Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Training

mark2277

I am looking into a career with the royal navy but quite worried about certain aspects of the basic training/ navy life and any useful and true advice would be great.

I am quite a shy and timid kind of guy but very sociable and tend to get on well with most people. I don't think I would piss the training officers off "not much" and am hard working and far from lazy. how much do you get shouted at/ intimidated... I know this is the navy and I know I need to man up before I join but how intimidating is the training?

also I am gay and I have seen all of the "equal opportunities" section of the websites, however I would like some genuine opinions about how gay people are treated. I am not overly camp and annoying so that shouldn't be an issue.

Initial Naval Training is not designed to intimidate people. Your personal sexual preferences will not affect your chances of joining or successfully passing training.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
You'll be fine . My kids intake had a few gay recruits and it is almost a pre requisite for women to be at least bi. How my daughter got through being straight I'll never know. The one gay guy had no issues as long as you can take a bit of banter and not be sensitive . Daughter said the training staff were excellent and supportive as long as you work hard and give it your all. If you don't then I guess expect to be shouted at . look up training HMS Raleigh on BBC south west there's 9 short films on the training which will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Simple fact is, much the same as general society, there has always been a wide variety of individuals in the Armed forces. Much like civilian society, the Armed Forces finally decided to officially "tolerate" people who are not heterosexual within the last 15 years. On an unofficial level, they were always accepted but much the same as women who had the audacity to fall pregnant, the Service had an Operational Defect (Opdef) that is now fixed.

With regard demeanour, we seek to recruit team players and as long as you can readily integrate within your peer group, you will have no problem. You don't have to be the life and soul of the party to fit in. If you are a bit of a loner, or easily take offence, then put simply, the service isn't for you.

Good luck!

soleil

War Hero
also I am gay and I have seen all of the "equal opportunities" section of the websites, however I would like some genuine opinions about how gay people are treated. I am not overly camp and annoying so that shouldn't be an issue.

Welcome, Mark.

You will find the Proud2Serve website a really useful resource; have a look and see what you think - (the link reads Naval Service Home Page but clicking on it will take you to Proud2Serve).

Naval Service Home Page

soleil

War Hero
PS Consider ringing to express your interest in joining by calling 08456 07 55 55 - lines are open at weekends too. You will then be able to go to an Initial Careers Presentation local to you and meet the RN Careers Advisors.

In the meantime, have a look at the Role Finder to see which job appeals to you most:

Role Finder | Royal Navy

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The RN's equal opportunities policy is a sensible and robust one; some PSOFs might disagree but generally most matelots/matelotesses will judge you on your sense of humour, positive attitude, integrity and professionalism rather than what turns you on or who you choose to sleep with. Provided your not a ginger Man Utd fan, you'll fit in fine (pun intended)... :thumbleft:

danny

War Hero
I know loads of people who are gay/bi in the navy and marines. If you can take banter and laugh at yourself you will be fine. I have found that genuine bullying is stamped on by the group and there is never normally a need for it to go higher.
Just remember the service lifestyle is very much one of banter. If you feel you can't laugh at yourself then you might find the lifestyle hard. I am skinny and rats I don't let it get to me.
The most hard done to group of people are gingers, so I would be more worried about being ginger than gay if I was you.

G

guestm

I have found that genuine bullying is stamped on by the group and there is never normally a need for it to go higher.
Just remember the service lifestyle is very much one of banter. If you feel you can't laugh at yourself then you might find the lifestyle hard. I am skinny and rats I don't let it get to me.
The most hard done to group of people are gingers, so I would be more worried about being ginger than gay if I was you.

Apart from fat people. Fat people should be bullied continuously without remorse

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A/s/l?

Don't believe a word he tells you, R3..! :shock:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
1 Packages in basic training Nearest & Dearest 11
BreechSpike Basic Training - sailing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
T basic training Joining the Royal Navy 9
ShinySideUp June 09th Basic Training?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K basic training easter leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Raleigh Basic Training Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Basic Training Advice Joining the Royal Navy 22
B After basic training Joining the Royal Navy 4
P Raleigh Basic Training 15th October?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Anyone joining got PRNC Date as 18th September and Basic Training 5th November? Joining the Royal Navy 5
Genghis PAYD during Basic training Joining the Royal Navy 21
P Basic training on the 22nd of Jan Joining the Royal Navy 10
B Basic training for reservists Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
G Basic Training 1989 History 3
C Basic Training, What weight bergen do you have to carry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Staring basic training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Raleigh basic training Joining the Royal Navy 19
B Basic training Joining the Royal Navy 11
Jake K Basic training Sunday 15th May 2016. Joining the Royal Navy 4
I Basic Training Start Date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Jake K PASSED PRNC, Basic training starting 15th May. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
G Few basic training questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B How long till your basic training after fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Basic Training nerves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
kosta433 Basic Training kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Basic training kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
J Different basic training for different positions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J basic navy training. Health & Fitness 9
P Basic training pay question Finance & Pensions 6
T Changing Basic Training Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B basic training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
BFRS STCW 95 Basic Safety Training The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS STCW 95 Basic Safety Training The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS STCW Basic Safety Training Week The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
T Stories From Basic Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D starting basic training on the 27th of may (summer leave) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Engineering Cadetship Fitness/Basic Training RFA 6
N info needed on basic training at HMS Raleight please Nearest & Dearest 12
N Basic training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Basic training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
B Is there any feedback for the new basic training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
D basic training 24th july Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
mat1baker1 10 weeks basic training?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
B Can anyone remember the basic training series on tv. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
E Basic Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 68
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
LeTache88 Is there a break between basic training and phase 2? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
F May bank holiday- Basic Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1