BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Dec 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey

Is it only in Pompey that falling overboard makes the BBC News.
    When I fell? overboard whilst painting around the shell holes on the old Ark in Devonport dockyard, the Jaunty threatened me with breaking ship! :oops: ( The git who was supposed to be holding the bottom of the ladder wasn't)

2. Re: BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey

The old Ark had been shelled?

3. Re: BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey

The "shell holes" were the large openings around the quartedeck that enabled the working of ropes,wires, fastening of tugs to the bollards and of course a big opening that matelots could do the hands to bathe bit :wink:

4. Re: BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey

Trelawney

How did you come to fall off?

Did you hurt yourself?

Did you have to be fished out of the water?

5. Re: BBC: "Sailor Falls Into Water From HMS Diamond in Pompey

Was painting the area above the shell hole, using ladder resting on the upper aspect. wearing a lifeline, or to more exact the end of a heaving line around my waist. The chap who was supposed to be stopping the ladder from slipping on the wooden deck sloped off to do something else. I bent down to dip the paintbrush in the pot, ladder slipped, And "Hands to Bathe"
    Didn't hurt myself but it was January/February and cold. Swam to the jetty as we were alongside.
    The most dangerous aspect of painting on the old type carriers was painting the overhang on the ships side. Wire netting bowsed into eyelets and you'd be inside the net encased in the wire netting and paint. The most dangerous part was cutting away the ropes holding the wire nets after the side was painted.
    All happened before the repeal of section 10 of the Crown Immunities Act.
    I reckon several matelots have fallen overboard during such evolutions

6. AB Spur Lash, visitor gangway,AB Spur Lash!