Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC2 - Thurs Feb 28th 2013 - "The Sea King - Britain's Flying Past"

Rocket_Ron

Lantern Swinger
On again tonight on Beeb 2, about 7ish i think.
Haven`t seen it yet so don`t tell me how it ends. :laughing8:

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
I saw it and thought it was fascinating. That said, they were very heavy on "The old bird is on her way out". As far as I understand the OSD of the Mk3A/Mk5/Mk7 is 2016 - can anyone confirm? If so, then doing a "Farewell to the Sea King" programme in 2013 is a little bit premature, is it not.......???

Captain Birdseye

Lantern Swinger
Well for a start, Sergeant can't pronounce Culdrose… twice. Listen out

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Yeah what the hell is ''CULROSE''?! For goodness sake. Idiot!!

I had no idea that the RAF and RN are getting rid of the Sea King. Sad times :(

I suppose that the Wildcat coming in 2014 is the replacement?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yeah what the hell is ''CULROSE''?! For goodness sake. Idiot!!

I had no idea that the RAF and RN are getting rid of the Sea King. Sad times :(

I suppose that the Wildcat coming in 2014 is the replacement?[/QUOTE]

As the Wildcat is just an upgraded Lynx, I always assumed the Merlin was the Seaking replacement. I'm sure a WAFU will come on and agree/correct me though.

Captain Birdseye

Lantern Swinger
As the Wildcat is just an upgraded Lynx, I always assumed the Merlin was the Seaking replacement. I'm sure a WAFU will come on and agree/correct me though.

I'm not sure myself. I just thought that as the Sea King is going, the RN are going to use the Wildcat helicopter for the Royal Marine operations and the Wildcat will be for the RN operations on ship and on base. But I could be way off.

Just assuming/speculation... :)

EDIT: Just re-read my post...I realised that I mentioned the Wildcat twice. For the latter, I meant to say the Merlin.

Last edited:
G

guestm

I'm not sure myself. I just thought that as the Sea King is going, the RN are going to use the Wildcat helicopter for the Royal Marine operations and the Wildcat will be for the RN operations on ship and on base. But I could be way off.

Just assuming/speculation... :)

You certainly are.

G

guestm

Yeah, had a feeling that I was.

Do you know what the RN are replacing the Sea King with?

Future Lynx / Wildcat will perform for RN / RM and Army in a variety of roles. Green Merlin is replacing Sea King mk 4, Cerberus fitted Merlin will replace the Mk 7 but that will be a botch job and they'll be shite at it. As for the mk 5, well the Merlin can't replace the Sea King in a SAR capacity due to it's prohibitive downwash, plus it's range is gash (see above for unsuitable AEW platform). RAF and RN SAR is doomed anyway.

Captain Birdseye

Lantern Swinger
Future Lynx / Wildcat will perform for RN / RM and Army in a variety of roles. Green Merlin is replacing Sea King mk 4, Cerberus fitted Merlin will replace the Mk 7 but that will be a botch job and they'll be shite at it. As for the mk 5, well the Merlin can't replace the Sea King in a SAR capacity due to it's prohibitive downwash, plus it's range is gash (see above for unsuitable AEW platform). RAF and RN SAR is doomed anyway.

Ahh I see, thanks Montigny. I really was way off!!

Your answer will definately come in handy for my interview ;)

G

guestm

Ahh I see, thanks Montigny. I really was way off!!

Your answer will definately come in handy for my interview ;)

Merlin has passed air to air refuelling tests, however the thought of wobbly heads doing that fills all with terror.

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
Was pretty interesting that. Could have done without Jo Brand though.

Yes your right, I wonder what this idiot woman has over the BBC hierarchy that allows her so much air time, she appears a total bloody idiot simpleton no matter what program she appears on.

This thick & obese woman really pisses me off.

Last edited:

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
[/QUOTE] As the Wildcat is just an upgraded Lynx, I always assumed the Merlin was the Seaking replacement. I'm sure a WAFU will come on and agree/correct me though.[/QUOTE] Wildcat an upgraded Lynx? I don't think so, I've had the benefit of inspecting one at Westland's, total FBW with "glass cockpit" the only similarities are the fact it's rotary & it's colour.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC2 - Britain's Biggest Warship - Sunday, April 15th 2018 - 8 pm The Fleet 102
soleil BBC2: PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster - Thursday, January 2nd 2014 - 21:00 History 42
soleil BBC2 - Thursday, Dec 5th 2013 - 21:00 - The Silent War: Know Your Enemy Submariners 75
soleil BBC2 - Friday, November 8th 2013 - "Cold War, Hot Jets" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil "Thatcher: The Downing Street Years" - BBC2 - Saturday, August 24th 2013 - 20:10 History 3
soleil BBC2 - The Falklands Legacy With Max Hastings - Sunday, April 2nd 2012 - 21:00 History 9
sgtpepperband Programme of Interest: "Castle Commando" (BBC2 (Scotland) - Tues @ 2100) The Corps 1
trehorn BBC2 - Frontline Medicine - Sunday November 20th 2011 - 2100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil BBC2 - Frontline Medicine - Sunday November 20th 2011 - 2100 Current Affairs 8
soleil BBC2: The Most Courageous Raid of WWII - 01 November 2011 - 2100 The Corps 10
Naval_Gazer BBC2 - 'Britain's Secret Seas' showing RN divers in action Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
Nick_Rueth BBC2 9pm tonight Submariners 2
soleil Possibly interesting programme on Bin Laden on BBC2 tonight The Quarterdeck 3
soleil BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern World" Current Affairs 80
soleil BBC2-1830-today-Great British Menu-visits HMS Gloucester The Fleet 5
soleil BBC2 - Great British Menu - HMS Trafalgar Submariners 4
golden_rivet dumbed down TV from BBC2 and the Snows Current Affairs 28
A Did anyone see The Trap... (Sun 18.3.07) BBC2 at 2100? Current Affairs 6
Shakey Extras, BBC2 The Quarterdeck 4
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp More on HMS AMBUSH launch - Thurs 16th Dec. Submariners 4
N Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 7
J 15th Feb intake date, anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil T-23 Ship Systems Controls Simulator Trainer - Vacancy - Gosport - Closing Date 07 Feb 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
ws1602 Phase 1 intake 3rd Feb 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 3
higthepig Navy news Feb 2019 The Quarterdeck 1
Quasar PRNC on the 25th of Feb in Portsmouth? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - Feb 19 Competitions 6
Y BRNC Feb 19 RFA 10
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
higthepig Navy news Feb 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
R BRNC in Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Subadubdub Starting FEB 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Goatman_Blue Missing RN veteran Feb 2017 Nearest & Dearest 5
T PRNC on the 27th of Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
P PRNC 6th of Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J Starting 5th Feb anyone else? HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 17
higthepig Navy News Feb 2016 The Quarterdeck 2
Jake K PRNC HMS Caledonia 22nd FEB 2016 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
slimboyfat Engineering Apprentice Feb 2016 course RFA 253
Naval_Families_Federation Naval Families Federation: Jan/Feb e-update Current Affairs 0
Gweekangreek AIB 2 Feb 2015 RFA 1
Naval_Families_Federation Naval Families Federation: Feb 2014 e-update Current Affairs 0
RF92 BRNC Feb 22nd RFA 21
Ageing_Gracefully Competitions update 28 Feb 13 Competitions 0
scouse This day 8th Feb 63 The Fleet Air Arm 7
G Feb 2013 BRNC Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S BRNC Feb start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Zigzag AIB 12th feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0