BBC 1: 'Marine A - Criminal Or Casualty Of War' - 22:25 - Wednesday, April 9th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

soleil

War Hero
Marine__A___Criminal_or_Casualty_of_War_.jpg

"The case of Alexander Blackman, the former Royal Marine sergeant convicted for shooting an injured Afghan insurgent on the frontline. As the first British serviceman to be found guilty of murder during combat since the Second World War launches an appeal, film-maker Chris Terrill asks questions about the ethics of combat and rules of engagement during war, and talks to Blackman's wife Claire. He also speaks to those who condemn his actions, and others who condone them."

Marine `A': Criminal or Casualty of War? | Radio Times

BBC One - Marine 'A': Criminal or Casualty of War?

BBC News - Convicted marine Al Blackman's wife speaks of appeal hopes

BBC - Media Centre - BBC One documentary examines case of Marine 'A' - Criminal Or Casualty Of War?

Wife of Sergeant Alexander Blackman - the marine jailed for battlefield execution - wants civilian retrial - Crime - UK - The Independent

Last edited:

wrecker2

Banned
I have a little sympathy with the RM in some respects, but what an UTTER PILLOCK for allowing it to be filmed.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Seadog

War Hero
Blackman's case may be considered subjudice again and therefore not the stuff of open forum. It will - as demonstrated by two of the posts so far - attract ill informed, divisive, ranty and bone posts that could damage Blackman, the Corps and the wider Naval Service. Lazy journalists may well drop by for a free quote.

That said, I'm not going to lock, delete or cull it yet, I'd rather the more excitable members - often the least informed - of Rum Ration just STFU until the appeal has run its course. If another Mod decides that's not enough, I'm good with that too.

wrecker2

Banned
Speaking the truth will not hurt the case of the RM in question be it under judicial consideration or not.

wrecker2

Banned
One other thing for you to consider Seadog is the following:-
A dead terrorist can't ...
A. Kill anymore soldiers of any nationality ...
B. Grow anymore plants to manufacture drugs ...
C. Shoot anymore schoolgirls in the head for wanting an education.

The list of reasons are endless.

danny

War Hero
He obviously has a right to appeal like everyone else. But justice has run its course and to me it looks unlikely anything is going to change the sentence.
At the end of the day he was on camera shooting someone on the floor and then making a remark afterwords admitting that he knew he had broken the law. He needs to call OJ Simpsons lawyer to have a hope in hell.

broadside

War Hero
He wouldn't be banging in for an appeal if his legal team didn't think there was a chance of it being successful (at least in part).

I will make no comment on the rights or wrongs of his actions (and whether there was any moral or other mitigation) the case will stand or fall on legal argument and it is not helpful to fuel media debate on this forum

bacon28

Badgeman
well if your only going to allow pro- and cull anything else it should be locked and binned.

and is everyone carrying a gun in afghanistan taliban or does the fact the country is a lawless turd hole have anything to do with it ?and these men were of course once known as mujahadeen! and what happened to our friends the Northern Alliance?

and is it wrong that many Afghans just do not not want foreigners there? wibble

Last edited:
G

guestm

Major General Ed Davis kindly requests that people stop posting arse on this subject. Although he didn't say those exact words (well, not outside his office), that's what he meant.

So stop it.

Guzzler

War Hero
Not intending perpetuating the debate as I fully agree with MLP's comment.

Just to say that the programme was, in my opinion: thought provoking, intelligent, balanced, disturbing, sad, compelling and one of the best (for want of a better word) pieces of television documentary I have seen for a very long time.

Might start paying my licence if it carries on like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "Missing Arbroath Marine Ralph Hebden Sparks Air And Sea Search" The Corps 16
soleil BBC: "Marine Death In Afghanistan 'Of Natural Causes'" The Corps 0
soleil BBC: "Royal Marine "Captures The Spirit" In Calendar" The Corps 1
soleil BBC News: "Award For Triple Amputee Former Marine From Plymouth" The Corps 4
soleil BBC: "Ex-Royal Marine's Military Cross Sold For £3,200" The Corps 0
soleil BBC: "Blast-hit Marine praises Jackal" The Corps 2
soleil BBC reporting death of a Royal Marine in Selly Oak Hospital Current Affairs 13
soleil BBC name Royal Marine killed in Afghanistan The Corps 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor The Fleet 24
MoD_RSS BBC and Government's joint statement on delaying the TV licence fee for over 75s MoD News 0
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil YT: "Bugatti Veyron vs Euro Fighter - Top Gear - BBC" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: BBC News - A Special Mission For RAF Fylingdales Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inside the Foreign Office: BBC series 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "Why The RAF's New F-35 Jets Matter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Radio 4: "The Briefing Room - Why Are The British Armed Forces Short Of Personnel?" Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC News: "Life In Faslane: 50 Years Of Nuclear Submarines On The Clyde" Submariners 2
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
Passed-over_Loggie BBC; RAF at 100 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
D BBC pay levels Current Affairs 9
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
Wightsparker Outrageous BBC foul-up Diamond Lil's 9
Y BBC Luvvy Bad Losers Brexit disclaimers The Gash Barge 43
S BBC Documentary - Rescue 193 The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army regiment supports BBC's DIY SOS team to transform homes for veterans MoD News 10
HMR&C BBC iPlayer Diamond Lil's 24
soleil BBC: "Duchess Of Cornwall To Officially Open New Armed Forces Medical Training Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
sgtpepperband BBC News: "George Osborne orders new icebreaker for UK polar science" The Fleet 14
soleil BBC: "MPs 'Concerned' Over Defence Cuts" MoD News 19
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
exJenny BBC News: quick bite and a pint Current Affairs 4
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil BBC: "Review Into Criminal Offending By Armed Forces Veterans" Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC: "World War 2 Uneaten Christmas Cake Mystery Solved" Submariners 0