Basic Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mark2277, Nov 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking into a career with the royal navy but quite worried about certain aspects of the basic training/ navy life and any useful and true advice would be great.

I am quite a shy and timid kind of guy but very sociable and tend to get on well with most people. I don't think I would piss the training officers off "not much" and am hard working and far from lazy. how much do you get shouted at/ intimidated... I know this is the navy and I know I need to man up before I join but how intimidating is the training?

also I am gay and I have seen all of the "equal opportunities" section of the websites, however I would like some genuine opinions about how gay people are treated. I am not overly camp and annoying so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. Initial Naval Training is not designed to intimidate people. Your personal sexual preferences will not affect your chances of joining or successfully passing training.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You'll be fine . My kids intake had a few gay recruits and it is almost a pre requisite for women to be at least bi. How my daughter got through being straight I'll never know. The one gay guy had no issues as long as you can take a bit of banter and not be sensitive . Daughter said the training staff were excellent and supportive as long as you work hard and give it your all. If you don't then I guess expect to be shouted at . look up training HMS Raleigh on BBC south west there's 9 short films on the training which will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. ok I will have a look now thanks for your replies

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Simple fact is, much the same as general society, there has always been a wide variety of individuals in the Armed forces. Much like civilian society, the Armed Forces finally decided to officially "tolerate" people who are not heterosexual within the last 15 years. On an unofficial level, they were always accepted but much the same as women who had the audacity to fall pregnant, the Service had an Operational Defect (Opdef) that is now fixed.

With regard demeanour, we seek to recruit team players and as long as you can readily integrate within your peer group, you will have no problem. You don't have to be the life and soul of the party to fit in. If you are a bit of a loner, or easily take offence, then put simply, the service isn't for you.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome, Mark.

You will find the Proud2Serve website a really useful resource; have a look and see what you think - (the link reads Naval Service Home Page but clicking on it will take you to Proud2Serve).

Naval Service Home Page

7. PS Consider ringing to express your interest in joining by calling 08456 07 55 55 - lines are open at weekends too. You will then be able to go to an Initial Careers Presentation local to you and meet the RN Careers Advisors.

In the meantime, have a look at the Role Finder to see which job appeals to you most:

Role Finder | Royal Navy

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The RN's equal opportunities policy is a sensible and robust one; some PSOFs might disagree but generally most matelots/matelotesses will judge you on your sense of humour, positive attitude, integrity and professionalism rather than what turns you on or who you choose to sleep with. Provided your not a ginger Man Utd fan, you'll fit in fine (pun intended)... :thumbleft:

9. I know loads of people who are gay/bi in the navy and marines. If you can take banter and laugh at yourself you will be fine. I have found that genuine bullying is stamped on by the group and there is never normally a need for it to go higher.
    Just remember the service lifestyle is very much one of banter. If you feel you can't laugh at yourself then you might find the lifestyle hard. I am skinny and rats I don't let it get to me.
    The most hard done to group of people are gingers, so I would be more worried about being ginger than gay if I was you.

10. Apart from fat people. Fat people should be bullied continuously without remorse

11. It's my glands you t**t! :(

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

12. A/s/l?

13. Over 40/ yes please/ Cambridgeshire

14. aren't you a senior rate? Don't being fat and a SR go hand in hand ;)

Pot kettle colour check over.

15. sgtpepperband

Don't believe a word he tells you, R3..! :shock:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. I haven't got a beard! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. ohh my go this guy is me lol

18. sgtpepperband

What, the fat naked beardy weirdy or the homosexual potential recruit..? :shock:

19. the second one lol

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

what, naked?

• Like Like x 1