BBC: Two diving chambers moved to Gosport Diving Museum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Naval_Gazer, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The "100m" and "690m" refer to the depth capabilities of the respective chambers. The Diving Museum is run by volunteers from the Historical Diving Society and is located in No.2 Battery, Stokes Bay. It has its own website here and will be open during the next two weekends before closing for the winter.

An audio slide show describing some of the exhibits is available on the BBC website here.

2. Make type 1's look modern! One man pot that's what they need, that tested human endurance!

3. The museum is well worth a visit if you are around Stokes Bay. Its only a couple of quid to get in, is packed with exhibits and it's interesting to see the inside of the Battery as well. On completion I can thoroughly recommend one of the all day breakfasts at the Bayside Cafe next door - lurvly!

4. Pompey News: History of the deep - finds in way to Gosport museum

The chambers were used by the Deep Trials Unit (DTU) to achieve world record-breaking experimental dives at the Royal Naval Physiological Laboratory (RNPL) in Alverstoke. In March 1970, founding Chairman of the Historical Diving Society Dr John Bevan and Peter Sharphouse (both members of the RN Scientific Service) established a new deep diving record at the Deep Trials Unit (DTU) by spending 10 hours at a simulated depth of 1,500 feet of seawater (457 metres of seawater). This dive was 300 feet beyond the predicted maximum of around 1,200 fsw (366 msw) and was described by American colleagues at the time as “a hyperbaric moon landing”.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good news NG I will give it a vist next time I'm in Gosport. Pioneering work was done there to help lay the foundations for saturation diving work in the Noth sea oil industry. Without which the country would have been the poorer and some of us ex navy divers would not of had a career.I hope the goats get a mention and the lads that did the trials they deserve the recognition.

6. Cheers w.anchor.

More information and access to photos can be found in the entry for 2 Nov 11 on the Latest News page of the MCDOA website.

The earliest sat diving tables were developed by the Admiralty Experimental Diving Unit (AEDU) established at Siebe Gorman in Tolworth during WWII and later relocated to HMS Vernon. During the late 1970s, I was one of the guinea pigs for the 90m trimix dives run by RNPL on behalf of AEDU at the Deep Trials Unit (DTU) in Alverstoke. Hairy stuff, not to mention bloody cold!

You might also look at the article titled 'HMS Reclaim - A World Record-Breaker' in the MCDOA website's Dit Box.