BBC: "Review Into Criminal Offending By Armed Forces Veterans"

soleil

War Hero
"A review will be set up by the government to look into the reasons why some veterans turn to crime after they leave the armed forces.

Ministry of Defence figures suggest that former service personnel make up about 3.5% of the prison population.

The probe will also see how support could be improved for veterans given custodial or community sentences.

The review has been ordered by Justice Secretary Chris Grayling and will be headed by Conservative MP Rory Stewart."

BBC News - Review into criminal offending by armed forces veterans

Concern over number of soldiers who end up in jail prompts review | UK news | The Guardian

Last edited:

babygravy

Lantern Swinger
Same happened in US after Vietnam. In fact more US soldiers died after coming back from Vietnam, that actual casualties during combat. Mainly suicides I believe.

More after-care is needed for our troops I believe...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
When I first scanned this thread, my thoughts were: "Why is a former employer held to account if someone chooses to break the law or can't find a job to pay for accommodation and finds themselves homeless? Surely it's exactly the same for anyone"

But no, it isn't.

After more than a decade of combat operations there is a ticking time bomb of vulnerable service personnel with mental health problems. It beggars belief that the only people unaware of this are the politicians that voted to send these people to war on their behalf.

The problem is, of course, is that PTSD is not necessarily visible or apparent, even to the sufferer.

Sadly there will always be charlatans who find it easier to exploit the "system" and blame their circumstances on others, but morally, society is surely obligated to look after these people, funded from central government - not rely on the goodwill and charity to pick-up the pieces for poor errors of judgement by successive governments.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
All armed services people who have served theior country should jump to the top of the council waiting list if they have no where else to go. Failing that they should automaticaly be put into accomodation of some sort . I was standing outside a restraunt in London a few months ago when this scuffy unkempt so and so came over to me . He quoted his service number rank and unit and proceded to tell me that he had been let go from the army and had no support. I dont know if this is right or not but he wasn't high or pissed . I chatted to him for about 10 minutes where he told me about afganistan and a few of his mates getting blown up ect . He said he got no support as a grunt in the army only hofficers got that . Im not sure thats actually true but he probably had issues .

Maybe I was taken in I dont know, but he was lucid and seemed very much down on his luck . I gave him all the cash I had in my wallet and told him to get some food and find a place for the night. Guilt , probably but I just felt for the poor sod. I hope the 50 quid odd i gave him didnt go on booze and drugs maybe it did, maybe it didnt but it felt right to me.

soleil

War Hero
I suspect that for many of these poor buggers, living in relative luxury in the slammer might be preferrable to living in shop doorways. I have an ex Rupert pal who nearly finished up doing the latter.

9,000 ex-service personnel homeless after leaving the military - Mirror Online
I was sorry to read about your pal, P-o-L and hope that he/she is now OK. Rum Rationers link in to all sorts of organisations across the country who can help in such a situation, so if he/she needs any further help, do let him/her know that it is out there for him/her.

With regard to the homelessness situation, I note the contents of that article. I suspect that something has changed in a way which probably ties in with things hinted at in Ninja's post. In 2005, I met a SSAFA team in a temporary shelter for homeless people and we were discussing the situation re homelessness in the ex Forces' community. I recollect that they said that the numbers were dropping, but it seems clear to me that something happened in the years after 2005 which caused the numbers of homeless ex Forces personnel to rise, but I am not sure what that is.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "Q&A: Strategic Defence And Security Review" Current Affairs 0
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 24
MoD_RSS BBC and Government's joint statement on delaying the TV licence fee for over 75s MoD News 0
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil YT: "Bugatti Veyron vs Euro Fighter - Top Gear - BBC" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Why The RAF's New F-35 Jets Matter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Radio 4: "The Briefing Room - Why Are The British Armed Forces Short Of Personnel?" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
Passed-over_Loggie BBC; RAF at 100 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
D BBC pay levels Current Affairs 9
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
Wightsparker Outrageous BBC foul-up Diamond Lil's 9
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
HMR&C BBC iPlayer Diamond Lil's 24
soleil BBC: "Duchess Of Cornwall To Officially Open New Armed Forces Medical Training Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC 1: 'Marine A - Criminal Or Casualty Of War' - 22:25 - Wednesday, April 9th 2014 MoD News 20
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil BBC: "World War 2 Uneaten Christmas Cake Mystery Solved" Submariners 0
soleil BBC Radio 4 - Open Country - Royal Haslar Hospital Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil BBC: Football Focus With The Troops In Afghanistan - Saturday, 21st December 2013 Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil BBC Magazine: "Life On A British Cold War Submarine" Submariners 4
soleil BBC: "Henry Allingham Sculpture Installed At Fleet Air Arm Museum" The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil BBC: "Navy Chefs Stir Up Pudding Interest" Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil "David Dimbleby Presents New BBC One Series Britain And The Sea" Current Affairs 14
exJenny BBC News: Appeal for mourners Current Affairs 1