BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back"

soleil

War Hero
"Campaigners have called on the government to compensate more than 150 people who claim they were thrown out of the armed forces because of their sexuality.

Gay people were not allowed to serve in the military until a rule change in 2000.

Now, prominent LGBT+ campaigner Peter Tatchell told The Independent that thousands of people could have been sacked for their sexuality, and the MOD should contact them all to offer compensation.

He said: 'The MoD should be contacting all those people to advise them that they are eligible for compensation."

slim

War Hero
In all honesty why should homosexuals get any compensation for a time when homosexuality was subject to a ban by the law of the land?
They ALL were aware of this law but took it upon themselves to break it.
I do believe that any medals earned during ther service were earned and should be retained.
However to compensate those who knowingly broke the laws of the day is in my opinion immoral

Seadog

War Hero
Surely one can be attracted to members of the same sex physically and /or romantically and yet never have a homosexual sexual experience.

I sense that in the prohibition years, the Navy got that and more often than not, didn’t make a fuss.

Sumo

War Hero
The MV Myrmidon the article says he was on didn't get to the Falklands until after the ceasefire, according to the t'interweb, so he probably wasn't entitled to a SAM. The NI bit is another matter.
I got My SAM 30 yrs after, negative rosette, arrive South after cease fire.

kefomumi

Surely one can be attracted to members of the same sex physically and /or romantically and yet never have a homosexual sexual experience.

I sense that in the prohibition years, the Navy got that and more often than not, didn’t make a fuss.
certainly.

soleil

War Hero
"A Falklands veteran who was "forced out" of the Royal Navy over his sexuality has had his military medal returned 27 years on.

Joe Ousalice, who is bisexual, was re-awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct medal and three Good Conduct badges in a ceremony at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth.

"It's taken me 27 years to get this medal back, it's just a medal but it means so much to me," Mr Ousalice told Forces News.

The medal was presented to Mr Ousalice by Defence Secretary Ben Wallace."

slim

War Hero
Well he deserves the medal back.
However the LGBGTQ people are ranting on about sueing the MOD for compensation for those discharges because they were homosexual.
Biggest load of bollocks going. The law at that time banned homosexuals from serving so if they were caught and found out they were discharged.
I have no problem with that, it was the law at the time!
I do have a problem with those of that persuasion sueing the MOD despite the fact that they knew they should not be serving.
Perhaps the MOD should sue those attempting to claim compensation for telling lies on their application forms

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Well he deserves the medal back.
However the LGBGTQ people are ranting on about sueing the MOD for compensation for those discharges because they were homosexual.
Biggest load of bollocks going. The law at that time banned homosexuals from serving so if they were caught and found out they were discharged.
I have no problem with that, it was the law at the time!
I do have a problem with those of that persuasion sueing the MOD despite the fact that they knew they should not be serving.
Perhaps the MOD should sue those attempting to claim compensation for telling lies on their application forms
Completely agree with all of your sentiment in this post Slim - nothing more to add other than it would be a travesty of justice if a claim to the MOD were even allowed. Surely lawyers would not be stupid enough to even take the case on..Hewships?

huwshpis

War Hero
In my view, any claim would be barred by the Limitation Act, it’s well over 6 years since the ECHR ruled on homosexuality in the Armed Forces.

Sumo

War Hero
In my view, any claim would be barred by the Limitation Act, it’s well over 6 years since the ECHR ruled on homosexuality in the Armed Forces.
Won't stop some in your profession having a go, if funding is available?

huwshpis

War Hero
Funders (Legal Aid or private) will want an opinion on likelihood of success and you just can't be positive about the limitation issue.