BBC: "The Cramped Sleeping Arrangements On HMS Triumph"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Jul 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. On O boats your bed became a seat in the mess square for scran,that does not happen on on T,A or V boats,they have a seperate mess for eating in
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They didn't on the A Boats that I served in!
  4. Having gone from A's to P's and then to Bombers and S class. My preference would always be the A class, especially for the size of bunks.
  5. I assume you don't mean the new A Class! - their bunks are shite and just about suitable for PORGs
  6. janner

We're talking diesel A's Bob
  7. Fly Navy,

Should have tried harder in school. :razz:
  8. Lets kick off the old chestnut again, I've not seen it resurrected in a long time.
    I'm pleased to see that you served IN A boats, Janner and not ON them. Always a bummer when they dived.
  9. janner

We had the in/on discussion at a SA Social evening, our President is very firm on it being in.
  10. Personally I was always "on" a particular boat and "in" the shit usually.
  11. .................................Who actually gives a shit!
  12. I'd rather be 'in it' rather than ' on it' at diving stations.
    Although I was left under the casing once securing the lines, fortunately they heard my screams!
  13. ========================

Not just Boats, chaps, 'tis a class thing.

RN-wide the WR traditionally refer to served/serving in HMS MASSIVE whilst the lower deck generally preferred to state served/serving on that same HMS M.

(Similarly the WR refer to their uniform gold lacing as 'stripes' whilst the rest of the RN calls 'em 'rings'.)
  14. This is why I still sleep on a shelf in one of my garden sheds and leave the condensing tumble drier on all night. Best nights kip I ever get.

15. I'd rather be on 5th watch and wave goodbye from the jetty, the last time I waved
    as the boat sailed, I was asked to go and have a word with the skipper on its
    return, apparently not a happy chap. As they were sailing from Fort Lauderdale,
    and I had to wait for a few days in an hotel at Coco beach, on extra subsistence
    until my flight home
  16. We sailed from Weymouth as young stoker waved is goodbye from the jetty.
    Sadly he should have sailed with us but was adrift so had to face the captains table when he arrived back onboard.
  17. Do you live on a house or in the ******.
    When I joined up the instructors used to tell us any ****** can get on a woman but the trick was to get in her, same as ships.
    Personally I don't give a **** unless its a cruise ship.:laughing6:
  18. We had similar as we left faslav, but a quick thinking young chap flagged down a friendly Royal in a rigged raider, and chased us down river, He still had to visit the table, and was congratulated on his quick thinking in limiting his offence but still got slammed for being adrift from sailing.