BBC1: 'Britain's Great War' - Monday, 27th January 2014 - 21:00

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Jan 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. War Comes To Britain

"Jeremy Paxman traces the story of the dramatic early stages of the war, from
    stunned disbelief to the mass recruitment of volunteer soldiers.

Fear of invasion grips the country, Boy Scouts guard bridges, and spies are
    suspected everywhere. For the first time, British civilians are fired on by
    enemy ships and bombed from the air. Paxman meets a 105-year-old eyewitness to
    the shelling of Hartlepool, who describes how she thought the Germans had
    landed."

BBC One - Britain's Great War, War Comes to Britain

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Looking forward to that....and other progs on the great war.....but I'm hoping it'll all be over by Christmas. :salut:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daily Telegraph:

britainsgreatwarjp_2797703b.jpg

BBC's First World War series: 'Paxman defies my low expectations'

"Faced with marking the centenary of the monumental cataclysm that was the first of the 20th century’s two world wars – 10 million soldiers died, one million of them from Britain and her empire – you might reasonably have expected the BBC to reflect the modish tone of contemporary comment on the conflict. Plenty of war poets, lots about the “conchies” who refused any part in the struggle, and a general air of revulsion at the tidal wave of sacrificial patriotism for which so many died.

Refreshingly, however, the opening shot in the Corporation’s campaign to cover the anniversary, the four-episode series Britain’s Great War, presented by Jeremy Paxman, does not take that easy and clichéd option. Although from the doom-laden bongs of Big Ben counting out the seconds to the commencement of the war with Germany on August 4th 1914, we are left in no doubt of the scale of the coming tragedy, with Paxman’s mournful features and lugubrious voice underscoring the message, the first episode, taken as a whole, is measured and reverent rather than sneering, towards those who fought and fell."

BBC's First World War series: 'Paxman defies my low expectations' - Telegraph

4. If it's half as good as his book of the same title then it will certainly be worth watching. I received said book for Christmas and had read it by 27th, normally Christmas books get a read about March, when I've sobered up.:drunken:

2BM

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I thought Paxman got it right.

6. Wot he said... :number1:

7. Good programme, looking forward to the others.

8. I thought it was quite well done and was pleasantly surprised. Did I blink and miss it, though? a short run through of the immediate elements that preceded the kick off might have been useful. I'm astounded by the number of people who are clueless as to why we went to war for the first lot. That said, I listened to a group of blokes in the pub on Sunday night discussing the Falklands invasion; again clueless.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There's been a very good programme on telly down here about Gallipolli. It's fronted by an ex Aussie Int Officer and directed towards the Aussies. It blows a great big hole through the myth of the ANZACS being led to the slaughter by unthinking British officers, it's a good programme, highlights how much INT the ANZACS had gathered through the use of seaplanes/spies etc prior to planning their own landing and subsequent OPs, I hope it gets shown in the UK.

10. Is it this one, WB?

Gallipoli From Above - SENSIBLE FILMS

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, that's the one, well worth a look.

12. [​IMG]

"In the second part of his landmark series on how the First World War affected the lives of the British people, Jeremy Paxman describes the crisis facing the country as it becomes clear it is fatally unprepared to fight a modern industrial war.

Now the whole population is enlisted to turn the country into a war machine: women fill the factories to make bombs and bullets, men are forced to fight at the Front, conscientious objectors are threatened with the firing squad, and striking shipbuilders with jail. Even the beer is watered down on government orders.

Britain is having to learn to do as it is told."

BBC One - Britain's Great War, The War Machine

13. I can accept firing squads for conchies, and jail for striking dockies....but watering down the beer......despicable !!! :angry1:

14. .

Much like ANY claim for a lager older than mid-19th century, any claim for a British beer older than WW1 is merely propaganda.

Yes, people may have gone back to old recipes, but they are merely interpretations.

15. I thought last nights was a good one, when the Glasgow shipbuilders strike was covered and Paxo was talking to the 2 shop stewards, for some reason Guzzler sprang to mind! :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Concur, good programme, I thought the two Communistic Trades Union officials were led into hanging themselves out to dry quite well. The only thing I would have liked to see - difficult to squeeze anything more into such a packed programme - was a one-liner to explain that we HAD to attack on the Somme to stop the Hun moving more forces against the failing French at Verdun.

17. I watched the whole programme and don't remember that.

18. I dont suppose you have any idea where I could get a erm "legal" download of that do you?

19. Im currently reading Pozieres: The Anzac Story: Scott Bennett: 9781921844836: Amazon.com: Books this also tries to dispel the myth that the brave ANZACs were sent to death by incompetent imperialist British overlords. At some points the author (an Aussie) is very critical of Australian officers. Haig seemed to be fighting a battle just getting some sections of the Australian command to realise the Somme was a very different battle to Gallipoli.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014