Being a Chef.

Skylarker

Midshipman
Good evening all, I have just put my application in to join as a chef, I'm almost 30 and have been a civvy chef for around 6 years working in hotels and restaurants so figured this was a good trade right now, especially with the Navy desperate for chefs.

One thing that's causing me to question my choice is the repeated comments about "passing the course" and that the chefs are very few and far between?

Does this mean that's the chefs are understaffed aboard?

Also I'm a complete novice when it comes to the Navy so my apologies here, in the army I was aware that when ops happened different units got picked a lot more often than others for ops, certain trades etc. With this being said, how does it work with chefs, are you assigned a ship and that's it for your career or are you likely to be ship hopping or land base hopping?

Again, apologies on my behalf I'm not very clued up on how navy life happens, I just realised recently that this is my chance to do what I've wanted to do for a long time.

Anyway cheers for any info :)

Sky

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
One thing that's causing me to question my choice is the repeated comments about "passing the course" and that the chefs are very few and far between?
Dont. They're just taking the piss. It's supposed to be funny.

Does this mean that's the chefs are understaffed aboard?
Not necessarily

how does it work with chefs, are you assigned a ship?
You'll change ships (drafts) the same as any other branch in the navy. A question for your recruiter really. When I left, you did 5 years on a ship and then 18 months on a shore establishment. The needs of the service means you'll go where you're needed, when you're needed.

Skylarker

Midshipman
Cheers dapperdunn, also if I may ask, do you know anywhere I can find a pretty accurate account of the day to day life of a chef on board? I mean, I know that would always depend on ship, tour, watch set up etc but on a regular deployment, what is the average day of a chef?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Cheers dapperdunn, also if I may ask, do you know anywhere I can find a pretty accurate account of the day to day life of a chef on board? I mean, I know that would always depend on ship, tour, watch set up etc but on a regular deployment, what is the average day of a chef?
I'll pm you later. Although my experience is only T23s.