BBC: "Navy Slashes Number Of Recruits At HMS Raleigh"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bumped into one of my ex cadets yesterday who was given a date of January next year to join up,that has been put on hold and people joining November from non shortage branches have been bounced off that to allow the others in. AFCO chaps any news on this ?

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Not really news.

The Navy broadly reached manning balance last year so needs to pull a few leavers to slow down intake. Plus we all know there will be a reduction in force numbers across all three services so it makes sense to bear down on the intake numbers for the time being until such time as they know the way ahead and can plan properly.

Better to do this now than have a surplus of recruits in the near term.

3. Yes that's pretty much how it is. All entries between Dec and April have been postponed. The last new entry into Raleigh will be 28th November, so the allocator for the RN has had to re-jig the entry to fill the jobs that we need filling. This means that some candidates have lost entry dates and some have been given dates earlier than expected.

They are also cutting about 70 places from the BRNC entry in Jan 2011.

What will happen post SDSR and in next years recruiting figures, your guess is has good as mine???!!!!

Keep smiling

SM

:)

4. In the next financial year only 1060 recruits will be accepted through the gates of Raleigh.

5. Where did you get that piece of information from??

6. I think that figure is prior to the SDSR

7. Bet a fair few applicants will have panic attacks reading this for first time. Going by posts from SM and NS im assuming its more a case of you will get in but it might just take longer than planned

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If a complete shutdown happens, presumably this means all the trained and experienced trainers are dispersed to other jobs? So on restart, a whole new team is needed? Is training new entries something that doesn't need a cadre of experience?

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"If a complete shutdown happens, presumably this means all the trained and experienced trainers are dispersed to other jobs? So on restart, a whole new team is needed? Is training new entries something that doesn't need a cadre of experience? "

If its for 6 months then I imagine a lot of leave backlog will be cleared, training done, musters completed (and evidence of missing items destroyed :) ) and everyone will use the chance to catch up on all the many SLJs that never have the time to be done.

OR

They drink coffee, spin dits and secure early ;-)

10. There was a similar, but less severe, situation in 1967. I took a class through, 22 stream, passed them out, had my week's "standoff", reported to the training office to pick up my next class, and found myself watchkeeping on the main gate as PO of the guard for the next few months. By the time recruiting picked up in the late spring, I was already on the parade staff. I don't know whether it works the same now, but "experienced trainers" were made on the job in those days. My preference draft was Raleigh, my draft chit when I left my last ship read "Raleigh for instructional duties". Two week IT course in Drake was the only qualification I had.
    I expect they'll find something to do with all the "spare" instructors until the dust settles.

2BM

11. As the Herald says, it isnt a complete shutdown as the phase 2 & 3 students will still be passing through. As for the staff disappearring, I am sure they will use the time wisely to catch up on courses and leave. It will only effect the staff that are purely phase 1, which isnt a great amount

12. Would have been more interesting if it had been an article about a rampage at Raleigh after an Instructor decides he's had enough. On subject though, this caused a huge panic on other forums/sites among potential joiners so the media did at least get the scare value they usually seek. Maybe all those people didn't read it through

13. Does this mean less people will see my beaming grid on the initial careers presentation DVD?! :lol:

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yup, that's the reason we've cut numbers. :wink:

15. Ha ha! Cheers Ninja!

16. So what if youve been waiting from september 2009.. im waiting to go in as a Supply Chain Logistician... Am i still looking to get in 2011