BBC: "£14bn St Athan Defence Academy Plan Axed"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "However, it is hoped that some form of future defence training will be based at the south Wales site in the future"

BRNC to South Wales then....

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Goodbye (I hope to the totally fatuous argument by analogy that because X does 'engineering' and Y does 'engineering' they must need to learn exactly the same things. Appealed to the shallow civilian mind I suppose.

3. This is the only good thing to come out of the review.

4. Thank Christ for that, I was dreading to have to move to Wales.

5. The only people that wanted to move the training to St Athan were the politicians as a job creation scheme.It was a PFI scheme too far which has already cost the public purse megabucks.I suspect the only ones sad to hear of it's demise are all the acountants and advisors who fiddled the figures to make it look a viable option in the first place.

6. At least "Private Eye" can stop bitching about it in the back pages now!

7. does that mean my three year loaf (fulfilling draft as a DO) at SULTAN is back on now.

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Gosport and Fareham will be breathing a sigh of relief. 'Joint' is all well and good and even has its place in education and training but marine engineering, miles from the nearest ship? And there isn't much synergy going on with humptity dumpity army truck engines and their maintainers and BFO umpteen MW diesels and HV generation and their maintainer/operators.

Looks like I may have not seen the last of SULTAN either. A third footbridge or a tunnel looks more likely now!

Idle speculation.

9. THis is a good thing. Would you want to move your family to one of the most deprived, crime and drug riven areas of the UK?

10. Not moving to Cambridge!!! :D

11. Gosport?

12. apparently the wafu school is moving to cosford