BBC: "Last Royal Marines Leave Afghanistan"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Apr 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK for Royal ... but we still have Naval Personal in the theatre.

2. Good news and never to return I hope.

3. Except that the article's wrong, and they're not the last to leave.

4. Nor the first 'Royal Marine unit' to serve there.

Rover

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

finknottle wrote
    While it is also nerve racking for those at safe at home with kin in harm's way, the experience of combat operations must surely serve the individual marines and The Corps well ( for all there is no amphibious element).

On a strategic level, I'm not convinced that NATO involvement in Afghanistan was the right thing to do.

6. Yes they were Bravo and Charley Companies to be precise I know cos I was there with Bravo, 2 PARA took over from us when we left

7. I concur turned left to Diego Garcia rather than right to Red Break!! (although I would spell it Charlie!)
    If they are not the last UNIT to leave who are, out of interest?
    IMD

8. CHF for one.

9. I am open to correction but whilst CHF contains RM personnel and supports the Bde it is not a Royal Marines unit. C2 may have changed but is it not a FAA unit under command JHC?

IMD

10. If you're splitting hairs. I'd call it a commando unit though. And the thread title said ' last Royal Marines'.

11. Prior to the arrival of any RM Commando or Army for that matter the ground had been secured by others.

Nothing secret about it, even reported in the UK media.
    Special Boat Service, Royal Marines.

As regards 'last to leave'!

Rover

• Like Like x 1
  12. They certainly were!

13. A slightly different point, is there any possibility as rumoured of the RM's leaving the RN & returning to the Army as a combined unit with the Para's?

It seems there are all kinds of scenarios in the melting pot for consideration post 2020/Afghanistan.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  14. That rumour been going round for years same as Commando pay.

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Why would the Army want to pay for another fighting brigade when they get the use of 3 Cdo brigade and the Navy picks up the tab?

I would imagine the SBS will be the first and last RM unit in Afganistan.

16. SBS are not a RM unit anymore they have their own badge, collar dogs and belt so while you could argue they may have been the first RM unit they wont be the last

17. So if as you claim the SBS are no longer an RM unit , who or what are they then?

Rover

18. They are a UKSF unit; Full Command to the Fleet Commander, everything else done by DSF.