Been Accepted For SE officer

EightSixteen

Lantern Swinger
Will do bud. During the interview I just got told Marchish, nothing to suggest whether it was BRNC or Sultan. Just hearing the BRNC might still have an intake this year has made my night.

PW91

I have a quick question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I want to join the RFA as a systems engineering officer but I'm not sure if I can apply directly for that or if I will need to go via the cadetship route. I have a degree in physics (4 year course) which incorporated the study of electrical circuits and systems. Will this count for anything?

EightSixteen

Lantern Swinger
I have a quick question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I want to join the RFA as a systems engineering officer but I'm not sure if I can apply directly for that or if I will need to go via the cadetship route. I have a degree in physics (4 year course) which incorporated the study of electrical circuits and systems. Will this count for anything?

I reckon they would ask you to go down the cadetship route tbh mate. The reason I say that is purely as they specify an engineering HND as a requirement, in either Electrical & Electronic or Electronic & Comms.

Granted, they have been taking on HNC level candidates but from what I've seen these have all been engineering qualifications.

Maybe worth making a call to check with the recruitment team?

Last edited:

Jay92

Midshipman
I would be surprised if they disregarded a physics degree, it would seem daft you must have covered way more maths than a HNC/D would. But your best bet is to ring and ask.

PW91

Thanks for the responses. I have tried to call but I was given another number, which led to yet another number. No one picks up so it is possible they are on holiday. I will keep trying for now.

My mathematical skill should be more than sufficient. I actually study electrical engineering for about 10 or so hours per week in my free time, following online lectures set at university level 2. Of course that won't mean anything to them but if I were at least able to get an interview I would be able to demonstrate my electrical engineering knowledge. I won't have the same breadth of knowledge as someone who has done an HND but my capacity for understanding is certainly there. I will be lacking on the practical side of things, however, but my degree did involve 10 hours per week in labs, so there should be some level of transferable skill there that will help me pick things up quickly. My Dad used to be an electrical engineer. He's retired from his career but still works as self-employed fixing T.V.s and computers as well as finds T.V. signals. I shadow him from time to time. It's very simple stuff but the point I'm trying to get across is that I won't be going into this career completely clueless.

If I had to do the cadetship I think I still would, but my only concern is that academically the level will be below what I am capable of.

Jay92

Midshipman
If you manage to get an interview you will certainly be able to demonstrate your knowledge, as its structured 50/50 RFA knowledge/subject matter. My HNC hardly covered any practical, that's what HMS sultan is for! Good luck anyways!

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
PW91,

Don't go into an interview with that attitude! You may well have a degree in physics but that doesn't make you an electrical engineer, it means you simply have a degree in physics. Entry requirements are there for a reason.

If your only concern about doing a cadetship is that it's academically below you, then I feel you may be missing the point. You will find that several cadets have degrees, some masters and some will have their doctorates. A cadetship brings its own challenges, regardless of your level of previous study.

That being said, you need to speak to RFA recruiting direct - if you need a number, feel free to DM me and good luck.

PW91

Jay92, thank-you for your supportive comments.

Bluebird79, thank-you for your input- I will take into consideration your statements.