BBC: "Somali Piracy: Armed Guards To Protect UK Ships"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Mr Cook's comment relating the 'The Big Issue' is not exactly tactful!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Mr Cook also overlooks the fact that no Royal Marines have been made redundant, but they are leaving in droves, enticed by the high short term wage.

Same thing happened in Iraq & Afghanistan until the CP jobs vanished - after which, many try to rejoin.

Then again with frozen wages in the Service, and a government keen to reduce defence spending, who can blame them?

3. Stick a Bofors,Oerlikon or a Victorious type USA 3" then I'm your man!Age might be a problem though!
    I could rig up some speakers and play Max Bygraves records,that should work!

4. Looks like a bean counter has done the sums to work out that this is a cheaper option rather than having HMS Royal Navy cut back floating around the Indian oggin.

And the timing of this just after the anouncement of the Green Death's taxi service job in July. Coincidence? ... What? ...When politics is involved ..... nah.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You could be onto something there, a bunch of zealots standing at the guardrail with hi-viz jackets rattling collection tins and clutching direct debit forms would deter most people from boarding I would have thought.......

6. I know an ex Royal now a firefighter who has been granted a year off to do ship protection at 9K a month, nice work if you can get it and needless to say you need an understanding employer.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sooner or later the penny will drop & some genius will perhaps realise that a pay freeze, a reduction in available amphibious assault capacity (hulls) & a bucket of money on offer from the private sector, will generate an outflow of trained ranks that cannot be replaced & indeed retained once replaced.

Either we keep hemorrhaging trained rank booties at great expense, or we provide a decent wage in relation to a guaranteed contract.

Ho, hum.

8. :slow: The "Deck of cards " should send them away screaming in abject terror. Even more than "I'm a pink toothbrush." Is the silly old twunt still alive?:censored:

9. No his bristles fell out some years ago:pr:

10. Still alive, but got Alzheimer's, in Queensland,

11. Nah, he's just using Alzheimers as an excuse for why he is in Queensland - it saves all sorts of embarrassment when forced to give the real reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorry my mistake, bet the old twunt hasn't forgotten the words to the toothbrush song though