Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC: BAE wins £127m contract to design Navy warship

broadside

War Hero
broadside said:
lonestar said:
The new "combat ship" will eventually replace frigates like HMS Boxer

Pretty sure she has been gone for some time :?

I sincerely hope so since IIRC she was used as a target some time in 2004!

Which does rather call into question whether the BBC believes that the new "combat ship" is intended to be built for specific use as a target :wink:

If you could guarantee one class of ship will definitely be built I'd be very happy 8O

Still, looking at those artist impressions, and without going into all sorts of mitigating SOP stuff on an open forum, you'd have to want 3 phalanx surely, otherwise the aft one's got a hell of a blind arc....

lonestar

War Hero
P2000 said:
Also, "intended to replace the Type 22 and Type 23". Does this mean we're only getting one class of ship to replace both?

Would seem likely and logical, I hate to link to a Wikipedia article but this page on the Future Surface Combatant provides some interesting suggestions for potential developments.

There is mention of a "C2 vessel", indeed quite a few of them, in that article. Smaller than a Frigate but not as small as our current Offshore Patrol Vessels... is a totally new class of ship seemingly in addition to what we have now really likely in the medium term future?

smeeg

Lantern Swinger
Mod seems to be sneaking in the extra A's. personally i thought we'd be lucky to get 4..

smeeg

Lantern Swinger
Mod seems to be sneaking in the extra A's. personally i thought we'd be lucky to get 4..

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
I wouldn't get too excited chaps. Anything signed for now is fairly academic until after the next election.

If I were a cynic, I'd suggest that this is Labour attempting to position itself nicely prior to the election so that it can rebut any claims of Defence underfunding or lack of support for jobs. Note the current contracts for T26 (and the new GD FRES variant to replace CVR(T) last week) are for assessment and preliminary design work only.

This commits them to little. However, if the Conservatives get in and cancel it, Labour can claim it's the Tories who're soft on Defence and not supporting UK industry.

Regards,
MM

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
There is reason to celebrate this - the FSC project has been trying to get past Initial Gate and into Assessment Phase for over 10 years, (three attempts taht I can think of) so actually signing a contract and getting that level of money is well worth drinking to. It's also inextricably linked to the BAE Surface Ships TOBA as well (ie if MoD didn't fund it, they'd have to cough for the hundreds that BAE would make redundant) so makes sense(ish).

For P2000 & Lone Star, the plan such as it is is to replace the T23s that have Sonar 2087 with the C1 "Combat ship", while the other T23s and T22 would be replaced by a C2 (more general purpose frigate), still of comparable size. The Tupperwares, OPVs and droggies would be replaced by a "common hull" C3 ship with variable mission packages - apparently.......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "BAE Systems to cut up to 230 jobs at Barrow" Submariners 2
MoD_RSS Letters from the Culture Secretary to the BBC and S4C on the 2022 Licence Fee Settlement MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 25
MoD_RSS BBC and Government's joint statement on delaying the TV licence fee for over 75s MoD News 0
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil YT: "Bugatti Veyron vs Euro Fighter - Top Gear - BBC" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Why The RAF's New F-35 Jets Matter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Radio 4: "The Briefing Room - Why Are The British Armed Forces Short Of Personnel?" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
Passed-over_Loggie BBC; RAF at 100 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
D BBC pay levels Current Affairs 9
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
Wightsparker Outrageous BBC foul-up Diamond Lil's 9
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
HMR&C BBC iPlayer Diamond Lil's 24
soleil BBC: "Duchess Of Cornwall To Officially Open New Armed Forces Medical Training Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC 1: 'Marine A - Criminal Or Casualty Of War' - 22:25 - Wednesday, April 9th 2014 MoD News 20
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil BBC: "Review Into Criminal Offending By Armed Forces Veterans" Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC: "World War 2 Uneaten Christmas Cake Mystery Solved" Submariners 0
soleil BBC Radio 4 - Open Country - Royal Haslar Hospital Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil BBC: Football Focus With The Troops In Afghanistan - Saturday, 21st December 2013 Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil BBC Magazine: "Life On A British Cold War Submarine" Submariners 4