Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC1: "Civvie To Sailor (sic)" - Sunday 19th June 2011 -17:30

slim

War Hero
As an old fart who attended Raleigh in 1963 from what I saw during the adverts for this program todays recruits have to be far fitter than ever we were. Well I did do mant 1/4 circuits of the parade ground with a Lee Enfield bouncing on my shoulder but I still reckon we had it easy:-D

Standing by for incoming from other old farts:pr:

Stirling

Banned

My damaged finger was still in plaster cast when our class did the final PT exam, stood and watched the rest of the class being beasted by the PTI's and was given a pass so we could all pass out from part 2 together, so yes Slim some of us did have it easier. :brushteeth:

scouse

War Hero
As an old fart who attended Raleigh in 1963 from what I saw during the adverts for this program todays recruits have to be far fitter than ever we were. Well I did do mant 1/4 circuits of the parade ground with a Lee Enfield bouncing on my shoulder but I still reckon we had it easy:-D

:sleepy2: If you had been a bit more skin and younger Slim, you would have spent a nice year on the parade ground at HMS ST Vincent, and have gone to HMS Fulmar far less Rotund.....and fitted into the cockpit of a Mk 1 Buccaneer of 809 squadron more easily :laughing2::laughing2:
i

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer

As an even older 'fart',Victoria Barracks and Indefatigable 1951...I agree whole heartedly. I would never have made the fitness requirements that the kids today have to pass. Maybe because we weren't given little bottles of water to carry around with us.

slim

War Hero
:sleepy2: If you had been a bit more skin and younger Slim, you would have spent a nice year on the parade ground at HMS ST Vincent, and have gone to HMS Fulmar far less Rotund.....and fitted into the cockpit of a Mk 1 Buccaneer of 809 squadron more easily :laughing2::laughing2:
i

Sod that St Vincent had a kin big mast that they made you climb, anyway my oppo Proff went to St V and he wasn't very sylph like:-D

Stirling

Banned
Maybe because we weren't given little bottles of water to carry around with us.

Or a gizmo strapped to the upper arm telling you how many calories you have crunched giving you an indication of the number of pies you can eat at the end of your run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil YT: BBC1 "Coverage Of The 50th Anniversary Of The Battle Of The Atlantic Presented By Brian Redhead" History 0
soleil BBC1: Antiques Roadshow World War 1 Special - Sunday, 6th April 2014 - 20:00 History 7
soleil BBC1: 'Britain's Great War' - Monday, 27th January 2014 - 21:00 History 20
soleil BBC1 - Thursday, November 14th 2013 - Question Time - Portsmouth, Guildhall Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil BBC1 The One Show - Friday 29th March 2013 - HMS President's Reservists Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
soleil BBC1 - 9pm - 06/12/2012 - Who Do You Think You Are? History 4
N Comedy Gold on BBC1 Diamond Lil's 4
soleil BBC1 - The One Show - Friday, 9th November 2012 - RM Band The Corps 1
BillyNoMates New Documentary on BBC1. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil BBC1 - Countryfile - "Remembrance Edition" - Sunday, 6th November 2011 History 0
soleil BBC1 - The One Show - HMS Ambush - Tuesday, 11th October 2011 - 1900 Submariners 2
soleil BBC1 - The Bomb Squad - Tuesday, September 13th - 22:35 Current Affairs 35
alfred_the_great Interesting programme on RALEIGH on BBC1 now Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil BBC1: The One Show - 19:00 - 7th June 2011 - HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 2
soleil BBC1 - One Show - Wed 30 March - 7pm - Cockleshell Heroes: The Final Witness The Corps 3
soleil SoS Defence On The Panel On Question Time BBC1 Tonight Current Affairs 9
Naval_Gazer BBC1 - Ex-CDs to talk about the Falklands conflict History 12
soleil Navy News: "Gannet Meets Baywatch - One Show BBC1 Tonight" The Fleet Air Arm 5
Quickstick4 HMS Archer (Aberdeen URNU) on BBC1 SCC and URNU 5
X.R.D Gen Sir Richard dannett on question time BBC1 @ 22:35 Current Affairs 27
soleil BBC1 - 23rd September 2009 - 2100 - "Wounded" Current Affairs 16
soleil RN SAR on "Seaside Rescue" BBC1, Wednesdays, 2030 The Fleet Air Arm 9
P BBC1 21:30 Road Traffic Programme The Quarterdeck 3
Graybags Demolition BBC1 19:00hrs tonight Diamond Lil's 2
B Civvie Job Capabilities Joining the Royal Navy 2
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website Current Affairs 24
T Civvie Street Reserve Policies Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
H Civvie street The Corps 42
C Tracing a civvie ship MV Lena 1991 - Gulf War 1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Naval_Gazer Queen approves posthumous VC for WWII Australian minesweeper sailor International 1
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 25
soleil Plymouth Live: "Plymouth Sailor Corners Bungling Burglar Who Terrified Woman Then Fell From The Roof" Bases / Shore Est 0
P Enlighten a soon to be Sailor with your wildest stories from runs ashore! The Quarterdeck 17
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Police Renew Search For Sailor Who Went Missing In 1986" Bases / Shore Est 4
R 'The Red Sailor' (Patrick O'Hara) Diamond Lil's 24
Ageing_Gracefully What do you do with the drunken sailor? Diamond Lil's 49
K Girlfriend of a Sailor Nearest & Dearest 4
E Help me identify this sailor..... History 37
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy sailor killed during World War 1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: An unknown British World War 1 sailor's grave identified and rededicated a centrury after his death MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER The Red Sailor The Book Club 37
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of brave Sussex born WW1 sailor finally rededicated almost a century later MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of World War 1 sailor rededicated 100 years after his death MoD News 0
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
MoD_RSS News story: British Battle of Jutland sailor killed 100 years ago is finally honoured after... MoD News 0
slim Portsmouth sailor acquitted of voyeurism charge after recording steamy shower romp Diamond Lil's 34
northern-matelot Forgotten grave found and restored by sailor and his dog. The Quarterdeck 13