BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by yandex, Sep 5, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My granddaughter voted Remain in the Brexit vote She holds an important position with Agricultural Merchants who derive vast sums from the EU so it's understandable. She was the only member of our extended family to vote this way.
    She has been pestered by BBC to further their anti-Brexit cause and has been wined and dined by them.
    It came to an end when the majority of the British people voted to leave. But they have started again.
    The BBC does so well from EU subsidies that they are reluctant to give up. They have been on to my Grand Daughter again and have paid for a Mini - specially painted in red white and blue --British don't you know-but Italian actually-- to drive her and fellow anti-Brexiteers to the studio for yet another anti-Brexit waste of moneymy grand daughter loves it.
    When she phoned my wife they were discussing whether she should have oysters with her fillet steak or mussels.
    BBC are paying.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  2. I rather think that it's the licence payers who are paying. You might ask her if she could also raise the issue of climate-change with the BBC, and that she would like to link this with Brexit. They will leap at the chance - until she mentions that she thinks that the climate-change issue is all a big con. Then see what they do......

3. So she must be over 18, yet your profile indicates "yandex Midshipman, 38".

:confused:...ermmm ???

Puzzled of Portsmiff

4. Climate change--a big con?
    Go and wash your mouth out. My next door neighbour's son was employed (sic) as a £100,000 p.a. People Person with that-thankfully, short-lived Lib Dem nonsense Ministry. Mrs May gave it short shrift and the float test

5. She is over 18 and on this evening.--I think. She is worth looking at. So far as my age is concerned-- None of your businss you Besom.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  6. The Sun or the Daily Express would pay good money for a story like the OP describes.

7. Whoops - Sorrrrry, Grandma!

[Just curious as those numbers looked somewhat askew but being an old-school MCP I had quite forgotten how those of a certain age react to such an insensitive and impertinent inquiry.]

Kindest Regards from Grandad Bob Aged 13¾

• Like Like x 1

8. We have BBC South here. But if you would like to share a glass on the Isle of Wight, you would be welcome.

9. You seem like the sort of chap enjoying a glass or two with would be like old times. Isle of Wight too. I seem to remember visiting some RN base there--- just as it was closing.

10. Think nothing of it.

11. German surely?

12. You are right. I was referring to its concept and design--Italian influenced.

13. Pedantry mode on.

The concept and design of the BMW Mini was famously carried out by Frank Stephenson. A Norwegian - American. The influence was the previous mini which itself was designed as an alternative to small, German BMW and Heinkel cars.

Nothing Italian about either of them.

14. And Sir Alec Issigonis, who is British/Greek. Again, nothing Italian about him.

15. More importantly has Mrs Monty dropped yet?

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. The first successful transverse-engine cars were the two-cylinder DKW "Front" series of cars, which first appeared in 1931After the Second World War, SAAB used the configuration in their first model, the Saab 92, in 1947.[3] The arrangement was also used for Borgward's Goliath and Hansa brand cars and in a few other German cars. However, it was with Alec Issigonis's Mini, introduced by the British Motor Corporation in 1959, that the design gained acclaim. Issigonis incorporated the car's gearbox into the engine's sump, producing a drivetrain unit narrow enough to install transversely in a car only four feet (1.2 metres) wide. While previous DKW and Saab cars used small two-stroke air-cooled engines with poor refinement and performance the gearbox-in-sump arrangement meant that an 848cc four-cylinder water-cooled engine could be fitted to the Mini, providing strong performance for a car of its size. Coupled to the much greater interior space afforded by the layout (the entire drivetrain only took up 20 per cent of the car's length) this made the Mini a genuine alternative to the conventional small family car.

This design reached its ultimate extent starting with Dante Giacosa's elaboration of it for Fiat. He connected the engine to its gearbox by a shaft and set the differential off-center so that it could be connected to the gearbox more easily. The axleshafts from the differential to the wheels therefore differed in length, which would have made the car's steering asymmetrical were it not for their torsional stiffness being made the same. Giacosa's lay-out was first used in the Autobianchi Primula in 1964 and later in the wide-selling Fiat 128. With the gearbox mounted separately to the engine these cars were by neccesity larger than the Mini but this proved to be no disadvantage. The Giacosa lay-out also provided superior refinement, easier repair and was better-suited to adopting five-speed transmissions than the original Issigonis in-sump design. Now most small and small/medium-sized cars built throughout the world use this arrangement.

17. Quite often confused with those cans of Arrigonis from Italy
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Which are often confused with a certain tribe of Native Americans private parts.

19. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

'Tonto Pavarotti, pleased to meet you' - you know that's one of my favourite jokes :D