Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC Mag: "What do servicemen learn from skiing?"

Re: BBC: "What do servicemen learn from skiing?"

I learnt that after a few swift ones, I was shit at it. I learnt that pissing up in the snow is no different than at home.
I bloody enjoyed it though. Navy Ski Champs 92, Cnut (RAF) Champs 91.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Tree 'stops' hurt.
Tree 'stops' with mahoosive bergans on hurt more.
Skiing can be fun as long as the apres ski offers more than a snow hole or construction of a pussers ski village ala tent and cam and single tracks etc etc and no Clubs/alcohol! :D
MSIs are generally nice blokes with unfortunate ML aspirations. :twisted:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
NZ_Bootneck said:
Tree 'stops' hurt.

Tree stops can more than hurt - there was a fatality last week at one of my local ski hills (Calabogie) when an 11 year old girl headed off piste into the trees. However, that won't stop me from skiing - a few hours skiing followed by a few more hours replacing the fluids that I'd sweated off (and celebrating the fact that I've survived) is a great way to spend winter.

fleetchief

Badgeman
TBH the less the armed forces carp on about AT at the current time , the better. folks on the outside are losing jobs and houses. how does it look to hear ET(M) Stokes is recovering in hospital for 6 months after losing out to a douglas fir?

Or LT (AWW) Princess tippy toes falling off her pony as a member of th RN showjumping team?

:roll:

edited for spakker spelling

bikerman

War Hero
There is very little AT that the average serviceman does not have to pay for, albeit with some subs. The mob doesn't pay for the upkeep of polo horses. 8O

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
fleetchief said:
TBH the less the armed forces carp on about AT at the current time , the better. folks on the outside are losing jobs and houses. how does it look to hear ET(M) Stokes is recovering in hospital for 6 months after losing out to a douglas fir?

Or LT (AWW) Princess tippy toes falling off her pony as a member of th RN showjumping team?

Yes I'm surprised that redundant civilians aren't clamouring for Servicemen/women to be on tour continually.
Think of all the money that could be saved on transporting troops to and from war zones. :roll:
What about all the redundant punters battering down the doors of AFCOs at the moment I'm sure they won't be complaining about AT.
The main purpose of AT is not for a swan around it is to build confidence, team work and all round fitness. Not to mention bolstering morale amongst Troops who may have just come back from a very different type of 'adventurous' activity.
I don't think I've ever seen such a pathetic post on this subject as yours.
Grip yourself!

A

angrydoc

I feel the undertones of the article were "we have no money but the lads go skiing at subsidised rates". I am glad that the comments all contradict this and support AT.
I agree it is probably not best to shout about it, but one could argue that if people are going to be recurrently deployed during their harmony time then letting them do some AT is probably a good idea.

brigham600

War Hero
fleetchief said:

So you do not advocate any form of 'downtime' for our busy people then? Or were you just a typical fat twat who sat in the Mess all day moaning about people getting time off for sport, which meant you had to work even harder all day supping cans.

labrum

War Hero
NZ_Bootneck said:
Tree 'stops' hurt.
Tree 'stops' with mahoosive bergans on hurt more.
Skiing can be fun as long as the apres ski offers more than a snow hole or construction of a pussers ski village ala tent and cam and single tracks etc etc and no Clubs/alcohol! :D
MSIs are generally nice blokes with unfortunate ML aspirations. :twisted:
Just had a flash back, mummy mummy the tree hurt me! (Never impressive demonstrating a tree stop as an MSI whislt wearing safety bergan taking a class of novices) 8)

Snows cold.
Water underneath ice is cold.
3 year old little norgie bastards can ski better than me.
Beer is ridiculously expensive.
It's absolutely pointless playing "grab a gronk"
Fish heads fight like girls.
Metal goes all "spongy" when really cold, and you ignore warnings about touching it.
Your turn on "candle watch" seems to come around every ten minutes, your oppos every eleven. 8)
LOA is great.

That's a few things I learnt from skiing in the Corps.

labrum

War Hero
wet_blobby said:
Snows cold.
Metal goes all "spongy" when really cold, and you ignore warnings about touching it.
Your turn on "candle watch" seems to come around every ten minutes, your oppos every eleven. 8)
LOA is great.

Reads like a creed that...

bikerman

War Hero
wet_blobby said:
Snows cold.
LOA is great.

Agree with the first five statements, next three wtf and the last I got more LOA in Belgium than Norway which I never understood :?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC Mag: "Falklands and Afghanistan - 2 very different wars" Current Affairs 1
A BBC Luvvies Diamond Lil's 28
MoD_RSS Government announces preferred candidate for BBC chair MoD News 0
E What's happened to the BBC? Diamond Lil's 8
MoD_RSS Letters from the Culture Secretary to the BBC and S4C on the 2022 Licence Fee Settlement MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 25
MoD_RSS BBC and Government's joint statement on delaying the TV licence fee for over 75s MoD News 0
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil YT: "Bugatti Veyron vs Euro Fighter - Top Gear - BBC" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Why The RAF's New F-35 Jets Matter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Radio 4: "The Briefing Room - Why Are The British Armed Forces Short Of Personnel?" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
Passed-over_Loggie BBC; RAF at 100 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
D BBC pay levels Current Affairs 9
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
Wightsparker Outrageous BBC foul-up Diamond Lil's 9
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
HMR&C BBC iPlayer Diamond Lil's 24
soleil BBC: "Duchess Of Cornwall To Officially Open New Armed Forces Medical Training Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC 1: 'Marine A - Criminal Or Casualty Of War' - 22:25 - Wednesday, April 9th 2014 MoD News 20
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil BBC: "Review Into Criminal Offending By Armed Forces Veterans" Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC: "World War 2 Uneaten Christmas Cake Mystery Solved" Submariners 0