Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cantreadcantwrite, Jun 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Dearies,

Yet another crab seeing the light and crossing to the dark blue....

I am due to attend the basic sea survival course at Portsmouth - what does this entail exactly? I trust I wont need to get wet or set on fire. I dont want my mascara to run!

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't take yer handbag, if it fills with water it'll take you down :thanks:
  3. You will spend most of the week wet, unlikely to be set on fire unless you really ferk it up. Oh and you will be getting gassed to. Great fun, you will enjoy every minute!
  4. At least now they use the gas rigs you won't spend the following few days looking like something from The Cure :D
  5. Did it make you look like you had lip stick on?

Phew, glad I missed that!
  6. Lipstick no, eye shadow etc, yes.
    Bloody mare to get rid of too, especially around the eyes and fingertips :)
  7. You are gonna tell me you don't miss the soot and stink of the diesel fires at Horsea Island next and then we will really start to wonder.

At least the jumping off stage at the lake no longer looks like it is about to disintegrate beneath you!
  8. Well, at least THEY were realistic!
    Unlike the Creature Comfort TV Set they use today ;)

I got set alight once during an ISSC by some git the other side of a closed door with his ladle of burny stuff.
    I was Attack Party (Ovvies and AntiFlash), ran up to the top and down the first ladder to the closed door where upon this nob threw his ladle full at the door base. Went straight through and all over me!
    Next thing the Chief of the unit was dragging me backwards out of the safety doors :D
    Cheeky twat thought I might want to go and sit down too! Bloody nerve!
  9. That was probably deliberate, to encourage you to jump!
  10. There is of course always the option of trapping your instructor!
  11. Do you trap a new one each time you have to get back in date Rosie?
  12. Rosie would never have any problem floating with those floatation aids.
  13. Only done it the once, and hope never to have to do it again.
  14. WE used to do it in the RNXS... I couldn't manhandle someone into the rubbery life capsule thingy again. Do they still make you jump off the diving board at great hight (over 10ft!!!) in ovvies with your lifejacket on, arm across chest holding onto the lifejacket and pinching your nose with the other hand, or have times changed (making one jump off the diving board at great hight is just plain cruel when you're scared of hights!)
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Speak for yourself!
  16. A_a_C you wuss!! That is all part of the fun. The only down side if you only get to do it again every 3 years. Certaining beats doing a proper job.

Doing BSSC at this time of year is a doddle as at least you don't have to break through the ice on the lake!
  17. Is that a Monastic Order, a disease or a pop group? :jocolor: