Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by TheLastStoker, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondering if some one could answer this, rather bizzare question!

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but i always thought, that as members of the Royal Navy we were never allowed to become Beefeaters. Due to the fact that we don't swear an allegiance to the Queen/King.

However watching a program yesterday the fellow on it said that the major qualification that you need is to have served 22 years in the armed forces. Just wondering if he missed out the whole RN not being allowed thing or if its changed. Or (more likely) I had it wrong in the first place.

2. We don't swear allegiance or accept the shilling because the RN
    was in history employed and formed by a Monarch . The Army was technically employed by Parliament although its members swear allegiance to the Monarch when they join.
    I have seen a ex-RN guy Beefeater ----he mustve been in the mob cos he had the RN general service medal [issued up till 1962]and the 1962 campaign medals up.
    Give it a try --they can only say no !!!

:nemo: :nemo:
  3. I seem to remember that there were ex RN guys as Beefeaters (or Yeoman Warders0) in the 1980s.

4. Good restaurants
  5. Probably a former bootneck - they get RN GSM.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The original reason why RN weren't allowed to be Beefeaters was because, historically, we were pressed men. They changed the rules in 99 I think and allowed ex RN in. During a tour of the tower that year having asked a yeoman warder to show me round he took great delight in ripping in to me for being a matelot and inspected my feet as the first matelot wrapped his hand in because his feet couldn't cope with the job!
  7. ive always found hungry horses are better for portion sizes
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

All above correct, but the applicant must also have received a Good Conduct discharge from the Service.
  10. Sorry,thought this topic was about stewards.

I'll get me coat.
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nah, they're Pork-eaters... 8O :wink: