BBC; RAF at 100

Standing by for the usual vitriolic drips from the anchor faces, any thoughts on the BBC's efforts? For my part, I was amazed and annoyed that Coastal Command didn't even get a mention. So the Air Force contributions to the U-Boat battles were of less important than the SOE taxi service? No SAR service nor ASR marine craft? Also, in the beginning, I heard no mention of the RNAS. My tinnitus may have let me miss it but the wife didn't clock it either. So the great unwashed probably now think that the RAF is just an Army mob that was given independence and, for 5 years of its 100, employed some jolly nice girls to ferry its aeroplanes around. All in all, I'm unable to hoist a BZ for it.

I ddn't like the "forgetting" of some facts, like Dave Morgan was a crab on 800 SEA harrier Sqdn & later joined the RN. It didn't show Dave Morgan's cab with the 30mm shell hole in it's but kept showing GR1/3s which he never flew down south.

For a programme of 90 minutes duration it could have been so much better.

Dumbed down and full of holes.

I can't help wondering if was originally meant to be series of 3 or 4 one-hour episodes and has been edited to death.

I caught the second half of the programme. Great filming, and great insights into the experiences of veterans. A couple of things grated, including how the RAF alone won the Battle of Britain ( but to be fair the RAF was the biggest contributor on our side) ) and how the RAF actually won the war by taking it to the enemy.
But the programme WAS about the RAF's 100th anniversary, so a certain amount of latitude should be permitted. I'm also biased, as my father was Bomber Command aircrew and was fortunate not to be among the 55,000 who didn't come back.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Standing by for the usual vitriolic drips from the anchor faces, any thoughts on the BBC's efforts? For my part, I was amazed and annoyed that Coastal Command didn't even get a mention. So the Air Force contributions to the U-Boat battles were of less important than the SOE taxi service? No SAR service nor ASR marine craft? Also, in the beginning, I heard no mention of the RNAS. My tinnitus may have let me miss it but the wife didn't clock it either. So the great unwashed probably now think that the RAF is just an Army mob that was given independence and, for 5 years of its 100, employed some jolly nice girls to ferry its aeroplanes around. All in all, I'm unable to hoist a BZ for it.

Not as to defend the programme makers /editors, but:

I'd suggest the lack of Coastal Command references might (and I emphasise might) be down to the fact that this would've invited any uncomfortable questions about the 2010 decision to bin the MR4 Nimrod. Likewise, I was gutted that there was no mention of the RAF SAR Force, but that was another decision (the contractorisation of SAR) that the RN / RAF seniors might just regret in years to come.

FWIW most RAF people I know are well aware of the Service's origins in the RFC and RNAS.