basic training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mark33, Jan 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi does anyone know how many on average people enter raleigh for basic training each week and of those who actually begin training how many pass out? After having this discussion with my other half the other day i was intrigued to know how many actually pass and fail. If people are serious about wanting to be in the navy surely they will do their damned hardest to pass. Ok some people have injuries but you wait along time for an opportunity so is just lack of preperation that make people drop out and an attitude of cant do this anymore. Also what other reasons do people not make pass out parade? I know for sure that when i finally get my date through which at the moment seems like an endless wait i will do all i can to make it. Just hoping my date comes soon.

2. your in the same boat as me mate best thing you can do is just prepare prepare prepare

3. Just prepare as much you can, have the right frame of mind and you will be laughing.

4. im going in 6 weeks and i have got myself in a nice routine of fitness and housework I.E ironing, hand washing and making a bed with hospital corners. But im scared that i have prepared my self so much which could lead to fail.

5. its better preparing loads then not preparing at all mate, hope all go's well

6. cheers bunsy i hope it goes gd as well

7. 8)

8. Fail to prepare = prepare to fail!

I'll get me coat.

9. Poor fitness is the number 1 reason why people fail basic training. The difference between getting back classed and failing basic training could be immaturity. It's a good idea to keep your mouth shut up and don't be the loud mouth of the group.

Attitude problems and back chatting to staff at Raleigh is not a good idea because if you fail a test, the staff will choose to fail you. On the other hand, if you come across as a likeable recruit to the staff, they will most likely back class you rather than fail you and tell you to go home.

When I go, i'm going to keep my mouth firmly shut. I'm naturally a very quiet person anyway, so this won't be a problem for me.

10. being honest....all those that start with you on the first day will not be there on the last day...some will quit/fail

just be honest, ENTHUSIASTIC and work as hard as you can..you will be fine

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Weekly intakes at Raleigh running at between 55-60 at present. Bear in mind that it varies regionally, but about only about 25% of applicants pass selection in my region & get as far as a ticket to Raleigh.

Wastage is running at around 10% ish, the majority of which, around 7%, is people leaving voluntarily - often through homesickness/partner pressure, although it's seldom admitted.

On average about 5 or 6 per week are failing the fitness assessment week one, which is a very poor figure which elicits little sympathy however the majority subsequently pass after "remedial PT" for a few days.

The remainder discharged are usually either discharged unsuitable for failing kit musters, dodgy attitude and finally medical discharges through a variety of reasons.

12. Nobody arrives at Raleigh thinking that they won't make it. However, the change in lifestlye and adapting to new routines and having restrictions imposed on them for things that they would normally take for granted can be a bit of a culture shock. A positive attitude is a must, and for anyone who thinks that they can beat the system, quickly becomes a victim of the warning system and find themselves being discharged through a lack of ability or willingness to conform.

As NJ stated, many cannot cope with being away from home and give other reasons for no longer wanting a naval career. However, as keen as some people are, some will never be able to cope with being in a disciplined military environment and no matter how hard they try, they fail. You have to want it enough and to be able to cope with it, and to be as enthusiastic in equal measure about the good and bad points of training.

13. You can help the rest of us out then? :wink:

14. Looks like he will be class leader Tim :wink: and you might be getting your A**E kicked frequently by the GI :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Fcuk me you know about the FFL, Marines and Navy basic, and you have not even started yet.

16. 60 a week is more than i expected really, given the size of the Royal Navy. I was watching a US Navy video on youtube and they pass out 43,000 recruits a year!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

According to the last RN Pocket Brief there are 38,450 in the entire Royal Navy including Royal Marines & those in training.

18. Yeah, but they're shit.

19. Please drakey - don't mince your words!! :lol:

20. Who gave you a shake