BBC on India

Discussion in 'International' started by JonnoJonno, Apr 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks

I am not in any way a train spotter; but if you get the opportunity to watch BBC2's 'Indian Hill Railways' it is well worth the watch.

Currently watching the second episode. I have every intention of watching them all again on BBC iplayer. It is a superb documentary with stunning camera work.
  2. Agree JJ, some of the scenery last night was jaw dropping, would love to do that trip to Oopy.

If you have not seen it folks, catch the first 2 episodes on the i-player, Bernard Hill doing the commentry so easy on the ear too.
  3. Did any two-year olds get rescued?
  4. Nah, they just left them under the trains. Saves them having to tell spurious tales later on.
  5. I too stayed in and watched said program last night, I thoughly enjoyed the documentry. Couldn't believe they held a beauty pagent for the trains. It just goes to show how highly regarded a job in the public sector is held in Indian society. Enjoyed the lack of health and safety when removing the boulder off the line.
  6. Fuck off you cheeky bastard.

It's a Class 390 Pendolino anyway.
  7. Nah, I fly. What could go wrong?
  8. Ha! Now I'm busted. I have stood on the footplate of the Flying Scotsman when I was a kid.

Doh! I've said to much :D
  9. Must admit I don't really 'get off' on trains, and I know very little about India, but that programme last night was something pretty special. Good telly.
  10. If you can, watch the rest of them on iplayer. The one from a couple of weeks ago was amazing. It is not just the scenery, but the ability of the script to just tell a simple story. Bloody brilliant.
  11. I have been known to walk disused railways, normally because they take you to some pretty cool abandoned buildings and structures. Like this puppy, Big water of fleet viaduct.

12. Spotters...
  13. Yup, I like old golden era stuff.
  14. I must confess MLP, I know what you mean ref old lines, I've done many a mile down rural roads in Spain and every time I see an old station, usually in the middle of nowhere no town in sight.
  15. I hear you. I crossed this puppy yesterday in North Wales:

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. All iron channel, sitting on top of Stone pillars held together with Lime and Ox Blood. Amazing.
  16. Ah, the little railways of India;
    Regrettably, I had to get the bus from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling because part of the track had slipped down the valley. It was nice to see the toy train “thunder†past my “hotelâ€, first thing in the morning, though.
  17. No worries; there's some kids being cut with scalpels on the train programme.