barred for depression?

biceps02

Yesterday within 5 minutes of seeing the doctor for my medical I was told I was unfit psychologically because I'd disclosed depression and going to counselling which ended last August.

I am confused because depression was not listed on the list of conditions that preclude entry. The words I wrote about the external circumstances that led to my depression were taken in isolation to the context and no further exploration was sought from my GP as to the level of my depression which was mostly mild. I never took medication.

I had stated that I had been in counselling for 6 months but in fact my depression lifted after a month and the counselling was more life coaching on career decisions and techniques on stress management. I was not given the opportunity to explain this as the interview was quick and categoric and having the rug pulled from under my feet left me shocked. I am therefore making an appeal.

If anyone has any knowledge as to whether there is flexibility on the part of the powers that be to reconsider my case, I would be most grateful.

tommo

War Hero
Angrydoc on here is our resident Naval MO. He know doubt will give you an answer but you may not get an answer you look for.

The medical entry requirements are set in stone

Polto

War Hero
Is it just me or has there been an increase lately in the amount of people not liking what they're being told and seeing if they can find an alternative way of achieving the aim? :?

Shackles_and_Flags

Lantern Swinger
Polto said:
Is it just me or has there been an increase lately in the amount of people not liking what they're being told and seeing if they can find an alternative way of achieving the aim? :?

Times are hard in Civvy Street!!

biceps02

It's not a case of not liking what one is told. It's a case of following a procedure that is already in place as informed by the AFCO when one experiences unprofessional practice. A medical examination should be what it claims to be.

tommo

War Hero
But if the regulations state your depression bars you from entry then how can it be unprofessional practice?

Polto

War Hero
bicepts02 said:
It's not a case of not liking what one is told. It's a case of following a procedure that is already in place as informed by the AFCO when one experiences unprofessional practice. A medical examination should be what it claims to be.

I guess your idea of a medical examination is different to the medical examiners idea of a medical examination in this case...if you see what I mean... :?

biceps02

The Guidance Notes listed schizophrenia, OCD, PTSD, and the likes but did not list depression so the information I have now is ambiguous and I am seeking clarity. It would be helpful to know what is written in stone and what is a guideline with room for flexibility.

lonestar

War Hero
On something like depression I very much doubt it is the job of the GP doing your AFCO Medical to examine you. Rather they would be looking to see if any of the medical history declared on your form would immediately bar you from entry. It is obviously the case that your declaration regarding your mental health was enough to satisfy him/her.

If you are judging your claim that her examination was insufficient on the basis that she didn't do a thorough assessment of your mental health now then perhaps you are misunderstanding her role and the importance of medical history.