Basic training kit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Flinty1234, Jan 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have all my kit ready for my intake In a few weeks except one item: a white permanent marker. any one have any guidance on getting the correct one?

2. Can get them on amazon mate. Get a few of them if i was you they run out quick and people seem to get sticky hands around them. Also try Ryman if you have one near you. Sometimes referred to as paint pens i think.

3. so the paint pens are the correct thing?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've often heard tell of this legendary white permanent marker & am curious...

Is it on your kitlist, provided by the AFCO?

If not, from whence does this requirement spring? (The AFCO joining letter kitlist is produced by HMS Raleigh).

5. yes it's on the kit list provided by the AFCO, my guess is it is for marking darker tags or to cover any marks on the cap

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just a tip, don't even try it, it'll stick out like a sore thumb and get you in the poo.

7. I understand that from cadets, never seen a white permenant pen before though

8. Pick up a laundry pen from Wilkinson they do the job

9. Get yourself a silver sharpie they mark well and don't wash out unlike the white pens, also a lot easier to get your hands on.

10. jay jay I have the laundry marker, however I can't find the White one. and proud mum, it's a good idea however it says white on the list

11. The silver sharpie looks white when you write on dark coloured clothes, I know it's ok because my lad only passed out of Raleigh in October.
    They don't care what you use as long as it marks your black socks etc, but as I said the other ones wash out so you need to keep remarking but not the sharpie.
    Good luck Flinty.

12. proud mum, thank you I may have to take one with me along with the White one, well done to your son also. and rn458scc thank you for the link

13. "wet wipe erasable" rn458scc

14. Don't forget to mark your kit, my friend at Raleigh got a warning for not making one of his shirts haha

15. Hey dude I just went on Amazon and typed in white laundy pen and bought one for pennies, just make sure ti read the description and make sure it says "marks fabric"

16. As the previous one I bought wouldn't mark fabric

17. could you drop a link? if it's not too much trouble?

18. I'll try. Hold on 2mins