Be afraid Matelot (WAFU) with a gun circa late 60's

Gotta be 847 out in Malaya!

Cabs look like they have a 'B' on the tail.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bulwark take the squadron out to Singa's in the 60's. I know for definate the Albion brought them back just after the withdrawl of the Far East in the early 70's. 847 merged with 848 at Sembawang then they returned to the UK, 22 Wessex and 1 Wasp!

Gotta be 847 out in Malaya!

Cabs look like they have a 'B' on the tail.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bulwark take the squadron out to Singa's in the 60's. I know for definate the Albion brought them back just after the withdrawl of the Far East in the early 70's. 847 merged with 848 at Sembawang then they returned to the UK, 22 Wessex and 1 Wasp!
It used to be possible to check chapter and verse about things like this on the Britain's Small Wars website but I've just noticed it is defunct. Does anyone know why?

Richie

Lantern Swinger
845 Sqdn, on exercise at Kuantan '69, the Squadron had recently come out of Borneo and had just had the 1st (April '69) of 3 change-overs of personnel.

The watch was a super dupa Seiko, purchased in "Change Alley", it subsequently it got liberated form the bathrooms in the Barracks where were staying near Fleet (Hampshire) - when we (the Sqdn) attended the Farnbourough Air Show the following year.

Does anyone remember when the Mk5 colour scheme changed from sand and olive green to just olive green? They were two tone when I joined 707 NAS in 1967 and plain olive green on 848 NAS in 1970. I seem to remember 846 NAS experimenting with different colours (dark red, brown etc.) in 1968/69.

Like Waspie, I was embarked on the Albion (March 1971 to July 1972).

Last edited:

Rigsby

Lantern Swinger
Right then, all you matelots are missing one salient point.

It is a rifle and not a gun

FN SLR 7,62mm weighing in at 9lbs and 9oz

ahmmmm, i'll get my coat.....................

Right then, all you matelots are missing one salient point.

It is a rifle and not a gun

FN SLR 7,62mm weighing in at 9lbs and 9oz

ahmmmm, i'll get my coat.....................
Well I remember that bit after a tour of Raleigh parade ground with SLR at the high port.

Rigsby

Lantern Swinger
Well I remember that bit after a tour of Raleigh parade ground with SLR at the high port.
for us old booties amoungst us this was THE weapon during training and beyond (ok NZB might have used a .303/musket in his day :laughing2:). The SLR was a proper elephant gun. No fully auto cabability but it could be done with a little know how. Remember the SUSAT sight (sight unit small arms trilux - god i should get out more)

all commando tests required a minimum 30lbs of fighting order/webbing, weapon (9lbs 9oz) and boots/denims plus a safey daysack for the 30 miler

Ah the good old days.................

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NotmeChief Current Affairs 30
NotmeChief Motoring 1
N Diamond Lil's 2