Bedroom Snooping Census 2011

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Would like 'Dave' to make some of this detail optional but won't hold my breath.

2. The census has always required you to list eveyone spending the night at your house on census day be they family or otherwise.The part about being fined for not telling the truth on the form is a dog with no teeth so I suspect there will be a fair few porkies fed into the computors which will spew out statistics that have no basis in reality.

3. Seaweed

The problem nowadays is that no-one with half a brain believes for two seconds that personal data will be securely kept. Stand by (in 2011) for womeone finding a pile of census forms in a skip.

4. And an American Defence Company to do the data compilation! Aint going to be so secure is it!

5. Seaweed

American? Surely cheaper to ship the whole lot to India?

6. Well they won't find much activity going on in mine.

7. Or hire a team of 17 year old temps to do the data input - twice the cost and a complete inability to enter the county in the correct field on the database...

8. Or a whole load of ex-Posties who will be in need of some work when the Royal Mail'a post-strike re-structuring goes ahead.

Or maybe I'm an old cynic.

9. Somehow I think poeple may just lie, making the census inaccurate QED dont put questions in that you can't accurrate results for.

edit
    sorry pissed when wrote that. more pissed hope you know what I meant.

10. Nothing new here, i was involved in the last one,and even back in (1911 I think NI)they asked about overnight guests, although it was mainly servants.
    Nothing gets checked up on (e.g. checking electoral rolls).However it is a easy means of cash for anyone already working. a certain sum 4 each address visited/revisited/different languages/filling out forms and finding new properties. i recommend it (easy money,this was NI i don't no how it applies UK wide)

11. I didn't get invited to take part in the last one, possibly because I live on a narrowboat. Wonder what will happen next time.

12. Do pusser war canoe inmates have to complete the census?

How many bedrooms do you have? :lol:

13. They used to clobber you as you returned off weekend on the Monday morning. Pointless exercise really as most matelots didn't relish form filling. Most of the questions were about the job you did, so everyone answered all the questions with "Classified". Pointless exercise really.
    Come to that I have never known anyone to complete a census honestly. I think that despite all the money and advertising thrown at it, most treat it as a joke, though few would admit to it.

14. You mean I'm your VIRGIN honest Census filler-in? 8O :lol:

Well, I'm a virgin, full stop! :oops: :roll:

15. Probably the only one. Want better schools add a couple of kids, better roads, add a couple of cars, wish for another bedroom add a couple, pee in the sink? add another bathroom. Never had it so good. Pity its only on paper :wink:

16. The simple fact is though that the vast majority of people are honest when they fill the form in - not because they are scared of retribution or because they have a deep seated respect for the integrity of the Census data but because they are just intrinsically honest and it is as easy to write a truthful answer as it is to make up porkies.

Ipso facto - when allowing for statistical variance the Census will do what it is intended to do (as a snapshot of the nation) and help form policy for infrastructure development (schools, hospitals, road and rail networks etc) and will also give a new generation of sociologists and market researchers something to evaluate their research studies against for the next 10 years (with the data integrity declining year on year as you get further away from the last Census and nearer to the next one).

Those who are keen to "cock it up" - sorry, it would take a huge number of people hell bent on a bit of civil disobedience (which we just don't do in the UK) to make an even noticeable dent on the Census bus!

17. maybe you're counted as a floater ...?? :wink:

Sorry, I'll get my coat .. :oops: