Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battleships King George V, Prince of Wales, Duke of York

NASAAN101

Badgeman
Guys,
Were can i find photos of King George V, Prince of Wales, Duke of York. Im not two sure about her other two sisters: Howe, Anson.. but KGV and POW were both involved in the sinking of Germany biggest battleship Bismarck and heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen... all five ship, were cool Ships..
Nikki

NASAAN101

Badgeman
Trigger_92,
i found a lot on Google. I'm Just look for a good link with colored photos.. but All three ships in there own right had good careers.. It' s just sad they were saved, the only british ships to still be here is HMS belfast..
Nikki

R077

MIA
StixJimboRM said:
Trigger_92 said:
Urmm, coloured photos!?
They are from the ww2 era 8o

Errrrmmmmmm ....

and there are thousands more, they even had colour film in WW2 you know. :roll:

I'm just reading a few WW2 vet's Bebo pages from 1941, fascinating stuff!

I think I'll go have a look a Nelson's facebook page, hasn't been updated in a while :?

NASAAN101

Badgeman
Guys,
What I mean is, Light Cruiser HMS Belfast, who was involved in the sinking of German Battleships Scharnhorst!! It just sad you did keep any of your other surface ships..
Nikki

Stirling

Banned
NASAAN101 said:
Guys,
What I mean is, Light Cruiser HMS Belfast, who was involved in the sinking of German Battleships Scharnhorst!! It just sad you did keep any of your other surface ships..
Nikki

I suggest you read your last post and correct it, any further questions or wrong quotes should be posted in the HISTORY forum already posted.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Sterling_Stirling said:
NASAAN101 said:
Trigger_92,
i found a lot on Google. I'm Just look for a good link with colored photos.. but All three ships in there own right had good careers.. It' s just sad they were saved, the only british ships to still be here is HMS belfast..
Nikki

Eh.......WTF

http://www.hms-victory.com/

HMS Cavalier, HMs/m Alliance, HMS Warrior (not WW2 before you start)

Stirling

Banned
NASAAN101 said:
Guys,
What I mean is, Light Cruiser HMS Belfast, who was involved in the sinking of German Battleships Scharnhorst!! It just sad you did keep any of your other surface ships.. Nikki

READ, READ this bit again.

NASAAN101

Badgeman
Guys,
Look, the US has over 15 of her ships from WW2, and Britain has i believe two, HMS Belfast and one of your Destroyer, i cant remember her name right now, it would have been nice to keep at least one Battleship.. surely you all cant disagree with that right?
Nikki

NASAAN101

Badgeman
TimeToJoinUp,
Thanks for that, what I'm really looking for is a book, on the class. but no one seems to have any!
Nikki

Seadog

War Hero
nobby 0919 exclaimed
Belfast ??????LIGHT CRUISER ?????? WTF .

I think Belfast can reasonably be described as a light cruiser iaw the London Naval Conference armament specs. No matter that all bets were off when the WW2 kicked off.

The RN can't afford its modern fleet (sorry, squadron) let alone museum pieces. Are any of the following really HM Ships / Submarines?
HMS Cavalier, HMs/m Alliance, HMS Warrior
or museums erroneously prefixed HMS?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Seadog said:
nobby 0919 exclaimed
Belfast ??????LIGHT CRUISER ?????? WTF .

I think Belfast can reasonably be described as a light cruiser iaw the London Naval Conference armament specs. No matter that all bets were off when the WW2 kicked off.

The RN can't afford its modern fleet (sorry, squadron) let alone museum pieces. Are any of the following really HM Ships / Submarines?
HMS Cavalier, HMs/m Alliance, HMS Warrior
or museums erroneously prefixed HMS?

Thare's a few pre and post war knocking about (Chatham and Pompey for starters). There's an O boat up North with HMS Plymouth that are advertised as HMS so I assume the MoD are happy with it.

lsadirty

War Hero
IIRC correctly, the difference between light and heavy cruisers was in the size of the gun they carried - although BELFAST came out with a 12600 tonnage, she came out as a light cruiser (4x3 6"), whereas the SAN FRANCISCO class of the USN weighed in at somewhere around 9950 tons (pre-war), they carried 9 x 8", thereby making them heavy cruisers (CA as opposed to CL), like the COUNTY class (4x2 8"). Could be wrong though...........

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil The Sun: "You've Shrunk Our Battleships" The Fleet 62
S Battleships History 21
MoD_RSS King Edward's School, Witley: warning notice MoD News 0
F Taking the King's Shilling The Book Club 0
MoD_RSS Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Albania: Alastair King-Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with King Salman of Saudi Arabia: 8 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS King Scallop Closure MoD News 0
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
MoD_RSS ANL Wyong and King Arthur report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at 10 King Henry’s Road, London, NW3 3RP (ref: 3219239 - 12 March 2020) MoD News 0
soleil KL.FM 96.7: "Navy Boat Visit For King's Lynn" SCC and URNU 3
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Sikorsky S-61N Sea King, damaged beyond economical repair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM meeting with His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan: 7 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with King Hamad of Bahrain: 5 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RWM's Dr Samantha King triumphs at the ENEI Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Remarks by His Majesty King Abdullah II at the Jordan: Growth and Opportunity Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PM bilat with King Abdullah II of Jordan: 28 February 2019 MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - The King's War Competitions 14
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with King Salman of Saudi Arabia: 24 October 2018 MoD News 0
Wightsparker Final final farewell to Sea King? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters - asbestos MoD News 0
Trainer HMS KING ALFRED Recruiting Open Day 9th June 2018. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan: 30 November 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with King Salman of Saudi Arabia: 5 April 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan: 1 March 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Information - The King of Modern War! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Iconic Sea King XZ593 gifted to Falkand Islands Museum and National Trust MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with the King of Bahrain: 26 October 2016 MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp: The Cooler King by Patrick Bishop Competitions 11
MoD_RSS News story: UK Defence Secretary meets King of Jordan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan: June 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PM call with King Salman of Saudi Arabia, 27 March 2015 MoD News 0
T RNR Diving branch (King Alfred) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
digger84 Free Meals for Armed forces and Veterans till 9th August at Greene King Pubs. The Quarterdeck 4
soleil IHS Jane's 360: "Royal Navy Stands Down Sea King Training Unit" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MG Maniac Proof at last that American beer is f**king close to water! Diamond Lil's 26
soleil Scotsman: "Sea King Helicopter In Glencoe Emergency Landing" The Fleet Air Arm 16
soleil Telegraph - Motoring: "Jaguar E-type Versus Sea King Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
Seadog Future King Current Affairs 52
scouse BBC2 - Thurs Feb 28th 2013 - "The Sea King - Britain's Flying Past" The Fleet Air Arm 39
MoD_RSS MOD awards £258 million Sea King helicopter support contract Current Affairs 0
soleil Telegraph: "MoD Awards £258 Million Sea King Contract To Agusta Westland" The Fleet Air Arm 0
DemobJob Sea King Mechanic - Falkland Islands - £35,683 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Sea King Technician req in Falkland Islands - £31k+ The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Sea King squadron home from Helmand Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Navy engineers catch Black Widow spider in Sea King Current Affairs 3
MoD_RSS Sea King returns to duties after 18-month reconstruction Current Affairs 0
soleil Sun: "King Of The Junglies To Fly Again" The Fleet Air Arm 6