Becoming an officer with a degree

Hello. I will become a British citizen in a few months and considering joining Royal Navy as an officer. I have got a honours 2.1 class degree BA Criminology. But I have got a secondary education outside the UK. So I don't have A-Levels and GCSEs.

As I know to become an officer in RAF if you have a degree you only need GCSE in Math and English at grade C.

My question is are there different requrements for uni graduates in Royal Navy? Or are they only accept GCSE and A-levels?

Thank You.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hello. I will become a British citizen in a few months and considering joining Royal Navy as an officer. I have got a honours 2.1 class degree BA Criminology. But I have got a secondary education outside the UK. So I don't have A-Levels and GCSEs.

As I know to become an officer in RAF if you have a degree you only need GCSE in Math and English at grade C.

My question is are there different requrements for uni graduates in Royal Navy? Or are they only accept GCSE and A-levels?

Thank You.
The best bet is to pop into your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office with all your educational certificates so that copies can be taken & forwarded to the Admiralty Interview Board who will check the validity of your international qualifications. Hopefully the qualifications will satisfy the Level 2 numeracy and literacy requirement and three other secondary qualifications.

As the degree does not count as a vocational degree for any Naval Officer role, the content would be looked at to see whether the academic content can be accepted in lieu of the Level 3 requirement for entry.

Depending on age and previous nationality, the RN Officer roles not requiring a degree are Warfare, Royal Marine or Logistics Officer.

Two things to bear in mind is that UK qualifications can be gained after joining as a Rating and only 5 GCSEs are usually required to apply for a Commission within the service. Beware thinking that a Degree=Officer - there's an increasing number of Ratings joining with a Degree. Educational attainment doesn't necessarily indicate management & leadership potential at the point of entry and very often these skills can be acquired and developed after joining in any case.

Bottom line is there's more than one way to skin a cat. Good luck.

Latest Threads