Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC2 - Thursday, Dec 5th 2013 - 21:00 - The Silent War: Know Your Enemy

soleil

War Hero
BBC2 - Thursday, Dec 5th and Dec 12th 2013 - 21:00 - The Silent War

b03lb1vc.jpg

"For decades, Britain and America's Cold War submarines waged a secret war of espionage against the Soviet navy. Deep in the ocean, crews were locked in a game of cat and mouse as each side battled to gain the tactical and technological advantage.

Shadowing submarines was dangerous. The film explores close encounters between western and Soviet forces that put the lives of submariners at risk. Candid interviews with British, American and Russian submariners reveal the pressures of lengthy underwater patrols that drove them to the edge of their physical and mental limits."

BBC Two - The Silent War, Know Your Enemy

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
We were once driven to the extremes of our limits on one patrol during the 70's..a Part 3 turned the lights on in the bunkspace because he couldn't find a valve. I ask you, lights on in a bunkspace!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
We were once driven to the extremes of our limits on one patrol during the 70's..a Part 3 turned the lights on in the bunkspace because he couldn't find a valve. I ask you, lights on in a bunkspace!!

We once had to resort to making our own 'orange and tea' wine in the Cab Space! *

Don't know why, 'cos the mess door was opposite the Cab Space door!

* It was gopping too!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think the only thing I gained from all the Cold War patrols was the ability to make Milack that actually looked like milk, didn't taste like it though.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'll be watching, I'll even dig out my old white (nearly) wooly pully, have the vacuum cleaner humming away in the corner and not change my nix and sox, just for the atmosphere :)

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'll be watching, I'll even dig out my old white (nearly) wooly pully, have the vacuum cleaner humming away in the corner and not change my nix and sox, just for the atmosphere :)

Normal night in chez Wrecks then.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

gnominge

Midshipman
I might even squeeze into a corner of the living room after scran....and get my other half to makes all the wets...as she's usually nearest the urn... plus she's a BSQ...I know, I know, she shouldn't be in the living room til she's qualified but what the hell!...it's nearly christmas.

Flagdeck

War Hero

If you like, I'll 'drop one' in your bunkspace.....just to make the aroma more authentic ! :fart:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've told SWMBO what I fancy for scran tonight, but also told her to do something completely different and to make it look and taste disgusting! (Shouldn't really be a problem fo her!) Also to make sure there is not enough for both of us.

For my part, as I have no hydraulic oil handy, I'll periodically spray a can of penetrating oil in the air. As it is now dark we already have the red lighting on..........

Oi - who put the blue emoticon thing in there? Not bleedin me!

Herrings in for tea, mouldy bread for 4 o'clocks, penguins for duff. Rise and Scream for goffers.
Interesting program but it seems DB's stopped doing patrols when the nukes came along.
Nice to see Black Mac after 40 years still going strong.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Cheated a bit as some of the Swiftsure scenes were filmed on a T boat but I liked it.

gnominge

Midshipman
Always thought you Cold War submariners deserved a dedicated bar to the GSM.

Regards,
MM

A dedicated bar?...that would have been nice...instead the only bars available were full of 4 knot fudge packers. Nothing changes...apart from the speed i suppose.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Always thought you Cold War submariners deserved a dedicated bar to the GSM.

Regards,
MM

What GSM would that be? I went (possibly) to places where gongs were being dished out right left and Chelsea, but the policy is/was that it was never acknowledged where a boat had been, In fact we never even got Blue Nose certificates - who knows, maybe we never went that far north. Maybe the MIZ was dragged south.

Marginal Ice Zone, thankyou for asking!

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
A generic 'Submarine Operations 19xx-1989' (assuming it would fit on the bar!) awarded after a suitable period would imho have been just reward for the nature of the ops without compromising where they took place.

It's just always struck me as unjust that many of you chaps gained little if any acknowledgement beyond an OBE awarded to a boat's captain for particularly dodgy activity.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Let us not forget the "silent service" festoon themselves with kissing-kipper brooches and even a 1:32 scale model of a submarine, in some cases, on their port breast. There isn't any room for medals too. ^^

fishhead

War Hero
An interesting programme but I thought they had the chronological order of the SSBNs and SSNs a little confused. I'm not exactly certain as to when the first Yank SSNs were launched but I'm reasonably sure that they predated the SSBNs and not as the programme had it the other way about.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC2: PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster - Thursday, January 2nd 2014 - 21:00 History 42
soleil BBC2 - Britain's Biggest Warship - Sunday, April 15th 2018 - 8 pm The Fleet 102
soleil BBC2 - Friday, November 8th 2013 - "Cold War, Hot Jets" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil "Thatcher: The Downing Street Years" - BBC2 - Saturday, August 24th 2013 - 20:10 History 3
scouse BBC2 - Thurs Feb 28th 2013 - "The Sea King - Britain's Flying Past" The Fleet Air Arm 39
soleil BBC2 - The Falklands Legacy With Max Hastings - Sunday, April 2nd 2012 - 21:00 History 9
sgtpepperband Programme of Interest: "Castle Commando" (BBC2 (Scotland) - Tues @ 2100) The Corps 1
trehorn BBC2 - Frontline Medicine - Sunday November 20th 2011 - 2100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil BBC2 - Frontline Medicine - Sunday November 20th 2011 - 2100 Current Affairs 8
soleil BBC2: The Most Courageous Raid of WWII - 01 November 2011 - 2100 The Corps 10
Naval_Gazer BBC2 - 'Britain's Secret Seas' showing RN divers in action Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
Nick_Rueth BBC2 9pm tonight Submariners 2
soleil Possibly interesting programme on Bin Laden on BBC2 tonight The Quarterdeck 3
soleil BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern World" Current Affairs 80
soleil BBC2-1830-today-Great British Menu-visits HMS Gloucester The Fleet 5
soleil BBC2 - Great British Menu - HMS Trafalgar Submariners 4
golden_rivet dumbed down TV from BBC2 and the Snows Current Affairs 28
A Did anyone see The Trap... (Sun 18.3.07) BBC2 at 2100? Current Affairs 6
Shakey Extras, BBC2 The Quarterdeck 4
janner Thursday War - Portland. The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS First ‘Foodbank Thursday’ success for new response team MoD News 0
dapperdunn Thursday war. MoD News 3
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s flagship Carrier could arrive home as early as next Thursday, Defence... MoD News 7
shinson Interview AET Thursday Joining the Royal Navy 4
JamieDonut87 Got my interview on Thursday... RFA 4
scouse Thursday War Diamond Lil's 9
soleil ITV - Ade At Sea - Thursday, 27th March 2014 - 21:30 History 2
soleil BBC1 - Thursday, November 14th 2013 - Question Time - Portsmouth, Guildhall Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Sky 1 HD - Thursday, November 21st 2013 - "Inside RAF Brize Norton" Bases / Shore Est 8
soleil Channel 5: "Big, Bigger, Biggest" - Thursday, Oct 10th 2013 - 1900 Submariners 3
soleil HMS Raleigh Open Day - Thursday, July 25th 2013 Bases / Shore Est 36
BFRS BFRS Career Event - Oakham - Thursday 31st January The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
J Submariner interview this Thursday...HELP! Submariners 2
soleil Navy News: "Illustrious Finds Thursday’s Child Is Full Of War" The Fleet 0
Naval_Gazer HMS Chiddingfold returns from 3-year Gulf deployment on Thursday The Fleet 4
N got my final interview this comming thursday Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Good CO Long outage overnight Thursday - Friday am Site Issues 3
soleil HMS Raleigh - Open Day - Thursday 23rd July 2009 Bases / Shore Est 32
soleil Meet the Marines! - RM Museum Event - Thursday 28th May 2009 The Corps 0
golden_rivet Blitz walk - London Thursday 24/05 Social & Reunions 2
golden_rivet run ashore Thursday 22nd March ??? Social & Reunions 11
Good_CO Site down 0900 - 1000 GMT Thursday Site Issues 0
D OSTs/Thursday Wars! The Fleet 20
Sumo General election Dec 2019 Diamond Lil's 54
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: How is the criminal justice voluntary sector doing? (5 Dec, 2018) MoD News 0
S PRNC on 16th Dec Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Bad CO 25% Off Armadillo Merino Clothing Until 31 Dec 12 Travel & The Great Outdoors 0
Goatman_Blue Submarines in action - Gallipoli 1915 - Gosport Lecture Dec 7th . History 0
sparkey321 HMS Raleigh ( 11th Dec ) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp More on HMS AMBUSH launch - Thurs 16th Dec. Submariners 4