Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being a Moderator (its not that good you know)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deeps said:
I have never deleted a thread (the submariners forum is easy) but I may be forced to delete this one because you lot are so damn fecking boring .

It is pretty fcukin boring tonight isn't it, whats wrong with everyone?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
wet_blobby said:
Deeps said:
I have never deleted a thread (the submariners forum is easy) but I may be forced to delete this one because you lot are so damn fecking boring .

Agreed, but it's probably too late. Footy on TV tonight or everyone's in bed. I can't say I blame them; I'm going myself now - got lots of maritime crime to fight tomorrow!

Adios, amigos!

:grin:

sgtpepperband said:
wet_blobby said:
Deeps said:

Agreed, but it's probably too late. Footy on TV tonight or everyone's in bed. I can't say I blame them; I'm going myself now - got lots of maritime crime to fight tomorrow!

Adios, amigos!

:grin:

be nice to them, what ever they may have done it's a one off and they'll never do it again.....unless there tea leafs then break there friggin fingers and say they slipped, who they gonna believe you or the scrote you've done..? :evil:

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Ferkinhell the fur has been flying in here. Deeps we love you really and a big boy made me post mine and then ran away.Will some one please PM me when its safe to come out from under the stairs :cry: .

Mod or not, deeps the top gun wannabe managed to get the thread on the coroner closed by starting a ruck just so he could get a dit in about being a plane spotter or something and insinuating that he knows all about combat air ops and no one else on this forum has any combat experience.
Wakey wakey walter.
Mods should really limit themselves to regulating security issues on site and not deleting posts and locking threads on a whim. But this has come up before and they still do it so if it keeps em happy let them play.
Power is a wonderful aphrodisiac eh?

Seadog

War Hero
I find Seadog overbearing in his manner and believe that he acts to quickly in closing and deleting threads/posts, my impression is that he believes that as a Mod he has the right to delete posts that he doesn't believe in.

Current Affairs is the Serious Bit of RR. I'll delete for bone / irrelevant / contentious (in accordance with moderation policy)/potentially libellous, excessive profanity etc. etc. etc. Posts are never deleted merely because I disagree with the opinion expresed therein. Some posters (about three) still don't get it. Few people want the threads cluttered with posters harping on about moderation policy or actions. If you think I'm ruthless, you should see PTP or the COs in action.

Lingyai wrote
deeps the top gun wannabe managed to get the thread on the coroner closed

How would you know? I locked it because Andym reposted a deleted post making snide references to moderation policy. I could see that getting out of hand. It'll be opened again with a few deletions.

Site issues, PM the mod you take issue with or email the COs if you don't like it.

sgtpepperband said:
Anyway, back to the thread - a lot has been said tonight about some of the bad things about being a Moderator, but would anyone care to eleborate on the benefits of being one? A

nd seeing as we like to promote and defend a democracy, how about a poll to see which RRs would make the best Mods? [Count me out - conflict of interest with my job; I'd like to remain impartial]

:wink:

SPB

We did that and AAC, with his seat in the Mother of Parliaments, his access to all current and future legalization, press reports and most other research material. Together with his generally liberal view f the world was voted for by a COUNTRY MILE to replace S-D as MOD on the current affairs thread.

Totally ignored by th management.

Nutty :twisted:

janner said:
I have no problems with your style of moderating Deeps, if you do something you say why.

I find Seadog overbearing in his manner and believe that he acts to quickly in closing and deleting threads/posts, my impression is that he believes that as a Mod he has the right to delete posts that he doesn't believe in. Most complaints seem to be about him so its maybe not just my view.

I agree with andym that generally PM's are not the way to go, if theres a problem it should be aired publically on the thread so that everyone knows whats going on.

I would also like to see, where a post is deleted, for the text to be deleted leaving the heading and author in, but in place of the deleted text some sort of explanation for example "Post deleted by (Mods name) because it breached persec (or whatever)

I agree very much. If moderation is going to work and be effective, and by that I mean actually encourage members to behave sensibly rather than try to continually push the boundaries then it must be clear and open.

Posts should not be edited, deleted or otherwise mucked about with without a clear announcement of why, if for no other reason so that others can learn what the boundaries are.

We need moderators because there are considerations on a site like this which do not apply to usenet forums, but equally we need members and contributors because they are who provides the justification for the advertisers which make the main contributuion as I understand it to the costs of the service. Both members and moderators should at all time remember this.

As well as being open moderation should be light, conversations in real life drift in and out, if your pub chat starts of as about football and then drifts for a time into politics normally you don't have to shange pubs. Equally though merging multiple threads on the same subject can make sense.

There are some who push the boundaries from both sides of the argument and I am sure they know who they are.

mikh

MIA
I'll start off by stating I have no beef with any moderator, but sometime I am a little confused, I have had 2 post moved from the forum I place them in without explanation.

This one was moved to the gash barge, althoug I though it was a relevent question for those of us who have been out for a while:
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3393.html

And this one which I though was just an irrelevant piece was moved out of the gash barg:
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3554.html

If threads are going to be deleted or moved, surley an explanation at the time the action is taken is not too much to ask!

Seadog said:
I locked it because Andym reposted a deleted post making snide references to moderation policy. I could see that getting out of hand. It'll be opened again with a few deletions.
Noted
Seadog said:
Site issues, PM the mod you take issue with or email the COs if you don't like it.
PM's don't keep the masses informed, waste of time, if it can't be debated on open forum, don't bother. As for emailing CO's? Behave, it's not parliament, just a web forum and the banter is more than half the fun. Lighten up FFS.

Ghost_Rider

Lantern Swinger
Seadog said:
I find Seadog overbearing in his manner and believe that he acts to quickly in closing and deleting threads/posts, my impression is that he believes that as a Mod he has the right to delete posts that he doesn't believe in.

Current Affairs is the Serious Bit of RR. I'll delete for bone / irrelevant / contentious (in accordance with moderation policy)/potentially libellous, excessive profanity etc. etc. etc. Posts are never deleted merely because I disagree with the opinion expresed therein. Some posters (about three) still don't get it. Few people want the threads cluttered with posters harping on about moderation policy or actions. If you think I'm ruthless, you should see PTP or the COs in action.

Summary: Think before posting in the Serious bit... is this seriously contributing to the debate? If not, you're probably posting in the wrong forum

Lingyai wrote
deeps the top gun wannabe managed to get the thread on the coroner closed

How would you know? I locked it because Andym reposted a deleted post making snide references to moderation policy. I could see that getting out of hand. It'll be opened again with a few deletions.

Please do NOT simply start a new topic with the same (deleted) content then winge that the first one was deleted. Refer to my point above if unsure!! Almost certainly, wingeing about the moderation policy does not belong in the Serious bit!

If anyone has a problem with the moderation of a specific topic or post, and doesn't want to take it up with that moderator, please feel free to raise it with me.

Ghostie

andym

War Hero
Seadog said:
How would you know? I locked it because Andym reposted a deleted post making snide references to moderation policy. .

Get it right,please!I made NO snide remarks about moderation policy WHATSOEVER and you bloody well know it!If you dont have the bollocks to ACTUALLY say what i said then DONT say things that were patently untrue!There was NO references to moderation policy AT ALL!

I am still waiting for a bona fide reason why you deleted my posts,but then as you say you cant be bothered! :evil:

Ghost_Rider

Lantern Swinger
andym said:
Seadog said:
How would you know? I locked it because Andym reposted a deleted post making snide references to moderation policy. .

Get it right,please!I made NO snide remarks about moderation policy WHATSOEVER and you bloody well know it!If you dont have the bollocks to ACTUALLY say what i said then DONT say things that were patently untrue!There was NO references to moderation policy AT ALL!

I am still waiting for a bona fide reason why you deleted my posts,but then as you say you cant be bothered! :evil:

Without getting into the "who did what" bit, and irrespective of any actions carried out previously, if you re-post the same content that was deleted previously, then I have to say in all honesty that it will almost certainly be deleted - the reason for deleting the original post is the discussion you want to have, I believe, and that is fair (to a certain extent).

By re-posting the same content, without having clarified the reasons behind the original deletion, you simply give further ammunition to the delete button.

I stress I am not defending anyone's actions here, nor am I going to comment on the actual content of whatever was or was not posted - rather I wish to point out the futility in re-posting the same content without revising the reasons. Please feel free to comment if you disagree with this point of view.

Ghostie

Alternatively, you could always post the same thing you just did so I can delete it!!! :twisted: :twisted:

andym

War Hero
How was i to know it had been deleted???It dissapeared in seconds!I thought it hadnt been recognised by the system so reposted it.HAD seadog the good manners and gumption to have put a reason for deletion on there then i wouldnt have had to repost it.And then he goes on to fictionalise just what i posted !!!!Blatant lying!No more ,No less!

Ghost_Rider

Lantern Swinger
andym said:
How was i to know it had been deleted???It dissapeared in seconds!I thought it hadnt been recognised by the system so reposted it.HAD seadog the good manners and gumption to have put a reason for deletion on there then i wouldnt have had to repost it.And then he goes on to fictionalise just what i posted !!!!Blatant lying!No more ,No less!

Ok, as I said - I'm not defending anyone, nor can I comment on the actual event. However, to make clear to the wider audience, re-posting the same information which was previously deleted will almost always end up in the same place.

In this particular circumstance, I would ask simply that you either (a) attempt to resolve the issue with the appropriate mod or (b) send me a pm with the relevant details and leave it with me. Either way, I don't think continuing in this thread is going to achieve any more.

I understand your frustration when you do not get an answer to your questions. I further understand your strong points about misrepresentation of your points. I always endeavour to inform people why I have moved/edited/deleted one of their posts. However, occasionally I do not have the time to respond to everyone. I do, however, answer all pm on the matter (eventually :oops: ) and would expect others to have the same courtesy.

If you wish to discuss off-line, please send me a pm. Happy to take your points for consideration.

Regards,

Ghostie

andym

War Hero
I have repeatedly asked him to do so,so far he has refused.I have no beef about moderation.Just that a valid bona fide reason for delition to be given.

Bad CO

Admin
Nutty said:
SPB

We did that and AAC, with his seat in the Mother of Parliaments, his access to all current and future legalization, press reports and most other research material. Together with his generally liberal view f the world was voted for by a COUNTRY MILE to replace S-D as MOD on the current affairs thread.

Totally ignored by th management.

Nutty :twisted:

I must have missed this - can you please point me at the thread where this happened?

Ghost_Rider

Lantern Swinger
Bad CO

I think this thread is the one they are on about. There is a fair degree of support for Always A Civvy, not only in this thread but in others within topics discussing the moderation. I appear to have missed this one in passing too! My bad - I'll take 5 :roll:

Ghostie

UncleAlbert

War Hero
Forget it Andy ….. you can`t win, the mods will ALWAYS stick together.

I don`t think your protests will stop the deletions but it might just slow `erm down a bit.

As for Steve being the mod for Current Affairs…… as a (I believe) librarian in the reference library at Westminster he has got to be the most qualified around to mediate on Current affairs and I`m sure if he consented to do it he would be an asset to this forum.

He is also incredibly thick skinned and can recognise a walt at 50 paces (it takes one to know one) I also believe he is gay….yet he commands total respect in his postings, which can be informative funny thought provoking or just downright drivel, yet for all his moods he never offends anyone.

So I say out with Mr Podsnap and in with Steve.

………

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Judge-led review to provide greater certainty for troops being investigated MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Listeria cases being investigated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Statement on positive steps being taken in Brunei MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER WAFUs being naughty. Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid helps stop 750 pieces of illegal ivory being smuggled from South Sudan into Uganda MoD News 0
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS Press release: Pupils find out there’s more to being an engineer than first thought MoD News 0
U Being fired in a previous job Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Finger Tattoo's. Currently being removed. Will i get turned down? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y Being available during application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
FunkyJunky Mental Health and being in the RN Health & Fitness 1
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
R being apart.... Nearest & Dearest 2
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
L Information on being a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
esunnyside31 Dear Deirdre - "Not sure if I'm being played" Nearest & Dearest 28
Hooly I am over the moon being one of the first 3 to pass the AIB Direct Entrant Petty Officer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
A Is the number one uniform also being replaced? The Fleet 14
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16