Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC: "Liam Fox Quits As Defence Secretary"

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Fox had the arrogance to suggest the military chiefs were wrong to raise concerns regarding defence cuts, suggesting he knew better.

Some would hope he loses more than his ministerial post for compromising the UK's military security on many levels.

Seadog

War Hero
that other NITWIT Letwin too what the hell is he doing throwing official secret documents in public litterbins

As Jimbo says, it appears there was nothing Secret about what Letwin was stuffing in the park bins. Question whether the letters were even worthy of shredding. Private yes, secret no. They may have well ended up in another bin quite legitimately.

But yes, what a dick.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

Yes, not "secret" - but official and I think that the Information Commissioner might want to have an impolite word with him.

Officials are meant to dispose of papers with names and addresses securely so that they cannot be used misused by third-parties.

BUT, of course, such rules are not meant for the "gods" only for ordinary people.

chieftiff

War Hero
There's an enlightening article in todays Independent Online that explains just why Fox really had to go, forget all the moral points and notes on his poor decision making, it seems the darling of the far right simply left his backers (who prefer to remain hidden in the murky background of political lobbying) exposed, the press were following the money and began to get far too interested in the details. Don't you just love the way we've allowed our modern 'democracy' to be 'privatised'.

How Britain works: follow the money - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

w.anchor

War Hero
A good buzz from the Observer today: "Fox actually wrote his resignation letter a week ago,but made the mistake of giving it to Oliver Letwin to hand to the prime minister.":slow:

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
Hopefully he'll soon go flying with the Fleet Air Arm... Hammond High.

or maybe he'll visit the lads of 45 Cdo, X-Ray Coy perhaps... Hammond X

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hopefully he'll soon go flying with the Fleet Air Arm... Hammond High.

or maybe he'll visit the lads of 45 Cdo, X-Ray Coy perhaps... Hammond X

Let's hope he doesn't make any silly mistakes, like his predecessor... "Hammond (in a) pickle".

broadside

War Hero
I just find it increasingly depressing that so called intelligent people can consistently make such stupid mistakes in public office when (presumably) they are literally surrounded by "official" experienced advisers.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
What I want from my Government's leaders is sound judgment, not naivety. It's bad enough having all these infantile Liberals clegging up the works.

jaybee48

Lantern Swinger
Wether Liam Fox is, or was guilty of anything apart from poor judgement is now academic; the thing we need to be wary of is the incoming SoS, Philip Hammond and his almost total compliance to the party line, rightly or wrongly. He has presided over the HS2 fiasco since becoming Transport secretary, following the diktat from Millbank dweebs that HS2 should go ahead despite bucketloads of independent evidence that the project is flawed in concept and doomed to failure.
If he takes the same stance with MOD funding cuts in his new job, we'll have a battle royal to keep a few rowing boats in commission, never mind a coherent fighting force.
JB.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
No, no, no, no, no; Yes

I just find it increasingly depressing that so called intelligent people can consistently make such stupid mistakes in public office when (presumably) they are literally surrounded by "official" experienced advisers.

Ah, well its all just part of the Big Society....we can now get people to volunteer to attend International meetings at thier own expense. You see the PM is wanting all of us to take a greater share in our civil life, the idea of the odd street warden or charity social worker has grown to all parts of the new government.

Dr Fox managed to find a chap that would save paying a civil servant, and all the related expenses. Yet the SoS still had a sizable enterage et al as he traveled round the world.

I have no idea what all the fuss is about..........
:toothy2:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apparantly its nothing to do with Fox, its all the Journo's fault, if they hadn't published what was going on he wouldn't have been doing anything wrong!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Recently released NoTW surveillance photo:

broadside

War Hero
good! the corrupt scumbag.

I can see why you might approve and I can accept that to many he is probably a scumbag. He also was incredibly stupid and naive and I don't doubt that he has let everyone down by his actions - I am not sure whether I have seen anything that proves (or even strongly suggests) he is corrupt (source please)

BTW, I am not defending him any more than I would defend any person who is accused of wrongdoing in the absence of evidence to prove the wrongdoing (except Blair or course - I am quite happy for any accusations to be thrown willy nilly in his direction with or without substantiation!)

scouse

War Hero
Ministry of Defence Official said: "I can confirm that in accordance with the Ministerial and other Pensions and Salaries Act 1991, Dr Fox is entitled to a severance payment of £17,207, equivalent to one quarter of his annual ministerial salary and which is payable on 30 November 2011."

While Fox 'resigned' as a Minister, he continues to sit on the Conservative backbenches as Member of Parliament for North Somerset, with an annual salary of £65,738.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "HMS Raleigh Closure Not An Option Says Dr Liam Fox" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil BBC: Liam Fox Unveils Plans For 'Leaner' Ministry Of Defence Current Affairs 17
soleil BBC: "Military Cross For Royal Navy Medic Liam O'Grady" The Fleet 9
MoD_RSS Letters from the Culture Secretary to the BBC and S4C on the 2022 Licence Fee Settlement MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 25
MoD_RSS BBC and Government's joint statement on delaying the TV licence fee for over 75s MoD News 0
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil YT: "Bugatti Veyron vs Euro Fighter - Top Gear - BBC" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Why The RAF's New F-35 Jets Matter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Radio 4: "The Briefing Room - Why Are The British Armed Forces Short Of Personnel?" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
Passed-over_Loggie BBC; RAF at 100 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
D BBC pay levels Current Affairs 9
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
Wightsparker Outrageous BBC foul-up Diamond Lil's 9
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
HMR&C BBC iPlayer Diamond Lil's 24
soleil BBC: "Duchess Of Cornwall To Officially Open New Armed Forces Medical Training Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC 1: 'Marine A - Criminal Or Casualty Of War' - 22:25 - Wednesday, April 9th 2014 MoD News 20
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil BBC: "Review Into Criminal Offending By Armed Forces Veterans" Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC: "World War 2 Uneaten Christmas Cake Mystery Solved" Submariners 0
soleil BBC Radio 4 - Open Country - Royal Haslar Hospital Bases / Shore Est 0