BBC: "HMS Endurance: Former Ice Patrol Ship To Be Scrapped"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Oct 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The Royal Navy's former ice patrol ship HMS Endurance - damaged when its engine control room flooded off the Chilean coast in 2008 - is to be scrapped.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the Portsmouth-based ship, which was replaced by HMS Protector in 2011, would go out of service in 2015.

A MoD spokesman said the "damage sustained" by the ship off Chile meant repairs were not "economically viable"."

BBC News - HMS Endurance: Former ice patrol ship to be scrapped

Attached Files:

2. Hmmmmm. ENDURANCE to be scrapped, de Kirchner having a real brain fart............ deja vu anyone?
  3. What on earth is the "go out of service in 2015" nonsense? She's been out of service since the flood! Has anyone seen the state of her?
  4. Sailed out past her on the ferry to France a couple of weeks ago. Was lucky to make it back, ships company did a great job that day.
  5. Is anyone remotely surprised by this? Agree the out of service date is a bit of fancy footwork - although God knows to what end - presumably so that she decommissions after the election.... To all intents and purposes she's been gone a long time already.

Awful ship - worst bit of my (brief) career.*

*Don't get me wrong, Antarctica was good, and people chew their right arm off/pay a fortune to get down there - it was the ship itself, and the atmosphere.....
  6. Love it. It's like HMS Protector doesn't exist....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. An unhappy Ship k_s?
  8. Understatement of the century - Levers_Aligned is another old boy (from a year or two after me) and I think would concur.

Not only was it even more of a love boat than Invincible, but it was crossing messes (Wardroom:JR; SR:JR; Wardroom:SR, etc) to an extent I never saw anywhere else. A frightening number of two ringers had their notice in. Both the YOs at the time ended up going outside. The senior rates in the ME and Survey depts were run ragged.

There were about 50% too many people and 100% too much kit for what she had been designed for, and yet some departments were lean to the point of madness - leading to a schizophrenic ship's company where a minority were digging out blind and others were bored senseless. At the same time we had the total headf**k of being one of the then few ships in the fleet with a permanent RM det, whilst at the same time looking and operating like a halfheartedly converted cruise ship - carpets in all the passageways, a lift, glass bulkheads (actually let's put "bulkheads" in inverted commas there). Totally non-standard equipment fit making it a pain in the a*se to get anything fixed/exchanged.

Flat bottom (fun in the Southern Ocean), single screw (ditto) - take way off and she yawed like a bitch..... No air conditioning (perfect for the twice a year she was operating in the tropics) but ludicrously over enthusiastic heating. JR's accom was basically uninhabitable due to the heat - not a good way to treat people - anywhere other than alongside in Pompey or south of the Falklands.

She was probably great for what she was designed for - leaving a Norgie port and bumming around in the Arctic for a few weeks each summer. What she wasn't anywhere close to suited for was an annual circumnavigation of the globe or any halfway military operations. At the moment, Protector (albeit no hangar) actually looks like a much better vessel for what we need. I'm sure that will change over the next few years as scope/mission creep takes its toll.
  9. Not a pretty picture.Then when the arse did fall out of it, as I recall, it was all attended with deplorable publicity via the BBC.

10. Yeh, yeh, but I wouldn't have been able to make that post if I'd said PROTECTOR!
  11. Best deployment I've ever done.
  12. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I do concur with Kinross. I took the job as a pay-off rather than get a 23 in Guzz or a placky sweeper (which would have put me in Scotland).

From the moment I joined - even before that - it was very apparent things were different, and very wrong. I won't go into detail (because I have elsewhere, and most of my account is documented in an eleven page unofficial report passed to the incoming engineering staff of Protector) but Kinross's comments are bang on the nose. Some were ambivalent straphangers on there; some were ****ing heroes.

As the past was being largely ignored (she emerged from a frankly disasterous refit in Falmouth in 2004 in a pretty wretched condition with defects and problems that were to bookmark her next four years) and the future sacrificed for the over ambition of some honestly dickheaded individuals, I put my chit in and left, telling the then Commanding Officer (no names, but simple maths wouldn't be difficult to know who) that his ship was a disaster zone, was doomed and would very possibly be towed back from the 18 month deployment (that they'd sacrificed an RP for) or worse, on the back of a heavy lift ship. He candidly told me (with a small amount of disappointment and menace in his voice) that I was entitled to my opinion and that he didn't share it, and bade me farewell. Can't say I rejoiced at all in December 2008 having been proven right. What did I know? I was only the most senior engineering rating on there.

I do however stand by my comments elsewhere on Rum Ration regarding other people's misguided assumptions about the flood and near loss. The appointment was akin to swimming in quicksand, and the myiad of challenges we faced, totally ****ed machinery, obsolescence, unsupporatbility, crew apathy, straphangers and tourists (with no function whatsoever), IPT stupidity or gobsmacking proportions, crew expansion (with no uplift in supportability), loose rudder, striking Argentine dockyard workers, three dockings, machinery space floods (with a 'I think we need to talk about salvage pumps in case this happens again' from me to the IPT) and a whole host of other legendary, but unheard-of instances are the story of the final months of that ship. My relief had only just hit his stride when it all happened, and we both share the same very reasoned and rational opinions about who was to blame and what led to Endurance's demise.

We were both there and saw it coming, but people just didn't listen. Similarly, no one bothered much to ask me about the precursors. Endurance's scrapping comes as no surprise. The Navy didn't look after her in service, and will make sure her exit is just as much bathed in ignomy.

13. I don't understand how it could be that disastrous. The EO during that refit got an MBE for seeing it through a "very successful refit". (Wish I could use a sarcastic smiley on my IPad).

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Levers_Aligned

Precisely. And certain others received mentions in dispatches for their efforts, although they were all gone by the time the true reality of the situation was apparent.

Top to bottom, the ship was a complete tip. It suffered from lack of real need to get to the bottom of the problem, save for one or two (one of which introduced me to this very website and remains a very good friend - don't forget, I joined here right in the middle of my appointment) the ship would have been trashed much sooner.

15. Any chance of an ex-ME chief going on board for a souvenir or two before it goes? I want to recover the refrigeration plant relief valve that I bought!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Safeguard? I must have missed that gem at the time...
  17. He was my MEO on a 42 a couple of years later when it came through.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  18. Levers_Aligned

I put that very 42 to bed. Last clanky off the gangway.

That ship was a bag of shit as well.