Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Beer

Did one RAS where the canman over-ordered on beer, so it was stowed in one of our storerooms.

Then the canman forgot and raised merry hell with the jossman about duplicated keys and stuff being stolen from his store, so abig scene then......... you guessed it.

Red face - yep!, thankful to the dusties - nope !!

Just noticed in an on-line newspaper that the British Madical Journal carried out a survey and found that alcohol is good for men - I wonder if they polled matelots for this ? :wink:

Tingara said:
Whats wrong with VB ?(victorian bitter to pommies)
last week I sampled a Southwark old stout -7.4
Blew the brains out!

:D As you asked Tingara the PROBLEM with VB, Swan, in fact all Oz, USA European largers is, they get you pissed but taste of shit. To avoid tasting the said drinks, and we have many in Spain, you have to drink it ice cold so you can not taste anything. You may as well drink ice cold water with brandy/rum/whisky chasers more fun. :D

Nutty

Nutty said:
As you asked Tingara the PROBLEM with VB, Swan, in fact all Oz, USA European largers is, they get you pissed but taste of shit. To avoid tasting the said drinks, and we have many in Spain, you have to drink it ice cold so you can not taste anything.
Nutty

Cruz Campo... An acquired taste.. had to re-acquire the taste every day.. now owned by Guinnes.. drank many gallons of Cruz Campo.. back in the ancient daze..

I seem to remember a table in the Haslar club stacked 3 high with tinnies of a brew called "Breaker",most refreshing brew(well it was after the first half dozen!)

Would be a sad day when there was no more BBB or HSB (I hope people don't start confusing this with Fullers ESB!) and we must trust Fullers will be sensible. It doesn't secure the future of Gale's Ales, though. Fullers is a family Firm which works OK until one of the members wants to cash in. It nearly happened a few years ago with Bateman's Brewery in Wainfleet.

Anyway, Cheers!

The best beer in the world is..........

The one thats in your hand that was bought for you by an oppo.

No such thing as a gash run - just gash runners

xxspikexx said:
i cannot believe all these dits and no mention of good old marsavin in malta . wtf was that stuff , pint of water next morning as pissed as the night before , good gear . i think ! :roll: :oops:

I went on a tour of the marsovin winery.
They made it in big concrete vats. These were lined with plastic and to get the wood taste of casks they threw sawdust/woodchips into the mix. The wine used to eat away the plastic lining and had to be replaced every 2-3 brews.
No wonder the damned stuff tasted like a bucket of water with brickdust and sawdust thrown into it. The only wine that you drink mixed with coke.

Ankor beer from Cambodia is a nice smooth one. Laos beer from Laos is not bad either. Chang from Thailand is loopy juice (Chang means elephant) It's marketed over here as a premium beer but in Thailand it's a cheap get sgitfaced beer, 3 large bottles for 100Baht (£1.25) in the supermarkets. It's made in the Carlsberg brewery in Bangkok

xxspikexx said:
i cannot believe all these dits and no mention of good old marsavin in malta . wtf was that stuff , pint of water next morning as pissed as the night before , good gear . i think ! :roll: :oops:

I remember the next mornings ever so well , would not like to go through them again at my age , just stick to the pints of worthies now ,

Nutty said:
exile1 said:
Just seen that Gales Brewery in Hordean has been bought out by Fullers of London and production will move to the 'Smoke'. Some beers will apparently be chopped. I didn't mind when Brickwoods fell many years ago as imho it was crap but this lastest closure is a sad day for decent ale drinkers. Drinking Beer is a subject close to Jack's heart and thought it ought to be a subject worthy of it's own thread. Personally I can't stand 'chemical' rubbish lager so who brews the best?

NO CHEMICAL BEERS IN CHISWICK
Fullers are one of the two largest producers of living Real Ale in London together with Youngs of Wandsworth. Both also extensivley use dray horses for local delivery.

The best of Gales Ales will be kept by reducing the local water back to zero salts etc. them adding a mix to bring it to the standard used in Horndean.

Many real ales would have been lost with out this method such as "Old Speckle Hen" now brewed in Suffolk etc.

Nutty

I live in Horndean and was a big fan of Gales HSB, we still have some of the old stuff that was brewed before the brewery closed in Horndean - the new stuff brewed in Chiswick has a completely different taste, doesn't look as if the treatment to the local water is working. GB was discontinued apparently because Fullers customers preferred London Pride - would love to know what muppet in marketing decided that!!
I wonder if they will still do the Winter Brew?

Anyone who has visited Subic Bay will remember the local drop, San Miguel. Rumour has it that formaldehyde is used as a preservative in this brew, therefore generations of sailors have done a good job of self embalming. 8O

Just today, while perusing my local bottle shop, I happened across Boags Honey Porter, made in Tasmaina. I havent seen this drop for years and it has been re-released as a limited run. I had to sell the children, pawn the dog and buy a case. All worth it as this stuff is nectar of the Gods.

Welshbird said:
Nutty said:
exile1 said:
Just seen that Gales Brewery in Hordean has been bought out by Fullers of London and production will move to the 'Smoke'. Some beers will apparently be chopped. I didn't mind when Brickwoods fell many years ago as imho it was crap but this lastest closure is a sad day for decent ale drinkers. Drinking Beer is a subject close to Jack's heart and thought it ought to be a subject worthy of it's own thread. Personally I can't stand 'chemical' rubbish lager so who brews the best?

NO CHEMICAL BEERS IN CHISWICK
Fullers are one of the two largest producers of living Real Ale in London together with Youngs of Wandsworth. Both also extensivley use dray horses for local delivery.

The best of Gales Ales will be kept by reducing the local water back to zero salts etc. them adding a mix to bring it to the standard used in Horndean.

Many real ales would have been lost with out this method such as "Old Speckle Hen" now brewed in Suffolk etc.

Nutty

I live in Horndean and was a big fan of Gales HSB, we still have some of the old stuff that was brewed before the brewery closed in Horndean - the new stuff brewed in Chiswick has a completely different taste, doesn't look as if the treatment to the local water is working. GB was discontinued apparently because Fullers customers preferred London Pride - would love to know what muppet in marketing decided that!!
I wonder if they will still do the Winter Brew?

About water treatment. Folkks, I'm responsible for the treatment of the water coming out of our boreholes in Reading from which we brew, amongst others, Fosters lager. The brewing of beer is more than just replicating the water though. We regularly import genuine Fosters yeast from Aussie too in order to ensure the quality of the lager we brew.

Are Fullers doing the same ? Drive past their place every day by the way and can confirm the use of dray horses as I frequently get stuck behind one !

Latest Threads