Basic Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ellisdove, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all ,

I was just wondering if when you go to raleigh to do basic . Do you train 7 days a week or do you get some days off during the week for resting / personal time.

Thanks ,sorry if this is a daft question.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

8 Days a week mate, the training team down there have the ability to stretch the week.

Dont worry, training doesn't last forever.
  3. Is that 8 days a week with or without dog watch sports??
  4. 5 days a week, dueing the first couple of weeks you may go do things on a saturday. You still do cleaning station on saturday and sunday! You get a extra bit of time in bed on a sunday, then get ready for church. I didnt make it through training but got to the 8th week so, thats what it was like in them 8 weeks.
  5. Chico - BTW, Are you going to attempt the RN again when your year is up? Or are you for frying other fishes?

6. Chicogiz what happened that you didnt make it through training ? if you don't mind me asking that is mate.

7. He failed his kit musters.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

...and didn't use his 'rest days' to his advantage.

Unfortunately those who don't prepare with regard fitness and simple tasks such as washing & ironing frequently become unstuck.

Nowadays, with extremely long periods between passing selection & starting Initial Naval Training there's no excuse & 'training extensions' for those that fail to make the grade are a thing of the past.
  9. Kit musters ,is when you iron your clothing etc to a standard set by the navy isnt it ? Also whats all this 'A4' talk of ironing ? Do you have to iron your bed sheets ? Once I finally sign up , I will be taking the time to exercise daily , brush up on my ironing skills and washing skills ,and generally anything that is required of me .
  10. More importantly, I can't decide between the Phillips Turbosteam or Morphy Richards Powerspray iron, any ideas which would be best for kit musters? I've heard the Turbosteam is better for making things nice and flat but the Powerspray is the daddy for creases. Do you reckon creases or overall flatness is more important.

Perhaps I should get both.
  11. You don't need an iron. Female trainees will iron all your kit for you because they are too weak to roll down their kit bags neatly, so you do it for them. This also leads to said female trainee providing you with a nosh in the church bogs which improves morale.

It's a win-win-win.
  12. Sorry Monty according to seadog you need to post a link to gain recognition of your opinion. :wink:
  13. someone on this forum said that a press was better to take than an iron...
  14. Are you sure they didn't say "a squeeze"? :D
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If they did, it was a joke.

As always, verify anything stated on here with your AFCO at risk of otherwise making a career-stopping mistake.
  16. Lol thanks for clearing that up Ninja :) Is the hospital corners info legit? I have been practicing this ,not too hard . Do the recruits iron the bed sheets aswell ?
  17. Yes hospital corners, yes iron bed sheets.
  18. Ok ,what would people say was the main reason for recruits not passing phase 1 training or being booted out early ?
  19. I heard it was due to lack of ironing skills.
  20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Lack of motivation, home sickness and generally realising the job was not for them.

Get past that and it seems to be the old admin vortex syndrome.

Fail to prepare
    prepare to fail and all that.

As the Ninja points out, there's not time given in training anymore to pick up the slack.