Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC News" Charles De Gaulle Carrier"

finknottle

Banned
BBC News - On board France's flagship aircraft carrier off Libya

Did anyone else watch the 6 o-clock news on this evenings BBC National News. An English reporter on how great the French Carrier was and then extolled the virtues of having a carrier on site. Couldn't agree more with him nor the French captain, "if we had more than one carrier" No reference to the sad decline of our forces. Must be grateful for small mercies I suppose.

We all know the folly of this governments actions and their bean-counters.

seafarer1939

War Hero
The French can afford a carrier they haven't pumped billions into a war with Iraq and Afghanistan! Sure they done just about enough to get the French in the public eye as with the beheading of their Special Forces who took no notice about a warning not to go down that route.
I sympathise with all those French or otherwise who have lost their lives and the French jets do provide good top cover.
My point is they don't commit the cash for such conflicts as we and the Yanks do and don't mention the Bloody Germans who aren't allowed to go out at night!
They are taking a lead in Libya but hang on! there's oil in Libya none in Afghanistan! There's your answer,they can afford a carrier, first class rail system,state sponsored Airline,first class Nuclear energy, plus a lot more.
Oh! I forgot they are or were beneficial from large amounts of EU cash we paid into which they then hoovered up to build carriers etc
We are idiots and run by idiots, We shelve our Armed Forces in order to help build up other countries Armed Forces!
You couldn't make it up.

finknottle

Banned
It wasn't the current government that fucked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The financial crisis affected many affluent countries, I expect you think the Broon was responsible for that? You don't see these other countries decimating their Armed Forces. This new gang of clowns of ours have been in charge for over a year so don't you think it's time you stopped trotting out the same old blame game shite?

Sent from my armchair generals armchair.

Last edited:
G

guestm

The financial crisis affected many affluent countries, I expect you think the Broon was responsible for that? You don't see these other countries decimating their Armed Forces. This new gang of clowns of ours have been in charge for over a year so don't you think it's time you stopped trotting out the same old blame game shite?

Sent from my armchair generals armchair.

Pot, kettle. But I digress. As superpom pointed out, this hasn't happened overnight. This has been going on for years and years. If any of us knew the best way forward we'd be in parliament not spouting Ill informed bias on a forum. The previous two governments dealt more damage to the combined armed forces than the present one has (as yet). The well is dry thanks to I'll advised adventures in the middle east and an appalling labour government. Now we just have to chow down heartily on the shit sandwich.

finknottle

Banned
Pot, kettle. But I digress. As superpom pointed out, this hasn't happened overnight. This has been going on for years and years. If any of us knew the best way forward we'd be in parliament not spouting Ill informed bias on a forum. The previous two governments dealt more damage to the combined armed forces than the present one has (as yet). The well is dry thanks to I'll advised adventures in the middle east and an appalling labour government. Now we just have to chow down heartily on the shit sandwich.

It would appear that the well is far from dry as Cameron and his gang dole out millions of our money to Johnny Foreigner and he ploughs on regardless making cuts to services for the old and vulnerable and regardless of what Clegg says privatising the NHS via the back door. What he should be doing is applying all his energy to extraditing our troops from the unwinnable Afghanistan as opposed to strutting the world stage saying, 'look at me what a good guy I am'.

Last edited:
G

guestm

It would appear that the well is far from dry as Cameron and his gang dole out millions of our money to Johnny Foreigner and he ploughs on regardless making cuts to services for the old and vulnerable and regardless of what Clegg says privatising the NHS via the back door. What he should be doing is applying all his energy to extraditing our troops from the unwinnable Afghanistan as opposed to strutting the world stage saying, 'look at me what a good guy I am'.

Without lobbing money at foreign countries and with little else to give, our position on the world stage would fast diminish and we'd be alone and fucked.

I'm with you on Afghanistan though.

Rumrat

War Hero
Without lobbing money at foreign countries and with little else to give, our position on the world stage would fast diminish and we'd be alone and fucked.

I'm with you on Afghanistan though.

Ah **** it why don't we just get whats left in the pot, have one fuckin great run ashore and the shut the shop.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
Do we not have HMS Ocean patrolling off Libya? Its from this Assault ship apache helicopters will be deployed when needed. RAF fixed wing aircraft were capable to fly from Italy to Libya and back on bombing missions so there is no need for an RN fixed wing carrier.

HMS Illustrious has just finished a refit and will be relieving HMS Ocean shortly while she has a refit to 2014.

scouse

War Hero
Do we not have HMS Ocean patrolling off Libya? Its from this Assault ship apache helicopters will be deployed when needed. RAF fixed wing aircraft were capable to fly from Italy to Libya and back on bombing missions so there is no need for an RN fixed wing carrier.

HMS Illustrious has just finished a refit and will be relieving HMS Ocean shortly while she has a refit to 2014.
:angel7:Think you might find the Lusty, is going for scrap, after refit. Like her sister ships!!!! Leaving only the "Mighty Ocean" for the FAA, and yes we got away with not having a Strike Carrier, for the implementation of the no fly zone over Libya. Using the bases in the Med. But will not be so lucky if it is further afield, when tasked in the next trouble spot!!!!

Last edited:
A

angrydoc

If you think that having the RAF flying from very expensive airbases in Italy is a good alternative to having a carrier in the area then you are possibly more naive than most newbies on this forum.

tommo

War Hero

No need for fixed wing carrier??? Not if you like spending a fortune on the RAF to stay in expensive hotels etc

Not the most switched on person

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
:angel7:Think you might find the Lusty, is going for scrap, after refit. Like her sister ships!!!! Leaving only the "Mighty Ocean" for the FAA, and yes we got away with not having a Strike Carrier, for the implementation of the no fly zone over Libya. Using the bases in the Med. But will not be so lucky if it is further afield, when tasked in the next trouble spot!!!!

I thought that the plan was that Lusty would come into the fleet as a helo carrier and replace Ocean whilst she was in refit

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
exJenny BBC News: Appeal for mourners Current Affairs 1
soleil BBC News: "Royal Navy Pilot On Doing US Top Gun Training" The Fleet Air Arm 3
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties" Current Affairs 32
Ships_Cat BBC News: "The US Navy Seal now living as a woman" The Quarterdeck 10
T BBC News - F-35 fighter jet fleet grounded by Pentagon Current Affairs 31
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Russia explores old nuclear waste dumps in Arctic" Submariners 2
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Top Gun to be released in 3D in 2013" Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
sgtpepperband BBC News: "HMS Astute Recovers After a Shaky Start" Submariners 0
Topstop BBC News the truth at last? Diamond Lil's 1
soleil BBC Hampshire News: "Nelson's HMS Victory Becomes Marvin Ayres' Recording Studio" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil BBC News Magazine: "Does Anybody Still Need Aircraft Carriers?" The Fleet 3
soleil BBC News: "Portsmouth Council Leader On Scottish Naval Contracts" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil BBC News: "How To Land An F-35 Jet Fighter At Sea The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil BBC News Magazine: "Could Britain Still Defend The Falklands?" Current Affairs 0
sgtpepperband BBC News: "HMS Victory 'set to be recovered' from seabed" History 2
soleil BBC News: "How Germany's Feared Scharnhorst Ship Was Sunk In WWII" History 1
soleil BBC News: "Royal Navy Arrests Suspected Pirates Off Somali Coast" Current Affairs 8
soleil BBC News: "Lord West Explains Life In Royal Navy To School Children" The Fleet 0
sgtpepperband BBC News: "'Eat less, exercise more', says government on obesity" Health & Fitness 6
J BBC News: UK and US forces 'rescue pirate-held Italian ship' Current Affairs 6
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Servicemen urged to seek help for mental war wounds" Current Affairs 0
EarlyChop Cheap labour -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14648111 Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC News, Scotland: "Royal Navy Rescue Helicopter Targeted By Laser" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil BBC News: "Arab Spring Standby Role For HMS Albion" The Fleet 2
soleil BBC News Highlands & Islands: "HMS Sutherland's Visit Cut For Operational Reasons" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC News: "Award For Triple Amputee Former Marine From Plymouth" The Corps 4
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Prince Phillip to see Cutty Sark restoration" Current Affairs 18
scouse Beautifull ship off Libyan Coast on BBC News Yesterday The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil BBC News: "Two Nimrod UK Spy Planes Reprieved Until June At Least" Current Affairs 26
soleil BBC News: "Navy Ship Arrives In Malta With Libya Evacuees" Current Affairs 6
soleil BBC News: "Defence Estates Job Cuts: 2,500 To Go By 2014" Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "The Millionaires who flew to war" History 4
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Electric cars will be eligible for subsidies" Motoring 4
tommo BBC News: Queen bids farewell to HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 6
O BBC News - Defence Spending Cuts Agreed Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "New study claims ADHD 'has a genetic link'" Current Affairs 4
sgtpepperband BBC News: "Lord Mayor apologises for trouser drop" Diamond Lil's 4