Basic Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scarface2009, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering as i have heard many things about it, Is the Naval Basic training more intense than the Army Basic Training, i have heard that the Naval training is not as intense when it comes to fitness levels, but i have also heard that the fitness is a step behind marines.

No Joke, just what i have been told, off people who are in the forses and people who are not.

2. Yet another tw*t worrying about a BASIC level of fitness...gafukinzillions of people have joined the forces and nearly all of them complete the fitness level with no problem...somehow this site has become the Mecca for fat lard arse bastards to seek a psychological hug to cuddle them through.

Grow a fu*kin spine, get a pair of trainers, stop shovelling cake down yer fat grids, ditch yer playstation and start thinking for yourself.

I guess they are waiting for their "Human Rights" to allow their Mummy's to hold their hands during the Assault Course....

3. I know where you are comming from, i am confident i will pass all the tests, i have gave up drinking, i am at the gym and out running 5 days a week, i was just curius thats all, just in was wondering if there is a big diffrence between the two forces.

4. The basic fitness requirements:-

1.5 mile run (2.4 km) age/sex dependent for timings (annually throughout your career)

Gym test - Press ups, sit-ups and a shuttle run

Swimming test - Tread water for 2 mins, swim 50m whilst wearing overalls

Obstacle course

Dartmoor walk

plus other gym/fitness sessions

But yes we are probably less intense than the Army, but I suppose we can afford to be, our job is not out in the field.

SM

:)

5. Cheers Supermario

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Spid you are bottling things up, let your real feeling out then T will be along to give you a hug.

7. That should be more than enough on the fitness front, now get back on the ale (for social training - v. important) and learn to frikkin' spell !!!!!!

8. :?:

9. Used for emphasis only - i would explain but doubtless the linguistic nuances would be lost on you. :D :D :D

10. Doubt it :p

11. Navy training has a 80% drop out rate, it is usually considered the most intense training in the world, harder than most Special Forces training. It is not uncommon for people to die either due to winter/heat injuries especially on the escape and evasion phase. And the Jungle phase seems to get rid of a good 20% of people.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Navy training = 80% drop out.
    Jungle training = 20% drop out.
    Therefore, 80% + 20% = 100% drop out.

Am I the only fecker here that's still working?! 8O :lol:

13. Do you not get bored with every one of your quotes being of the middle aged sarcastic sound bite variety?

14. Technically all he's said is that there's an 80% overall drop out rate and that the jungle phase is responsible for 20% of this, but seeing as the entire thing is meant as a joke why are we even arguing. Regards intensity of basic I'd guess that the army's fitness is more intense as that is what they're require to do, however in week 4 of navy basic training you do NMT and you are required to learn in 3.5 days what the army learn in 2 weeks, or so I was told. I also found myself wondering whilst bulling my boots one day whether the Army is more strict on kit or less strict bearing in mind that they're spending more time on fitness and out on exercise, do they have to change into 3's in the evening and get them washed by the morning for example?

15. Look, the people who are saying you don't need to worry about this until you get there are spot on. However, I would say, as someone who has been on the staff at Raleigh, that the navy tend to be much more **** about how kit is cleaned and laid out for inspection. But just think yourself lucky, you get duvets and washing machines- when I worked there New Entry got blankets, hospital corners, and had to hand wash everything- and that was this century, yes.

Now go and enjoy your remaining time as a civvy, you'll find out all you need to know soon enough...

16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:roll: Good one!!!!

:lol: Alarm goes off at 3.06am, couple of raw eggs and off to pound the streets to the Rocky theme tune. Good one!!!!! :roll:

17. we still have to do hospital corners and hand wash everything ~(minus 4s). washing machines? we don't get to use them!

18. So how come you all end up with a laundry bill at the end of Phase One then?

19. What do you mean you've stopped drinking, the most important fitness in the navy is being pub fit.

20. As Janner said, I've come along to give you a big hug! :biggrin: