BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne Says"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Jul 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne S

This seems crazy, - this is an additional requirement that is funded every 20 - 30 years.

To pay for it out of an over - heated defence budget seems short sighted.

Perhaps the defence budget might be spared from further cuts provided they fund the boats? Every department has been asked to me "savings" or "cuts"

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Its the treasury playing hardball. They are no fans of the MoD and understand exactly what it is they are asking and the implications.

If you scratch the surface in HMT all you will find are career civil servants, at very high grades, who actually have little interest in the everday affairs of the UK. All they seek to do is preserve the power of HMT, it is a little world in its own right with very little oversight or governance applied to it.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I always think that the SNP can be compared to turkeys voting for christmas

"The Scottish National Party has called for Trident to be scrapped to preserve funding for the rest of the armed forces."

Would there be any point in keeping Fasland running?

4. that is that then.....how on earth can the MoD pay for this in todays world..

5. Re: BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne S

Is it the boats that have to be paid for out of the core budget or the entire Trident system as well?

The Americans won't let us compromise on this, - the worry is that something else will get cut.

Perhaps one carrier sold to the Indians?

6. Re: BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne S

All the MOD is being told is that sometime down the line they are possibly going to have to find the money to build these boats.This,so they can budget for them over the next 10 years or so.According to the BBC the final decision to build rests with David Cameron and he has yet to give it the nod.

7. Disappointing thing is the Beeb suggesting that "trident / IND" is always funded direct from the Treasury and that this is in some way a departure from the norm. I'm decrepit enough to remember that V-boats and Trident came largely out of the navy budget last time round, at the cost of half a dozen frigates/destroyers and the postponement of the LPD and ASS (now LPH), if I remember rightly.

At very least it should come from the overall MOD budget, but given current circumstances, Messrs Cameron/Osborne & Fox need to have a very serious conversation, very soon. In or out, one or t'other. The budget will not allow us to procure the cheapest option (Bomber + Trident) and maintain any sort of credible conventional force simultaneously.

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne S

Not a Boffin wrote

Indeed. I suspect that someone somewhere didn't make who pays clear or someone just didn't write it down. There never has been extra G£s for renewing / operating the IND, it comes out the RN's budget. There should be extra but there isn't. Why the surprise?

You can't be that old, you didn't contribute to the 'tot time' thread. Me neither.

9. Re: BBC: "Trident Costs Must Come From MoD Budget, Osborne S

It strike me as political positioning so that when the MoD says in a couple of years that we can afford either a stretched army or a IND, but not both, it'll be shown to be a MoD decision (and therefore legitimate) rather than a treasury decision (and therefore domestic politics).

Call me cynical ...

10. So the conservatives having broken their promise to protect the defence budget now transfer central government spending to the MOD to essentially reduce it even more.

On top of Labour's false claims of fully funding the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan it shows what politicans really think of the armed forces.

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

They haven't. See previous posts.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once again a game of "mind chess" it would seem.

With an incoming SDSR, all cards are on the table - yep even the supposedly sacrosanct 'IND hand' is up for scrutiny.

Worst case scenarios such as the RM moving to the control of the Army, the reduction of carriers, the need for the RAF, the requirement for a British Army presence in Germany, etc etc are simply bandied about to somehow make the actual plan appear more palatable when it's finally announced. 'twas ever thus.

It's only surprising the Red Arrows, military Bands, Navy Days & Army firepower demos haven't got a mention (yet).

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Bands are one of the few money making parts of the Services. I was thinking that sponsorship is the way ahead. HMS Brasso Bulwark or HMS Ark "Fairy Liquid" Royal.

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Whats CAMUS?

15. Corps of Army Music.