Beards at BRNC.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rey_Pompey, Oct 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question relating to beards at BRNC, apologies if it has been asked/answered elsewhere.

I'm due to join BRNC next month and have just received the joining instructions. The information pack states that Officer Cadets can arrive at BRNC with a full beard but in a later section states that beards aren't allowed during the militarisation phase of training.

Am i to take it that you can turn up at BRNC with a beard but would be required to immediately shave it off, or am i missing something?

Anyone with recent experience of BRNC who can clear it up? Seems like a bit of a pointless query to bother the AFCO with.

2. RFA Cadets can have beards for BRNC if anyone needs that question answered.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds like you have to shave-off until you complete the militarisation phase.

It's the same for Ratings at Raleigh.

4. Thanks for the clarification, i'd assume showing up with one on arrival and demonstrating the I can in fact grow a full set would improve my chances of being given permission to grow one when the the militarisation phase is complete?

5. I can't speak for BRNC as such but I have never heard of anyone being denied permission to grow a beard.

6. Ninja_Stoker

After initial training there isn't usually an issue unless you're skin. Like me. ;)

7. No to contradict you, N_S, but having just passed out of BRNC I'll pass on my experience (or at least that of my hairy-chinned oppos...) and follow up with:

If you turn up to the college with a full set you'll be allowed to keep it with the exception of having to shave it off for respirator fitting/testings. Generally though, even the folks who'd arrived with fuzzy faces had to request to re-grow after shaving them for the above.

That said, if you turn up and your beard is gash you'll be mocked and told to get rid.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Always happy to have up to date feedback. Raleigh don't allow beards, period, but it's accepted Officer training may differ slightly.

If the respirator checks take place during the militarisation phase of training then it pretty much aligns with the statement inasmuch as there is a point in which it needs to be removed. Granted, once respirator checks complete it may well be the case at BRNC that Mids are permitted to discontinue shaving. I'm guessing with the multi-national/integrated overseas recruit aspect of RN Officer training there may well be a slightly modified stance to accommodate all with regard the religious significance of beards in certain cultures.