BBC: "Sir Stuart Peach Expected To Head Joint Forces Command"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Sep 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's interesting - which of us (US/UK) is out of step I wonder?
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't think the two can be compared, US JFCOM was all about joint concept development and experimentation, joint training, joint interoperability and integration, and being the primary conventional force provider and whilst most of these are the same remit as the UK JFCOM the difference will be the UK single services will give up their resources that are doing similar tasks whereas in the US the CoComs didn't do that and hence US JFCOM was just duplicating effort found elsewhere.

I think there UK JFCOM will also have a wider remit, JtLogs, JtMed, Cyber, which I'm not sure US JFCOM has fully taken on when it was chopped.
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The US really doesnt do joint very well. Say what you want about the UK, but we've managed to get Jointery working as a very genuine thing, very well. Considering that barely 20 years ago 'jointery' was to most people something that involved illegal drugs, I think its a sign of how well we've done that nowadays 'thinking purple' is most peoples default setting.

As for Sir Stu taking over - BZ on the 4th Star, and now for his reign of terror to begin afresh... :)
  4. The US doesn't do Allied very well either in my humble experience. Thanks W-D and P-T for your posts - no contrary views from me, my post was actually (very poorly now I think about it) directed at the different approaches to managing defence spending and the respective allocation of dwindling resources.
  5. Background:

Hansard, 27 June 2011:

"Thirdly, the service chiefs have an established role as advocates for their service, but powerful single-service advocacy can sometimes be at the cost of joint or cross-cutting capability. The report has recommended that we create a new Joint Forces Command. It will manage and deliver specific joint enabling capabilities and set the framework for other joint enablers within the single services. It would include the permanent joint headquarters and be led by a new four-star commander. Joint Force Command will therefore be an important organisation in its own right but also have a symbolic purpose, reflecting our view of how conflict will develop, and providing a natural home for some of the capabilities of the future, such as cyber, as well as reinforcing joint thinking, joint behaviours, and the new generation of officers in defence. It offers a new opportunity for career progression right to the top and a challenging and intellectual career for those who otherwise may not have been attracted to defence. It is a fundamentally meritocratic reform. It may also be a path for service personnel who are injured on operations and unable to serve on the front line, but who are still determined to serve their country."

Part 9 of Lord Levene's report of this June goes into this in more depth:

Annex E has bullet points.

Annex F is particularly relevant, showing the Initial Joint Forces Command Structure.
  6. Excellent choice for the new JFCom - proven man-manager, adept at creating a trusting, learning environment, where true jointery rules over single service politics, who is willing to use his clout to truly allow Mission Command in his sub-ordinates......
  7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm now working for him for the second time and while he may have a fierce reputation I have never found him to be other than perceptive, receptive and definately in tune with the Mission Command concept. Hopefully this new structure will do away with the inter Service back biting that belonged in the 70's and which has been so massively destructive recently.
  8. Best he tells his 2*/1* and 1/2*'s about mission command, because PJHQ seems to be the beast that needs feeding and always saying 'no'.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wave_dodger

Sadly quite the reverse is about to happen. With the DRR decimating Main Building (rightly or wrongly another debate), much of the work, decisions and money will fall to the FLCs, just watch them all start squabbling especially where Joint Enablers are concerned or where one FLC gets the lead and the rest don't agree. We've just taken the biggest step backwards in the last 50 years. Hope I'm wrong and time will tell but if we are about to step on the wrong path it will be nigh impossible to get back especially as we have no real funding and associated headroom to manoeuvre with.
  10. Perhaps the answer is to make JFCom a full "ComCom" in the style of the US, running everything with the 3 Services relegated to providing trained units only. In many ways there is no "good answer"; it's almost the very definition of a "wicked problem", and relies on good behaviour from all involved to make it work.

Interesting there was no concomitant announcement of CJO (and the line in the release that has AM/ACM Peach working on the problem "immediately"). Does this mean CJO is now downgraded, and not the primus inter pares of 3* that he once was? Does the RN have anyone to succeed him, and if so, who? (I've some ideas, but I'm not sure that they quite meet the unstated requirements of CJO viz. a 3* Command previously, which the RN will always loose out on.)
  11. wave_dodger

I can't remember his name but its going to be a current 2* bootneck on promotion to 3*!

I think Phil Jones is going to be the new DCINC too, which is excellent news.
  12. Gordon Messanger DSO* is the Bootneck; what's happening to Zambellas if Jones is going to be DCINC. And more to the point, how did a hanky waver become a 3*?!
  13. No comm, no bomb!
  14. Offensive 'scent' doesn't count as a 'bomb'!
  15. wave_dodger

Nope, that wasn't the name I heard, it will come to me..........

Hanky waver, oddly thats what the Navy needs someone who understands C4ISTAR isn't a luxury
  16. Buster Howes is going to be DA to the USA, not sure how many other 2* RM there are....
  17. The sound of sweet music to my ears.