been doing, and what have you been doing to not find out before now ?

Talk to the girls on Rear Party, the other bit of RR......... they'll be a mine of information no doubt.

Cultivate a very independent streak, fast, it'll stop you defining yourself by hubbie's rank.Always be doing something for yourself, no matter where the navy plonks you- work, hobbies etc. And keep your own counsel, don't talk about private stuff with other wives, keep it private or for long-term trusted friends you may have outside the service.

Best of British.

Bisley

War Hero
Dont live on the married patch. Awful depressing back stabbing place

Get a nice place away from it all and have a set of friends not related too the mob and who aren't interested of your OH is a PO/CPO or orificer

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
I concur ref keeping private matters private.
But be mindful of backlash.
In our instance I remarried and ended up living in married quarters. 4 doors down was a good mate who had go through the same situation. We had known each other 15 years or so plus being both Tiffs we were both Chiefs.
Between us we 3 couples who.m x

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I concur ref keeping private matters private.
But be mindful of backlash.
In our instance I remarried and ended up living in married quarters. 4 doors down was a good mate who had go through the same situation. We had known each other 15 years or so plus being both Tiffs we were both Chiefs.
Between us we 3 couples who.m x

I'm intrigued now, do carry on old chap.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Sorry got cut off.
We moved in about a month apart. Everyone was very friendly but there was a definite 'undercurrent'
We were somewhat older than the locals. So did not participate in the 3am raves being hosted in the house next door. We mainly kept to ourselves. I served on the same ship as my mate. So we're often away on deployment together. After a few years things deteriorated and we were accused of being 'snooty' well **** me. All because we never 'mixed in' we tried to keep to ourselves. The locals were forever stabbing one another in the back. One bitch dragged another out of her house and beat the shit out of her because she screwed her husband whilst hers was away at sea.
Glad as **** to get out of there.
So. Married life is hard. Harder still living in married quarters.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
tommo List of Naval Ships being built around the world The Quarterdeck 6
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Judge-led review to provide greater certainty for troops being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
D Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y Being available during application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15