BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern World"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The first episode, Heart of Oak, of this new four-part series on the history of the Royal Navy, airs at 2100 on Friday 15th January 2010.

The Guardian says:

"Britain's national story is bound up with our mastery of the seas. But we shouldn't, suggests Dan Snow's excellent history of the Royal Navy, assume this was somehow inevitable. Instead, after the defeat of the Armada, successive administrations invested heavily in the Navy. At the time of the Restoration, for example, when Samuel Pepys overhauled its organisation, the Senior Service gobbled 25% of the national budget. The first of four episodes takes the story up to the Glorious Revolution of 1688".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/empire-of-the-seas/

2. Re: BBC:Empire of the Seas:How the Navy forged the Modern World

Has this got something to do with the Bermuda thread?

3. Re: BBC:Empire of the Seas:How the Navy forged the Modern World

Cheers soleil..!

Now 'Series linked'

4. Re: BBC:Empire of the Seas:How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

bump

5. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

Worth watching.

6. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

Will also be on BBC i player after first transmission so plenty of time to take in this series.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

When's this programme being aired? I haven't seen a reminder recently :lol:

8. bump as its just starting

9. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

I'm watching it in my 1's

10. Good first episode.
    Problems facing the navy back then are easily regoniseable into todays navy and politics.

11. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

You mean like landing 2000 matelot's in Cadiz and expecting them to by pass a warehouse full of wine?

12. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

I loved it. I loved every minute of it.

What a brilliant programme.

I had been a little concerned when I heard that the scope of the first episode in the series was the very early years of the foundation of the (Royal) Navy, as I thought this would make the programme, whilst still very interesting to anyone who already had a good knowledge of and interest in the history of the RN, a little inaccessible to those new to the subject. It was, however, edited in a way which intercut the scenes relating to that period with scenes of life in the modern Royal Navy including glimpses, not only of Pompey and Guzz, but BRNC and Greenwich.

The footage of Spain (Cadiz) added an extra dimension to the programme (I was shocked to hear in that segment that matelots had gone ashore and got completely smashed - who would have thought it?).

One last thing.

Dan Snow.

mmmmm............Oh Yeah .......

Have him wrapped and delivered to me this instant!

13. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

what else could i mean

14. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

A very interesting first episode. Dan Snow seems to have the knack of seamlessly jumping from the historical to the modern. Just as long as he doesn't emulate his father, with his swingometer, and arms flailing like a Maltese bus driver. :lol:
    A hadn't realised that our boy Samuel was quite such a player. 8O
    Certainly worth following up in my opinion.

2BM

15. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

Educational, entertaining and just quirky enough to make compulsive viewing for a wide-ranging audience. Roll on the next episode.

16. Re: BBC2/Friday Jan 15th/ "How the Navy forged the Modern Wo

Repeated on Beeb2 tomorrow at 1900 if you missed it, also available on the i player as I said earlier, loads of history I never knew like Pepys being the model for Jack in the future.......3 in a bed, piss artist and living life to the full.