BBC on board HMS Illustrious - BBC Breakfast

Thanks SgtPepper, noticed your post just in time to tune in ......

Was on the Isle of Dogs at midday and saw them fly over.

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Definitely remember reading somewhere (sorry but can't find link) that the reason there is no FW flypast is that Harrier, being single engine) is not allowed to overfly central London (no diversion if engine problems).
Doesn't normally stop the crabs, but there you go.

McHammock said:
Definitely remember reading somewhere (sorry but can't find link) that the reason there is no FW flypast is that Harrier, being single engine) is not allowed to overfly central London (no diversion if engine problems).
No, it's because we're FCUKING BUSY prepping for every conceivable deployment in the world ever and trying to stay current. Remember our harmony guidelines are looser than the RAF's so if they have done 4 months work a year then thats that, we then have to cover all FW commitments whilst they see their families and act the civvy.

Now you try and fit in a flypast in London when you are trying to stay current for CVS and Herrick.

Edited for spastic use of lower case.

P2000

Lantern Swinger
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Busy like you have no idea, if you could see our longcast then you'd understand why we can't go for a mince around London, even for just one afternoon. There is however one of our jets onboard the Lusty for the public to have a gander at.
Quite understand. It's a shame we don't have more aircraft and aircrew to spare one for this, but as you say, delivering operational capability is key. You guys are doing a great job in an intense set of circumstances.

McHammock said:
No, it's because we're FCUKING BUSY prepping for every conceivable deployment in the world ever and trying to stay current. Remember our harmony guidelines are looser than the RAF's so if they have done 4 months work a year then thats that, we then have to cover all FW commitments whilst they see their families and act the civvy.

Now you try and fit in a flypast in London when you are trying to stay current for CVS and Herrick.

I thought you were going outside as in a previous post you mentioned your resettlement?

flymo said:
McHammock said:

I thought you were going outside as in a previous post you mentioned your resettlement?
I am, Jan 2010. However I am still in a front line billet due to service requirements and still deploy.

Saw the breakfast news and noticed the skipper was Ben Key
He was the skipper of the Iron Duke in 00-01 for our southlant deployment great bloke, crackin skipper, chuffed to see he's got a carrier drive
We thought he was destined for greater things on the Duke

flymo said:
McHammock said:

I am, Jan 2010. However I am still in a front line billet due to service requirements and still deploy.
Ahh, that's a poo. I recall hearing about guys still at sea back in '96 who were made redundant during the "options for change" mallarky. Some could not be spared for resettlement courses...... go figure.
Apols for off topic.

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
McHammock said:
Yup, that's right. That was reiterated again today. There was one Harrier parked on Lusty's flight deck. The Crabs even let the RN paint the tailfin for Fly Navy 100 .

Had an eye-opening chat with Edgar Lee, the last Channel Dash survivor. Of the men he trained with as an observer, just four survived the war. Someone to definitely take my hat off to...