BBC: "Henry Allingham Sculpture Installed At Fleet Air Arm Museum"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Nov 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HenryAllingham.jpg

"A bronze sculpture of one of Britain's last World War One veterans has been installed at Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton, Somerset.

Henry Allingham, who died aged 113 in July 2009, served with the Royal Naval Air Service, later transferring to the Royal Air Force when it was created."

BBC News - Henry Allingham sculpture installed at Fleet Air Arm Museum
  2. Another photo

Attached Files:

3. I've heard he had his fingers crossed when he got transferred :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not too complimentary is it?
  5. I was thinking the same A_G, it reminds me of something out of Middle Earth.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I thought it looked like one of the old guys on the Muppets. Or Finks on a good day.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1385592065.152899.jpg

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
    • Like Like x 2
  8. As maybe, but it is an artist's interpretation, and certainly doesn't warrant any disrespect to the person it represents.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There's no disrespect to the person H, I just think it's an awful sculpture and doesn't do Henry any justice at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I thought Young Mr Grace in "Are you being served"
    Nice tribute though.
  11. Well I think it captures the old boy extremely well as he looked up from his wheelchair at the Cenotaph for the last time.
  12. I agree with Finknottle. I also recall that on his 111th birthday, in the arena alongside HMS Victory, Henry watched from his wheelchair as the Royal Marines Band played "Happy Birthday". As they completed their performance, they marched off to "A Life on the Ocean Wave". Henry struggled unaided to his feet, stood to attention and saluted - RN fashion, and not RAF, I noted. I'm not ashamed to say that there were tears in my eyes.
    • Like Like x 2